News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

New #7 At Royal Portrush
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:12:27 PM »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: New #7 At Royal Portrush
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:13:54 AM »
Good looking hole from this shot.

Look forward to seeing how it plays and what the green detail is like.

Ally

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:03:57 AM »
I think it is a very good hole indeed, and the new eighth is, if anything, even better.

I don't know the Valley course well enough to judge what the impact of all this work has been on that; but for the Dunluce I think it is pretty much all good.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Simon Holt

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 05:24:47 AM »
Adam,

A few of my member pals say the Valley's new holes are really good too.  We all know they took arguably the best land on the Valley for the new Dunluce holes but it sounds like the replacements are solid.

I share Sean Arble's admiration for the Valley.  Amazing value for money and a good fun round in it's own right, regardless of whether you play the more storied neighbour or not.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »
I know photos change the perspective, (appearing to shrink the target area)
I know it's new and traffic/maintenance will thin the native areas.....
It is beautiful...

but I can't help but think a hole was stolen off Sandy Links ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »
I am a little unclear. Are these newly constructed holes? I thought they were going to take two holes from the Valley course and build two new ones for that course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
They built two completely new holes within the Dunluce course to replace 17 and 18.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 09:39:45 AM »
They built two completely new holes within the Dunluce course to replace 17 and 18.

New Dunluce 7 & 8 replace old 17 & 18. The building of them necessitated the removal of the Valley 5th and 6th.

To replace these, a new par three was built after the old Valley 16th (which is now the 14th). It doubles back towards the sea and has meant the old 17th (new 16th) has been extended to a par-5 as the tee has been moved right back and up the main dune ridge. The greensite and fairway on this hole remains but it is followed by two completely new holes, a par-3 playing in the same direction along the shoreline and then a short par-4, teeing from the main dune ridge and finishing right underneath the Rathmore clubhouse.

Hope that makes sense.

Sound like sensible changes in principle. Does mean there will be three 3's in last six holes though.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »
Thanks, I actually u derstood the changes.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back