News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: UK GCAers - knockout - draw at post 58
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
Thanks Sean,
Still cant see the draw though. Never mind....never can see past the 1st round anyway!!

sam

Sam,

just concentrate on Mr. Payne and worry about the 2nd round later ;)

Sam Krume

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
Jon,
As I said, I cant see past the 1st round anyway. I naver can....I guess from your message you know all about Mr Paynes golfing prowess. Pray tell :)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
Sam, I can tell you that the most extraordinary round of golf I have ever witnessed was Giles' 100 at Burnham & Berrow, with 63 on the front nine.  A 26 shot differential between 9s must be some sort of record.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
Gentlemen,

What a fabulous idea this is!   I would love to have been participating but as I have said in the past "the tyranny of distance" prevents this.

There seems to be a tiny bit of confusion with the draw judging by a few posts but was there ever a GCA event without said confusion!

In response to James Bennet's name for the tournament "The Ashes" I 'umbly submit "The Slashes" .... this may be the extent of the Aussies contribution to this terrific idea!

Oh! The description of play, outrageous fortune, travesties of justice, great holes, and interesting architecture is setting my dear old vicarious heart all aflutter!!

Cheers and have great fun,

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Sam Krume

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »
Sam, I can tell you that the most extraordinary round of golf I have ever witnessed was Giles' 100 at Burnham & Berrow, with 63 on the front nine.  A 26 shot differential between 9s must be some sort of record.

WOW & WOW AGAIN

Michael Graham

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
I know that Giles can play excellent golf with a weight on his back. He carried me for 18 holes in our four ball, better ball match against Lou Duran and Lynn Shackelford at Hollinwell during Buda. He singlehandedly kept us in the match. Get practising Sam!

Sam Krume

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:14 PM »
I know that Giles can play excellent golf with a weight on his back. He carried me for 18 holes in our four ball, better ball match against Lou Duran and Lynn Shackelford at Hollinwell during Buda. He singlehandedly kept us in the match. Get practising Sam!

Seems like I'm definitely up against it with Giles...but as I said in previous posts I dont really expect anything but the 1st round.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
Surely with the later rounds in mind this should be called the 'Long Drive Trophy'  :)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:40:46 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Marc Haring

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
For those that have not a clue who Eddie Waring is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F39NgggvsOU
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:45:55 PM by Marc Haring »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:42:16 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »

Mark...cheers. 

I seem to have been drawn with a load of folks in Scotland! Presumably, there is no time limit for the matches to be completed?  You do reaize that I live closer to London than Manchester?

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:06:05 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Pearce

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2017, 02:36:46 AM »
But nor that far from Nottingham, Sean, where your second round opponent surely lives. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2017, 05:24:28 AM »
Good grief, what size of trophy will we need for that name !!

Niall

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »
It looks like I'm up against either Niall or Michael from Scotland.

Shall we say Silloth in March?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2017, 06:28:09 AM »

An excellent suggestion and totally in the spirit of the competition.  You should be aware, though, that Niall is a former member of Silloth, so would have some home advantage.

Ed Tilley

Re: UK GCAers - any interest in a knockout comp?
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »

Id be interested.
Frilford , Oxfordshire

I'm also interested, and I also play at Frilford. Might be the easiest 1st round match to arrange!

Mark - you missed me out :'(

Never mind - no sense in changing it now. I have more than enough to keep myself busy with all the club tournaments I've entered and a half marathon to run. Hope this is a success and I can play next year. Cheers,

Ed

Niall C

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »

An excellent suggestion and totally in the spirit of the competition.  You should be aware, though, that Niall is a former member of Silloth, so would have some home advantage.

Mark

That's a bit presumptuous of you  ;) . I might add that as far as I know Michael has only played Silloth once and I tend to think that more relevant than me being a former member.

Niall

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »

I knew that.

I didn't know that Michael had played there though.

That could be an issue.  ;)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
Mark

I confirm that Greg T and I have agreed to play our match in March at either Northants County or Copt Heath.

It would be nice to add the venue where the game is played on the KO sheet

Cheers
Ben

Michael Graham

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »

What an egregious slight. This post will be getting printed off and plastered on the walls of the Goswick locker room as my pre-match motivation.

Saying that, it is probably more relevant that Niall and Duncan can find a neutral venue. Spain, Switzerland?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »

Id be interested.
Frilford , Oxfordshire

I'm also interested, and I also play at Frilford. Might be the easiest 1st round match to arrange!

Never mind - no sense in changing it now. I have more than enough to keep myself busy with all the club tournaments I've entered and a half marathon to run. Hope this is a success and I can play next year. Cheers,

Ed
Ed,

I'm really sorry.  But don't be silly, easy to draw you against one of the Southern Byes.  Some quick work in a pub with coins sees you play M Johnson in the first round.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
Given the rugby league theme suggested for the name and on the basis that the trophy will be small but perfectly formed and knowing his love of match play, how about the Jim Goby Quaich?

James Boon

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
Given the rugby league theme suggested for the name and on the basis that the trophy will be small but perfectly formed and knowing his love of match play, how about the Jim Goby Quaich?

I'd be very happy to play for the Jim Goby Quaich, nice suggestion Mark!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ed Tilley

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »

Id be interested.
Frilford , Oxfordshire

Ed
Ed,

I'm really sorry.  But don't be silly, easy to draw you against one of the Southern Byes.  Some quick work in a pub with coins sees you play M Johnson in the first round.

Thanks Mark, and thanks for organising.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back