News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Hayling Island -- old photos
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:53:24 AM »
While looking for other things I found these rather good old pictures of Hayling Island GC, which I thought GCAers might enjoy:

Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Richard Fisher

Re: Hayling Island -- old photos
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »
Dear Adam,

These are terrific - many thanks indeed. And the 'maiden l'audace' is obviously the club of choice for driving over water! I am pretty sure that this drive no longer exists - from my one day at Hayling, back in 2009, I don't recall quite such an adventurous stroke, but may be completely wrong.

For me personally, the Holy Grail of historic golf course photography would be to find any photographic records of the lost holes at Harlech, to the south of the current 16th (and therefore in some of the most inviting duneland on the property). These were introduced in the early 1920s, but problems with blown sand, and the imminence of the 1926 Ladies' Championship, meant that they were given up after barely a couple of seasons. Very sadly, in lots of ways, as the vista up one of these old fairways that remains traceable is truly enticing. I have never, ever, seen photographs of these holes in play, and almost certainly never will. Sadly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back