News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael J. Moss

In early October, I started a thread that chronicled Mike DeVries’ work at Sunningdale Country Club to complete the last four holes of what can only be described as a very unique golf course renovation. Unique in that the scope of work approached a redesign of a course originally laid out in 1918 by Seth Raynor, but also unique in terms of the time it took us, which from start to finish was the better part of twelve years.

So this was big stuff for our small proud Westchester club and to celebrate its completion, we hosted an event for our friends in the golf and golf course architecture community who we thought would appreciate seeing the course and hearing our story. The day included fourteen holes of golf followed by a Mike DeVries led tour of the four holes he was building (three from scratch) each of which were in various stages of completion. These outdoor activities were followed by a panel discussion moderated by Golfweek’s Brad Klein that included Mike and Ian Andrew. Ian, to our good fortune, happened to be in the neighborhood plying his restoration artistry at (Seth Raynor’s) Knollwood Country Club.

So here is the video of the discussion…A heartfelt thanks to Brad and Ian. They were just terrific. Mike DeVries, can’t thank you enough for reasons too long to list here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iiv7AtjkFjU
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:52:36 AM by Michael J. Moss »

Ian Andrew

Michael,

Thanks for the link ... I've shared it a few times today.

I wish we had more opportunities to interact with other designers in a panel conversation. What I enjoy about it is the room it provides for the conversation to wander into some unusual and very intriguing areas. Not many other formats allow the same latitude. Brad gets props for the first question because it began the unusual journey.

The best you've never heard ... but I have:

South Park symbolism in architectural features
The Mathematics of Mackenzie bunkers
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Michael J. Moss

Hi Ian,

I for one got a lot out of the discussion. You provided a sort of "ah ha" moment for me when you talked about how the rhythm of a round is dictated by how holes each with varying degrees of difficulty interact in a round...that the architect leads the golfer on a path between holes of "opportunity and perseverance." I really liked that! In our case, as the project progressed, some of us started to look at our 11th hole as lacking the same pizzazz as some of the ones that Mike more recently renovated. But my newly enlightened view would hold that the 11th serves an important function in that (along with the short par-3 12th) the player is allowed to catch their breath for an interval before the next stretch of holes that, as you said, “requires absolutely your very best.” And a hole of that type, where the golfer is put on warning – you used the 15th at Kingsley as an example – is now part of our routing, Mike’s 465-yard closer. Like Kingsley, I think we need a spot right near the teeing area where the bottle of Jameson can be discreetly accessed. I suspect there are a few of us who might appreciate the need for a small booster before the assault begins.

“Opportunity versus perseverance!”

Thanks so much for being a part of the day. The three of you were just terrific!

I look forward to going over to see your work at Knollwood.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:02:56 PM by Michael J. Moss »

John Kavanaugh

How many club championships has the v-neck sweater no shirt guy won?

Ed Homsey

My thanks for the posting of that panel discussion video.  I have portions of it several times, trying to understand and absorb the interesting and challenging ideas that Ian, Brad, and Mike present. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back