News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Amarnek

Bandon Dunes 2017
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:35:07 PM »
Eight of us will be flying from St. Louis to Bandon Dunes as a result of the winning bid in a charity auction.  None of us have been there.  Included are lodging for two nights, two rounds of golf and caddie fees.  Most of us will play 18 the day of arrival, 36 the next day and 18 prior to departure from the airport at North Bend.
My questions are:
When is the best time to go (weather-wise)?
What would be the best recommendation for play given the 18-36-18 format? (assuming Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald are a given, should we play Bandon Trails or repeat one of the others)
Finally, any advice on meals?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:44:53 PM by David Amarnek »

Alex Miller

Re: Bandon Dunes 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
The dates aren't set? Presumably during the high-season if this is all won via auction already, July-Aug and even into Sep & Oct for good weather.

I don't think the order of the courses necessarily matters, but personally I'd try to play Bandon Dunes first as it's both playable for all skill-levels and my least favorite of the 4 (which is not an indictment of the course at all). If you can extend your package an extra day to play The Preserve and get some extra golf in I don't think that would be a bad idea - likewise Shorty's is very fun and the Punchbowl is perfect for long summer days post-round with beer in hand.

Oh, also PLAY BANDON TRAILS! Many here will tell you it's their favorite course on the property (it's up there with PD for me) and it'd be foolish to skip it. FOOLISH!  ;D

There's good food all over the property - really can't give much advice here beyond that the Trails restaurant is best visited during lunch between rounds as it's not quite the fun dinnertime environment that The Lodge and McKee's are.

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:46:58 PM »
I love Trails, but I would suggest not making it the second round of the 36-hole day. The hill on 16 tends to burn. Honestly I can't imagine going and not playing any of them, especially on your first visit.

Definitely do Trails clubhouse for lunch.

Try the Punchbowl. So much fun out there, including putts that get airborne. Great practice for the courses too, play around with not aiming at the holes.

I'd go in the summer if price is no object to maximize daylight. If there is some type of limit on the cost, I like March. Rates are more reasonable but there is still plenty of time for 36.

I have not ventured off the property when I've been, but some others might recommend a restaurant or two in town (if you have transportation).

Have a great time!

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
play 'em all
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
I love Trails, but I would suggest not making it the second round of the 36-hole day.

This defies the wisdom of getting out of the wind during the breeziest part of the day.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Gary Sato

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »
Eight of us will be flying from St. Louis to Bandon Dunes as a result of the winning bid in a charity auction.  None of us have been there.  Included are lodging for two nights, two rounds of golf and caddie fees.  Most of us will play 18 the day of arrival, 36 the next day and 18 prior to departure from the airport at North Bend.
My questions are:
When is the best time to go (weather-wise)?
What would be the best recommendation for play given the 18-36-18 format? (assuming Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald are a given, should we play Bandon Trails or repeat one of the others)
Finally, any advice on meals?
Thanks!

You do know that all of your questions have already been answered numerous times on previous threads?  Try using the search function.

Alex Miller

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »
I love Trails, but I would suggest not making it the second round of the 36-hole day.

This defies the wisdom of getting out of the wind during the breeziest part of the day.

Ding ding ding. There are pro's and con's - just depends on if you'd rather be beat up by wind or terrain!

David Amarnek

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »
Based on the advice given, we're going to try and stay an extra day and enjoy the entire resort.
Gary Sato,
Happy Holidays!

Matt OBrien

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »
Just got back from a 4 days trip to Bandon and we had a great time. You could ask 10 different people to rank the 4 courses there you will get 4 different answers. Bottom line is that they are all great. The only advice I will give you is to make sure you play the par 3 course. It is the most fun part of the entire property!!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:05:49 PM »
Old Macdonald was designed for the summer wind. Do not play any other time or you will enjoy it dramatically less. The guys I know that played it in summer, loved it. In winter, it was least favorite of the four.

Get the meat loaf.
Mr Hurricane

Bill Healy

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 06:00:37 PM »
Add two days to your trip and play all the courses.
If you limit your time and courses you will be disappointed later.
Venture off property to Bandon town for supper.
Have fun.
Bill Healy

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
As others have said, you will get different opinions.  If you are going to stay another day, I would recommend the following:

Day 1: Bandon Dunes PM
Day 2: Pacific Dunes AM - Bandon Trails - PM
Day 3: The Preserve AM - Old Macdonald - PM
Day 4 : Pacific Dunes AM

My favorite was Old Mac.  It resembled pure links golf to me more than the others.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
Just got back from a 4 days trip to Bandon and we had a great time. You could ask 10 different people to rank the 4 courses there you will get 4 different answers. Bottom line is that they are all great. The only advice I will give you is to make sure you play the par 3 course. It is the most fun part of the entire property!!!

Preserve is an essential play.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 05:40:41 PM »
Don't play Old Mac 3 days apart or you will get relatively the same pin positions. A crime for a course with greens that big.

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:24 PM »
 8)  Caddies joked about OldMac and Trails in one day being a caddy killer!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Underwood

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
I have been to Bandon Dunes seven times since 2005.  There are no right or wrong answers, but my opinion is as follows:

1) The best chance to avoid rain is to go in June, July, August, or September.  It does not rain much in the summer months, but the wind blows harder in my opinion.  The longer days in June and early July allow for more rest between rounds on days that you play more than 18 holes.

2) On your first trip to Bandon Dunes play every course on property.  There is not a single best course, but rather four great courses.  In your group of eight I would wager that every course offered will be someone's favorite.

3) The food is pretty good all over the property.  Trails End is excellent for lunch before playing Bandon Trails.  The Pacific Grill is excellent for dinner and serves an excellent breakfast wrap.  Pacific Grill is also a great place for cocktails and a match at the Punch Bowl.  McKee's Pub and The Lodge are also fun for lunch and dinner.  With a group of eight you will want to make restaurant reservations for lunch and dinner as the venues are not very large and can become very crowded.

4) Take a caddie!  You are on vacation and there are some very good loopers at Bandon Dunes.

5) Do not miss playing Bandon Preserve as it is a really fun Par 3 course.

6) Personally, I like playing Bandon Trails in the afternoon to get out of the wind as much as possible in the trees.  I like playing Old Mac in the early morning before the wind picks up as it is the most exposed in my opinion.

You and your group will have a great time! 

David Amarnek

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
Thanks again to everyone offering their advice here, and also to those that have sent me personal messages.  All very much appreciated and such an outstanding example of what a resource we have with GCA.
I can't wait!

William_G

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
My questions are:
When is the best time to go (weather-wise)? September/October
What would be the best recommendation for play given the 18-36-18 format? (assuming Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald are a given, should we play Bandon Trails or repeat one of the others) Trails, Old Mac, Pacific, Bandon
Finally, any advice on meals? Mckee's Pub and  the Puffin are good for dinner, Pacific's Grill is good for lunch or dinner and best for drinks while putting as an 8some at the Punch Bowl
Thanks!

You'll be back :)
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back