News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2017, 03:55:32 AM »

Sean,

I hadn't realised Littles Aston was in Scotland. Oh wait its not, in fact it isn't even northern England  ;)

Jon

James Boon

« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
Sorry Mark, Sean took the bait on my joke about him grumbling...  ::)

I can't see a better way of doing it at present and you have done a great job in getting this going, so thanks you for your time on this which I know we all appreciate! And thanks also to Mike Whitaker who constantly updates the draw and results sheet!  :)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2017, 04:38:50 AM »
Geez, Sean, give it a rest.

There isn't a Scottish section.  You and James were the southernmost of the northern half.  Which of the southern section should have been in it instead?  Perhaps you'd like to arrange it next year, then you can choose whichever section you want to be in?

Chill dude   :)  Boony raised the matter and I wrote that I was perplexed by the draw.  To answer your question....Ben Stephens is rather obvious. 

It wasn't my intention to upset you.  Thanks for organizing.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:05:58 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Sam Krume

« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
Unfortunately Marc has had to concede our match that was due to be played this Thursday, due too feeling like a certain Mr Woods(bad back and unable to move). So....I am free this Thursday if anybody is free for a game and will travel as was set to drive down to Wilts from Surrey. Round 3 awaits....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:17:55 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »
Geez, Sean, give it a rest.

There isn't a Scottish section.  You and James were the southernmost of the northern half.  Which of the southern section should have been in it instead?  Perhaps you'd like to arrange it next year, then you can choose whichever section you want to be in?

Chill dude   :)  Boony raised the matter and I wrote that I was perplexed by the draw.  To answer your question....Ben Stephens is rather obvious. 

It wasn't my intention to upset you.  Thanks for organizing.

Ciao

Hmm I can see Sean's gripe about this :) - Mark you have done a cracking job with the help of Mike W to do the drawsheet

James is geographically further north than me and yes I am probably further north than you Sean :)

Learning from this maybe next year the bands will be specifically Scotland, North, Midlands and South for early rounds - I am actually with the Southern guys

Robin is travelling a lot further than me to play the Sacred nine on May 14th thanks to the support from a fellow GCAer for allowing us to play on that day
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:29:27 PM by Ben Stephens »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
Any news on any of the other so far unplaid 2nd round games?  Can we get these played by the end of May?

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2017, 03:48:30 PM »
Clyde and I have e-mailed.  I'm waiting for his latest reply to my suggesion of Bonnyton as our venue (new for both of us, Dr. MacK, etc.).  I'll be back in Scotland 9 May, and I'm sure we'll have a match played before the end of the month.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Marc Haring

« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2017, 02:41:39 AM »
Sorry Guy's but due to poor health I am having to concede my match to Sam Krume.

Neil White

« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2017, 03:53:39 AM »
Phil & I are looking to sort something out in the next few weeks at Tadmarton.

Just putting some dates together.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
Johnson v. Goodale is now booked at High Noon at Bonnyton 10 May.  Spectators can buy entrance through Ticketmaster for seven shillings/six pence.  Only old money accepted.
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

James Bennett

« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »
what about a paper 5 pound note?  Does that get access to the corporate facilities?
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
what about a paper 5 pound note?  Does that get access to the corporate facilities?

Yes it does, James.  All net proceeds will be channelled to JamesGobyQuaichc/oGettit&Fuggedit@CaymanIslands.con
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #238 on: May 07, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
Any news on any of the other so far unplaid 2nd round games?  Can we get these played by the end of May?

All matches played in Scotland must be plaid in played!
 ;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
Beat me to it Marty!!

But of course as I think about it all this play on the word played and plaid is being done by Sassenachs in an attempt to undermine any Scots left in this match to end all matches.  They have just plaid wi' oor heids!!!

P.S. And I think this competition was a sterling idea and to wager with nothing but pennies, ha'pennies and farthings is a beautiful concept James!

Cheers Col.
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »
Beat me to it Marty!!

But of course as I think about it all this play on the word played and plaid is being done by Sassenachs in an attempt to undermine any Scots left in this match to end all matches.  They have just plaid wi' oor heids!!!

P.S. And I think this competition was a sterling idea and to wager with nothing but pennies, ha'pennies and farthings is a beautiful concept James!

Cheers Col.

The whole thing is a thinly-veiled anti-Brexit plot!
#itsooroyulllllll!!!!!
Slainte,
Cuz F.
 ;D

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

James Bennett

« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2017, 02:27:29 AM »
Colin

as of this week, a 5-pound paper note is as useful as a couple of pennies.  No longer legal tender, apparently.
They have plastic ones now, just like the colonies.

Hence, my humourous remark attempt.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
Well, me and Rich headed east from The Kingdom to the Lanarkshire moors for our second round match at Bonnyton. A birdie on the second saw Rich two-up, and by the seventh tee the match was finely poised at one-up to myself, when bad health unfortunately got the better of Rich. Thankfully, Niall Carlton was along for the ride...

MacKenzie is reputed to have advised and supervised on the course (1922/23), and his influence still remains clear, if not as well-highlighted as his work deserves. Trees, which must number in the 1000+ range, stifle a rumpled landscape and views north to Glasgow and the Lomond mountains.

Three parallel fours open proceedings, greens raised or benched high, with the third wickedly tiered:

The short holes are a real strength, with the fourth green intruded by a central role to the rear. Briefly opening up, the fifth plays over a heathy crest, tumbling downhill, your second will want to carry just beyond the cross bunkers, and close to the boundary, for the ground falls hard and right towards, yet away, from the skinny green:

A short-five and mid-five over crumpled flatter ground gives way to the up-hill eighth, a strong four whose green is crafted a top of an angled ridge. Sadly the false front has been abruptly held-up:

Playing from shoulder to shoulder, the ninth green rolls up and over to the right:

Over the top and down for ten; then, the eleventh shapes left, a drawn drive tumbling down a ruffled step will open up a green that is tucked deftly behind the shoulder of a slope:

The short twelfth is sat into a shelf; it is easy to imagine the rear-right bunker, sand flashed up high, and the green expanded in behind the sweeping rear nose:

A short-four follows, the green sits angled on a slight rise. Then you turn again, this time the three is a beast, narrowing as it protrudes out from the hillside:

Don't miss right (!) - trees in front of the tee hide any indication of danger:

Another short, downhill four gives way to a forgettable five, though its green is 'MacKenzie'd' from high-right to low-left. Amidst some fine shapes, a brook cuts across the seventeenth, hindering the ideal line to an almost boomeranged green. The bunker lip makes it very tricky to hold the green, let alone the high-left shelf:

To finish, a climb up a shelved hillside, the green most likely out of view beyond the diagonal-ing hill crest. And so, a very solid "4" as per my interpretation of the Doak Scale, but only a tornado, and odd bunker refinement, away from something a little more!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:09:49 PM by Clyde Johnson »

Niall C

« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
Well done Clyde, and commiserations to Rich. It was a shame that Rich had to stop as it was shaping up to be a good match.

Bonnyton - I'd only ever walked it before a couple of years ago and I'm pleased to say it played a good bit better than I thought it would. Probably largely do to the dry conditions and plenty of run that the ball was getting. In recent years it's been rare where I've had to land a ball short of an inland green to allow for the run but there was plenty of run here.

I thought there was some v. good par 4's but the pick of the bunch were the par 3's, in particular the 170 yard 14th. Loads of interesting ground movement which if I was being hypercritical of Clydes photographic skills I'd say doesn't really show in his photos. With regards to the Doak scale, I'm never sure how that works but I'd suggest it's worth a wee bit more than a 4.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
Congratulations to the northern contingent, who have now identified 4 quarter finalists.  The South, meanwhile, has just one, and that as a result of a concession.  Let's get these games played!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:56:24 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »

Congratulations to the northern contingent, who have now identified 4 quarter finalists.  The South, meanwhile, has just one, and that as a result of a concession.  Let's get these games played!

Well that's southerners for you Mark, not reliable at all ;D

Rich,

I hope it is nothing serious and that you recover well.

Jon

Ben Stephens

« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »

Well that's southerners for you Mark, not reliable at all ;D

Rich,

I hope it is nothing serious and that you recover well.

Jon

Robin and I are playing our match on the sacred nine this Sunday. We are playing foursomes in the morning (Spangles is coming along) to get a familar feel of the course and then play our match in the afternoon

Neil White mentioned he is playing the African Animal at Tadmarton.

I am sure Spangles and Ed have sorted out their match

Bam Bam

Ben Stephens

« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2017, 03:47:18 AM »
Matthew Dawson, Tony Muldoon, Robin Hiseman and myself all ventured to the sacred nine yesterday.

Matthew and Tony played against Robin and I in the morning foursomes which Matthew and Tony won 2up.

We had a great lunch break with the RW traditional club drink plus wine/port/kummel

Robin and I had our knockout match in the afternoon none of us played that well but lost very few golf balls along the way Robin won 7 and 5  :o :o :o with his four shot advantage coming in handy as well as being a better player

I wish Robin all the best in the next round against Sam Krume. I better get back on the range and practice more golf before BUDA!

Love the simplicity of the club's logo which is a pink jug which is noted for the traditional club drink. Here is Robin with one of the club's pink jug drinks.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2017, 03:57:39 AM »
Well, me and Rich headed east from The Kingdom to the Lanarkshire moors for our second round match at Bonnyton.

Surely heading east from the Kingdom puts you in the North Sea?  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back