News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

corey miller

Re: OT - Caddies - Double Bagging - Tipping Etiquette
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »

Could someone please explain how a caddie carrying two bags improves the flow of a round? 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2019, 11:02:00 PM »
I have been at Streamsong in Feb of both 2018 and 2019.  In 2018 we got single bag caddies.  In 2019 they said that was impossible and they almost never do that in prime season.  All 8 of our group hated the two bagging and thought that it was very detrimental to the round.  A couple of the caddies that we had were jerks as well.  This has left a bad taste in our mouth and we are unlikely to return to the course in the future.

Cabot manages to do single bags and this is definitely the way to go.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 09:26:30 AM »
Pine Valley is the only place I’ve been where double bagging works 99% of the time. The caddies there are excellent and work hard to get you around smoothly.

Unfortunately it’s really difficult for caddies to make a living on one bag once a day or twice a day. If we want professional caddies we either need to pay more or compromise is necessary.

Cave Nil Vino

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 09:42:22 AM »
Unfortunately it’s really difficult for caddies to make a living on one bag once a day or twice a day. If we want professional caddies we either need to pay more or compromise is necessary.

Is it desirable for golf to have that as a condition: caddies making a living carrying a bag?

I've had numerous experiences with double-baggers and I can't remember any that were positive, though a couple provided some moments of levity.  Maybe Mike Cirba will recount his fine morning with Dr. Childs at a famous West Coast club and a certain mute (by choice) caddie they shared.  Me and my single-bagger had several nice laughs as the round progressed and the increasingly indignant reactions of one of the lefties.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
Assuming that caddies do something else as well then making $100/round or about $20-25/hour, (somewhat) tax free is not bad in most places. 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
Assuming that caddies do something else as well then making $100/round or about $20-25/hour, (somewhat) tax free is not bad in most places.

Tax free?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

corey miller

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 10:38:13 AM »

Good point Lou....maybe the clubs need to make the caddies employees and withhold taxes, and provide health insurance and we can see where this all plays out. 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

Tax free?
I am guessing that caddies, like waiters with their tips, are not disclosing anywhere near 100% of their revenue to the IRS/CRA/etc.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
Wayne,

That is not a fair assumption. To a man I have found caddies to be tax paying patriots who at worst only put family and God above country. There are far too many ways to get fed, drunk and dead without working. Caddies deserve better than to be painted with the brush of ugly stereotypes from times gone by.

Bill Charles

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
I agree with above at some places it just works very well and Pine Valley is one of them. Otherwise it would be nice to have a single bag caddie. You don’t get the full experience of interaction when he’s carrying 2 bags.

archie_struthers

Re: OT - Caddies - Double Bagging - Tipping Etiquette New
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 01:07:41 PM »
 ;D

Pine Valley double bagging is a little different. you usually have the players for three to five rounds as they are often overnight guests. Many time you had them in previous years. So it often quite personal and less transactional.  Also the local knowledge is huge here, as greens can break 10-15 feet in some cases and its all about speeds (isn"t it always).

Pretty hard to screw up there as a caddy. you have so many tools and the greens are so important to the scoring ... the player really needs you!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:06:27 AM by archie_struthers »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 01:51:40 PM »
I think Bandon is doing a bit of an oversell, which isn't a stretch based on price/value proposition for the resort...

But who knows, maybe one experienced caddy doing a double bag is better than two noobies doing a single each...

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 05:15:34 PM »
Ages ago the profession of Caddie was a low-paying job for people, who came from such poor backgrounds that their families couldn't afford to send them to school. They were uneducated and largely unskilled to do anything else. In places without a golf course they were likely unemployed. Their only career path was to turn Pro, which wasn't exactly very prestigious either.

This situation has changed drastically in the last 100 years or so and it keeps on changing. Today some of the finest young people look to caddying to advance their non-golfing career and at the other end of the spectrum you have the highly skilled Pro Caddies, who are making tens of thousands and sometimes millions. And in-between those youngsters and veterans there are the regular Joes, who want to at least buy a small house and provide for their family. Today Caddie is a job like many others, not the most high paying one, but you would expect it to be at least at the level of greenkeeper or administrative staff of the course.

The only problem is that five greenkeepers or one Pro Shop attendant can cater to hundreds of golfers during the course of a day, while a caddie can cater to one or (double-bagging, two rounds) perhaps four on one day. It is therefore obvious that Caddies must be extremely expensive, if they are expected to not sleep in the equipment shack like in the 19th century, but lead a normal life like a staff member.

To me it seems that due to those unfavorable economics they are a dying profession except on the very highest levels. Perhaps like a butler or housekeeper, who used to live and eat in the house and thus could afford to earn very little. Who has a butler anymore? Perhaps the Queen of England and I suspect her butler makes more than most of us.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Joe Schackman

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37:30 AM »
I have been at Streamsong in Feb of both 2018 and 2019.  In 2018 we got single bag caddies.  In 2019 they said that was impossible and they almost never do that in prime season.  All 8 of our group hated the two bagging and thought that it was very detrimental to the round.  A couple of the caddies that we had were jerks as well.  This has left a bad taste in our mouth and we are unlikely to return to the course in the future.

Cabot manages to do single bags and this is definitely the way to go.

The only actually bad caddie experience I have ever had was at Streamsong. Not because of double vs single bag. Just a jerk, as you said.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back