News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Don't Design From a Position of Fear
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »

Mike,

I think Frank Lloyd Wright name was used well after his death.  RTJ was retired (sort of) and Roger Rulewhich kept RTJ firm alive.  Many big design firms transition well past their founders, sometimes using their initials, or adding names.  Think Joe Finger transitioning to Finger, Dye, Spann, for instance.

So there is precedence, and I am sure IMG always had the goal of the AP brand lasting well beyond the man himself.

BTW, I had a client hire RTJ many years ago. He did so several times in a row, hoping for the notoriety of building RTJ's last course.  I am sure they will market this one as AP's last course if they can.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

I guess the new RTJ thing will be all of the various 'Fazio" designs ... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »

I suspect when some famous architect (who isn't supporting his kids in the family biz) decides he is designing his last one before retiring, he could probably advertise that and double his fee. 

Maybe TD will do that sometime after starting his 49th course ;D !  He could, at least.......Only trouble in marketing that is that many rock bands have supposedly retired, only to make a comeback reunion tour a decade or less later.  What would stop the gca? I vaguely recall JN once said he would only design one per state (or region) but soon had to drop that as the offers came rolling in.

And the reality is, our generation hasn't saved much for retirement.  And, some who did, gave it back to stay in this glamourous biz from 2009 until now.  Many architects I know (and I know most of them) say they will work until they are 70-75 because they have to.  (not much different than other professions/jobs/trades these days)

While I can retire, what would stop me from doing a course now and then, while my health is good, if an old client calls me out of the blue? Of course I would do it (providing it was fun the first time).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:36:18 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »

I suspect when some famous architect (who isn't supporting his kids in the family biz) decides he is designing his last one before retiring, he could probably advertise that and double his fee. 

Maybe TD will do that sometime after starting his 49th course ;D

I just started!  ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
I'm probably about the same age as Tom and Jeff, maybe just a little younger, but I'm currently leading my first ever (not 30th or 40th) solo project. I find fear lurking in every nook, and around every corner. The trouble is, it never calls itself fear. It comes disguised as 'the way things are done today' and as 'you need more money for that' and as 'the audience needs the story spelled out for them'. I'm finding it all quite challenging, trying to name those fears and not have them guide me or rule the day. I think in gca, fear probably comes disguised as 'the average golfer'.
Peter

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:50:09 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »

And talking about I have a question for you historians.  With all due respect to Arnold Palmer,  why is it still being advertised that Arnold Palmer is building a new course at Castle Stuart and why is there still an Arnold Palmer Design co?    Did any of the ODG's , as a company, continue to design after their demise?  If this practice is acceptable then why don't we have someone who is using the Donald Ross name etc?   Will this continue as some of the other Player Signatures die off?

Mike:

I'm sure Jack Nicklaus' sons intend to keep Nicklaus Design going far into the future.  Whether or not clients will care to hire the brand at that point, I don't think anyone can say.

Most of the old dead guys went away during the Depression ... MacKenzie couldn't even get paid for Augusta, so I doubt his family was thinking about future branding opportunities.  However, there is a Donald Ross clothing line, which I assume his granddaughter sold the rights for, so I'm sure it could happen for design, too.  I just don't know that it would sell to developers.

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Tom there was an earlier question about clubs keeping your greens at a speed faster that originally discussed.

As you know, Ballyneal is transitioning to Bent from the original Fescue. I wonder whether they will eventually get too fast. Personally I don't care-I love the contours and if they get silly fast, well, I won't be posting any scores from there!

Vog

Tom_Doak

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
Tom there was an earlier question about clubs keeping your greens at a speed faster that originally discussed.

As you know, Ballyneal is transitioning to Bent from the original Fescue. I wonder whether they will eventually get too fast. Personally I don't care-I love the contours and if they get silly fast, well, I won't be posting any scores from there!

Just because they switch to bent doesn't mean they have to keep them at 12 every day.  That's a pretty dangerous move in the sand hills anyway considering the harsh swings in the climate!

Even at 12, I could find places to put the holes where you could still play and have fun, but there wouldn't be nearly as much variety as there is now.

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2017, 04:38:26 AM »

Just because they switch to bent doesn't mean they have to keep them at 12 every day.  That's a pretty dangerous move in the sand hills anyway considering the harsh swings in the climate!

Even at 12, I could find places to put the holes where you could still play and have fun, but there wouldn't be nearly as much variety as there is now.

Assuming the fescue is doing okay...I am shocked at this decision. 

Which begs the question....assuming the fescue is doing okay, is the course worse for less variety?  In keeping with the GC rankings, should Ballyneal take a hit for using a less versatile grass type in the name of green speeds? 

I gotta say, this is the most disappointing golf news thus far in 2017.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back