News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: 2017 DIXIE CUP • Streamsong • Sept 28-Oct 1
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2017, 08:03:27 AM »
I am completely baffled by the 9th hole with its blind "360 degree crater lake" green.
I saw an interview with Hanse where he said the 9th and it's crater green was his favorite hole! I really do like the blind second shot and cresting the hill to see how your shot finished.

There are a lot of "links" features on the Black... humps, crumples, swales, etc. Some of the green complexes remind me of something you might find at Castle Stuart, without the ocean. Actually, size aside, the greens at the Black are the most aggressive and rollicking I have ever seen in the States. If they were not as large as they are I think the general public would scream "foul." The size provides such a great margin for error that it somehow mitigates the boldness of the contours.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Lang

« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »
 8) Yes, GIR stats don't mean much at the Black ... i measured the 9th at ~ 0.56 acre, getting there is only half the fun!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »
For those who haven't taken a look, here is an aerial of the ninth green. The approach shot is from about 2 o'clock.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »
How do those greens compare to the greens at Old Macdonald? A good number of low handicappers I have spoken to about the greens at Old Mac don't like them and don't like the course because of them - reason seems to be a lot of 3 and 4 putts where they would rather be chipping, etc.

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
How do those greens compare to the greens at Old Macdonald? A good number of low handicappers I have spoken to about the greens at Old Mac don't like them and don't like the course because of them - reason seems to be a lot of 3 and 4 putts where they would rather be chipping, etc.

I think Old Mac is a ton of fun!  I always say that Pac Dunes is the best course, but Old Mac is about as much fun as you can have on a golf course.  There is so much movement in a lot of the greens......but that leads to the excitement of side boards, back boards, and slopes.  I feel like a lot of golfers, not just low handicappers, don't embrace the new experience they encounter.  Where else can you hit monster putts every hole and putt from 80 yards off the green?!?!?!  I feel like Black will have this same kind of adventure!!!!!

Steve Lang

« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »
Jerry,

I doubt they'll like the Black's greens either... i really feel for them...  tell em they'll need to practice some full turn putting and three dimensional chess
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »
Here is a link to Brad Klein's "Rater's Notebook" review of Streamsong Black:

http://golfweek.com/2017/10/05/streamsong-black-takes-golfers-on-a-memorable-journey/

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
BTW: By no means am I a low handicapper and I had a blast at Old Mac.

Craig Disher

« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
Jerry,

I doubt they'll like the Black's greens either... i really feel for them...  tell em they'll need to practice some full turn putting and three dimensional chess

And overcome the fear of a chip and run off a putting surface. A couple of times I was so far from the hole I had no feel for how to swing a putter. A 7-iron pitch felt more natural.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »
Jerry,

And overcome the fear of a chip and run off a putting surface. A couple of times I was so far from the hole I had no feel for how to swing a putter. A 7-iron pitch felt more natural.

I played these courses a few weeks after you guys.  On 18 Red, I was about 10 feet off the front of the green and, to a back pin (uphill from where I was), "putted" a hybrid into the back bunker, where I was basically dead.  I'm usually pretty good with my putter and hybrid from short grass around the green, but had a lot of trouble with distance control, especially on Red (which I think had the fastest greens).

John Cowden

« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
The "Billy Casper lag putt" is a solution for just such greens--forward lean and as wristy as required.

Steve Lang

« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »
 8)  I'd advise, on the practice green, just go from one side edge to the other... and use the holes as aiming points only.. ;D   

Overall, the greens at Streamsong looked faster than they played to me, and I play on bermuda almost all year.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »
I am completely baffled by the 9th hole with its blind "360 degree crater lake" green.
I saw an interview with Hanse where he said the 9th and it's crater green was his favorite hole! I really do like the blind second shot and cresting the hill to see how your shot finished.

There are a lot of "links" features on the Black... humps, crumples, swales, etc. Some of the green complexes remind me of something you might find at Castle Stuart, without the ocean. Actually, size aside, the greens at the Black are the most aggressive and rollicking I have ever seen in the States. If they were not as large as they are I think the general public would scream "foul." The size provides such a great margin for error that it somehow mitigates the boldness of the contours.

What would you compare to? TOC/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back