News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Neil, Phillip, any news on your game?  It would be great to get the semi-finals played in August or early September, to allow the final to be played before the end of October at the very latest.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
Sorry Mark, we have tried but failed, not helped by much work travel on my part.

Neil, how are you placed weekend of Aug 26/27? If we can play then i am a starter; if not i will offer a walkover.

Philip

James Boon

« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
I'm in Scotland for a few days late August, so Niall and I are hoping to play our game on Mon 28 Aug, probably at Pitlochry.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ed Tilley

« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »
Sorry Mark, we have tried but failed, not helped by much work travel on my part.

Neil, how are you placed weekend of Aug 26/27? If we can play then i am a starter; if not i will offer a walkover.

Philip

I mentioned to Tony when he ruthlessly exploited my wild driving in round 2 that I would be happy to host the next round at Frilford Heath. I am happy to do so still and a potential solution would be to get Neil, Philip and Tony to Frilford on 26th or 27th August - either is fine for me. Both rounds could then be played on the same day - on 2 of the 3 courses of your choosing. Let me know if this is something that is of interest.

Ed

James Boon

« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2017, 10:49:03 AM »
Niall and I met early yesterday morning so that I could squeeze in a round while on a few days holiday. Plenty of dark clouds over the course at Pitlochry, but thankfully the blue skies generally kept them at bay. Niall's one previous round and being much closer to home meant he clearly had home advantage, but he was also clever enough to bring his A game... After a rubbish start by me, 3 birdies in the last 6 holes all came far too late and with Niall throwing a couple of his own in through those holes meant I lost 4&3.

I can promise that despite appearances this wasn't a logistical defeat!

Niall, good luck against Ian in the semi final!

Ran has put Pitlochry in his Courses by Country, and I'll post a few photos myself when I've a, figured out how to use Flickr rather than Photo*ucke* and b, have a good enough internet connection!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall C

« Reply #280 on: August 29, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
I think it’s fair to say that I brought my A game which was sadly missing down at BUDA. It’s also fair to say that Pitlochry suited my game, being short, wide and having tricky greens. You could say I putted James to death. The first two holes present a bit of a climb but due to the interest in the first hole in particular the climb isn’t as bad as it looks.

One of the features of the course is the shaping with various stepped terrace arrangements around greens which is well highlighted by the open nature and general short grass maintenance regime. Unfortunately the club have planted a few young trees here and there which is unfortunate and hopefully they will have a rethink on that. What existing trees there are on the course (as opposed to on the fringes of the course) are mostly superb examples of mature silver birch and don’t really come into play unlike the new additions.

That aside, I’d happily recommend a game at Pitlochry.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
As an aside, it took us just over two and a half hours to get round.

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #282 on: August 29, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:03:19 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sam Krume

« Reply #283 on: August 29, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
Any further news regarding the southern part of the draw?.....

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2017, 04:47:20 AM »
...... It’s also fair to say that Pitlochry suited my game, being short, wide and having tricky greens. .....

Niall

OK, currently looking for recommendations of courses in Central Scotland that are long, narrow and having straightforward greens  :)

Niall C

« Reply #285 on: August 30, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
Ian

Here’s a suggestion, and I’ve no idea as to its length/width or trickiness of the greens but what about Bathgate ? I’ve never played it but have gone by it on the train numerous times and it does look as though it’s got some interesting holes. I think Rich might have played it and might be able to comment. It is an inland course so probably has about another month before it reverts to a bog for the winter.

Thoughts ? Any other ideas welcome.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »
...... It’s also fair to say that Pitlochry suited my game, being short, wide and having tricky greens. .....

Niall

OK, currently looking for recommendations of courses in Central Scotland that are long, narrow and having straightforward greens  :)

The new course at Glenagles off the tips?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #287 on: August 30, 2017, 10:52:05 AM »
Great Idea Tony, if you can arrange access at a concessionary greenfee then I’d be very happy to play at Gleneagles. ;D

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #288 on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
Ian

Here’s a suggestion, and I’ve no idea as to its length/width or trickiness of the greens but what about Bathgate ? I’ve never played it but have gone by it on the train numerous times and it does look as though it’s got some interesting holes. I think Rich might have played it and might be able to comment. It is an inland course so probably has about another month before it reverts to a bog for the winter.

Thoughts ? Any other ideas welcome.

Niall

Bathgate would be  a first for me too so it's a possible. I'll drop you an email so we don't clutter the forum with practicalities.

BTW my niece did manage to provide  a round at Gleneagles for four of us by winning a voucher at her work Xmas dinner raffle much to my delight and the chagrin of her golf-playing male co-workers. If Carlsberg made neices...... Playing the Kings in two weeks time and looking forward to it very much.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
I'd LOVE to play Bathgate with you guys if you'll have me. Home of TWO former Ryder Cup Captains!!!
Growing up in nearby Whitburn, I last played it aged 16 with my PE Teacher, who was a member there. Given that's just a tad over forty years ago, my memories are hazy at best, but I remember it was fun. Almost got an Assistant Pro Post there too, before deciding Uni life would be more fun. The old British Leyland plant which ran alongside is long gone too...thank god we don't have to suffer the Allegros and Maxis anymore!

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
Anyone interested in making a four ?

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
Anyone interested in making a four ?

Niall

Niall,

If the day/date works I'd be up for making it a four.

Niall C

« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
Excellent, looks like we've got a four. I'll email all concerned with details.

Cheers

Niall

Sam Krume

« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2017, 04:13:50 AM »
What's happening on the knockout front..is it still on?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
Very much so.  Philip has conceded to Neil, so Tony and Neil need to get a game to decide your semi-final opponent.  The other semi is already arranged (see above).  Tony, Neil, can we get your QF arranged ASAP, please?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sam Krume

« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2017, 06:43:20 AM »
Mark,
Many thanks for the update regarding the southern side of the draw. I've seen the "Northeners" cracking on!!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:22:50 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #297 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:14:12 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »
Niall and I met today to contest our semi-final in sunny Bathgate (honest). Marty Bonnar joined us for the round. I nosed ahead taking the two opening holes but Niall's short game got warmed up from there and made it tough for me to compete. I survived until the 16th when another flat bunker proved my downfall. Give me a pot bucket anyday! So a well deserved 3&2 win sees Niall into the final and I wish him good luck, he deserved the win today.

Marty took a number of photos of sunny Bathgate which I hope he posts. I was very pleasantly surprised by the variety of holes and green complexes as well as the fast and true running surfaces. It was a little soggy already but frankly at the price it is well worth a visit. Some very pretty holes and vistas and a few challenging small greens make for a good experience.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:43:43 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back