News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Tobermory Golf Club (Photo Tour)
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:33:44 AM »

I had the pleasure of playing Tobermory Golf Club at the beginning of November and took a few pictures on the way round to do this short photo tour.

Setting the scene with a couple of photos the first being of the harbour front at Tobermory which is a lovely little fishing village that now survives mainly from tourism.

The village offers plenty of things to see and several very good restaurants and pubs.

The second is of this rather splendid car parked outside the well known Mishnish Hotel driven by a dear old lady who was coming into town to do her weekly shop. A very luxurious mobility scooter.

Tobermory Golf Club was founded in 1896 but between the years 1900 and 1907 the club lapsed before ‘interested players’ resurrected the club with it playing over a new 9 hole course just north of town. 1935 saw the construction of an 18 hole course by the Western Isles Hotel designed by David Adams. The golf club moved to this new course in 1937, was then invited to manage the course and the club’s name was changed to the Western Isles Golf Club. There are no war time records suggesting that formal use of the course lapsed but it is mentioned that in 1947 it was reopened as a 9 hole course owing to the expense of its upkeep.

1987 the club reverted back to its original title "Tobermory Golf Club" and in the following year negotiations for the purchase of the course were finalised. At this point the order of the playing of the course was changed with the old 6th hole became the 1st and a new clubhouse was completed in early 1992. Since then steady improvements have been to the course with the elimination of bracken infestation and the construction of numerous new tee boxes.

Anyone thinking of playing this 9 hole course needs to dispel any notion of this being a push over. It is a brute of a course requiring not only good ball striking but also a high degree of accuracy. Par is a good score on any of its holes with the last hole being the only realistic chance at a birdie.
The course is not only a very good golfing challenge but plays much longer than the yardage suggests. It is laid out over some wonderful golfing terrain and my only criticism is it uses the land quite poorly, playing across three deep valleys sending the golfer on an arduous journey up and down the steep sides. In addition there are quite a few longish walks from green to the next tee. This not only makes the course quite tiring to walk but also make the use of trolleys very testing.
However, let this not put you off playing as those who do make the effort are well rewarded with some of the most spectacular views the west of Scotland has to offer. It is true that with the right routing there is the potential for an outstanding 9 hole golf course but this should not detract from the simple truth that what is here is well worth playing if you find yourself in the area.

Like most Highland 9 holers the club has a limited number of members which I am reliably informed is around the 70 mark all in. The greenkeeping work takes up about 40 hours per week through the summer and half that through the winter months. Taking this into consideration the course is in remarkably good condition. Despite the rain the day before the fairways were dry and the greens whilst a little long putted true and were a joy to play.

The clubhouse is a very simple one which is open but not manned most of the time. An honesty box was in use and the daily fee of £20 (flat rate no 9 hole fee) was well worth it. Inside there is some memorabilia of the visits of both Colin Montgomerie and golfing legend Tom Watson.  The three dartboards in the main room also point to another sport being quite popular amongst the membership

The clubhouse and putting green from the first tee.

The first hole at 356 yards from the back tee gives you have no indication what a brute of an opening hole awaits you. The tee shot is blind up to a plateau set quite a bit above you on which sits a very generous fairway.

Upon reaching the fairway the golfer is treated to some fantastic panoramic views across to the mainland before having to tackle the first big shot of the day, the shot to the green. This shot is over a deep valley to a green sitting atop the slope on the other side which gives you an all or nothing type of challenge. I hit a good 3 wood off the tee followed by a solid 3 iron and only just made it.

The green is square, mid-sized with a small ridge running through it down the middle.

After a 150 meter walk behind the first green, turning back towards the clubhouse the second is also a mid-length par 4 at 381 yards from the backs. Once again it is a blind drive but this time slightly downhill to a generous fairway.

The second shot will be invariably played from a downhill lie to a green perched slightly above the golfer into the hillside opposite. It is all carry to the green if going straight at it and though there is room left to lay up, the fairway is broken up by a series of rough covered ridges running across it.

The green itself is benched into the hillside with the slope feeding in from the right and a steep banking on the left. The putting surface is generous enough once found with little contouring.

The view from the back of the green looking back down the fairway shows the aukward lie that the golfer must cope with

The course now turns away from the clubhouse to play the fabulous third which is a tough 229 par 3. This hole plays down and across a slight bowl in the hillside to a green nestled perfectly into the slope. The secret here is in convincing yourself to play far enough to the left to allow the slope to feed the ball into the green. Anything short or right leaves a tricky chip up to the putting surface.

Once again the green is medium sized with some subtle contouring. It has a slight bowled effect made by a little raised ridge round the back and right half so common on early golf courses yet sadly missing in today’s pursuit of the ‘natural look’.

The fourth turns once again back towards the clubhouse and is another good length par 3 at 213 yards. The tee shot requires the golfer to be long enough and up to the right of the green using the slope to feed the ball on to the putting surface.

After a fairly bland tee shot the golfer is rewarded with an absolute gem of a green. This two tiered lovely is set up back to front to the norm with the top tier at the front and a gentle step down to the bottom back tier. Miss right and you have a straight forward chip down but miss left and you face a demanding lofted wedge shot over a steep banking to a green sloping slightly away from you.

The fifth turns play away from the clubhouse one last time and plays along the lower border of the course. It is the 3rd blind tee shot in the first five holes but at just 269 yards surely it must be a good birdie chance. Not really as there is little indication on the correct line off the tee and with OOB tight down the right it is better to play safely left. In doing so the player flirts with the series of rough covered ridges which will almost certainly leave an awkward ball below feet lie, playing a heavily angled shot to a green. Due to OOB close behind and to the right of it distance control is critical but with the shot being played out of deeper grass distance control is really difficult.

The green itself is large and fairly non-descript. This is a hole where par will be straight forward but one under a rare bird indeed.
If there is a weak hole on the course then this is possibly it and to me it did not sit totally in harmony with the rest of the course. However, I suspect with multiple plays it might grow on the player so maybe I am being a bit harsh.[size=78%]

After quite an arduous climb up a winding path through the trees the player reaches the sixth. This is the next standout hole on the course which may be only be 397 yards on the card but plays uphill and requires two stout blows to get near its tiny green. A semi-blind tee shot up to a roll on the hillside is best left short of the crest of the roll so as to leave an uphill lie to launch the second shot up to the green set in a hollow far above.

The greedy player who tries to get too close to the green with the tee shot will be punished with a downhill lie making it all but impossible to get both the necessary elevation and distance on the next shot to reach the target. [/size]The golfer is afforded only a glimpse of the top of the flag which is hidden behind the crest of a second roll directly over the marker post up by the lone tree.[size=78%]

Once reached the golfer is rewarded with a green that is perfectly bedded into its surroundings. It is possibly larger than it needs to be as the green gathers any shot in the vicinity. Walk off with a par and you have done very well.

Looking back down the fairway from behind the green.

[/size]Now we come to the course’s most photo’d hole the short 142 yard par three seventh. This hole is played across one of the deep valleys that dissect the course to a green set on the lip of the valley side beneath a natural rocky outcrop. With a grassy hillock to the left, steep drop just short, rocky outcrop behind and OOB tight right there is little room for error.[size=78%]

The green itself is modest in size with a raised step on the right side. This is a wonderful hole that asks a very straight forward question. Get the answer right and you walk off feeling like a king. Get it wrong however and I shudder to think how many shots might be required.

These step found on the 7th tee are certainly unusual if of a somewhat foolhardy design.

With the 8th we are back to a blind tee shot over a ridge set on the far side of a deep valley.

At 385 yards with the second shot being played steeply downhill it does not play long but will almost certainly be a blind to the green. This view is what the golfer sees when he walks forward to check the shot.

[/size]The green, like the 4th is a two tier one with the lower tier at the back. There are indications of what might have been a bunker to the left of the green which is the only sign the course ever had sand and in fairness it does not suffer for the lack of it. Missing the green left or long leaves a very tricky chip so erring on the short side is perhaps the way to go.[size=78%]

The last hole is less dramatic after all the ups and downs of the previous few holes. At 120 yards it is played to a mid-sized green with a decent amount of contouring. However, it does require the player to hit the green or face a tricky chip.  All in all a nice gentle end to the round and it is nice to play a final hole that is not a potential score wrecker.

Tobermory shows the classic Highland 9 holer at its best and I am glad that I was able to use it for my first photo tour of Highland 9 holers. [/size]I look forward to seeing how it is received by the board and will try to answer any queries as best I can.[size=78%]
Cheers :) [/size]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:54:50 PM by Jon Wiggett »

Greg Gilson

Re: Tobermory Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:29:34 AM »
Jon, cannot wait to see how this unfolds!

Jon Wiggett

Re: Tobermory Golf Club
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:44:39 AM »
Greg,

it will probably take me a few sittings to do the whole tour and I will keep adding to my first post so the whole tour is in one place. I do not know if you are familiar with the course at Tobermory but it is certainly worth a look if not. I hope you enjoy the tour and my rambling commentery.

Jon

Ian Galbraith

Re: Tobermory Golf Club (Photo Tour)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
Thanks for that photo tour Jon, it brought back some good memories of two rounds I had there a couple of years back. You've captured the essence of the challenges posed well, that approach shot on the 2nd hole is a real tester - I failed on both occasions despite decent drives. Like Jon I was blessed with decent weather, in stormy conditions it must be a brute.

If you get  a chance to play there don't miss it.  :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 05:44:18 PM »
Jon -

Thanks for the photo tour. Well done. Hope you get to Fort Augustus and Traigh some time.

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
Ian,

glad you enjoyed the tour. Yes, the shot to the green on the second is very demanding and I suspect not one where you find the green more often than you miss it, Indeed, being level par after four holes is a very good score.

David,

Fort Augustus is definitely on the menu this winter along with Portmahomac, Ullapool and Carrbridge though next up will be Nethybridge (Abernethy Golf Club) Traigh and Gairloch will be summertime trips I suspect.

Jon
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:14:57 PM by Jon Wiggett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 04:54:07 AM »
Well posted Jon.
You mentioned that you'd played Tobermory on a thread a while back highlighting the terrain and the courses difficulty/challenge in relation to par. Now I better understand your comment.
The photo you have posted taken from the rear of the par-3 7th hole is quite outstanding.
Atb
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:57:03 AM by Thomas Dai »

Peter Flory

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »
Looks like a great one for hickories.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
If you fancy taking on par threes of 229 and 213 yards with hickories you're more of a man than I'll ever be  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Peter Flory

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »
I measure myself by height...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:22:33 PM by Peter Flory »

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »
Great Photo Tour Jon,
I visited Tobermory Golf Course by chance a few years ago.
An unusual story – I was “roadying” for a couple of “Blues” (scottish version) musician pals who were gigging at a Bike (as in Harleys) weekend on the Isle of Mull. We made our way from Glasgow via Loch Lomond and Glencoe in torrential rain to the camp site where 150 begraggled bikers had descended from all corners of the GB for a bit of merriment and a “wee bevvy”. The event was organised at the airport (grass field) , where an ex-head roadie of Pink Floyd and plane enthusiast was renting out the camp site and a few lodges – apparently Dave Gilmour sometimes pilots in his own plane for the occasional visit.  After a wild night and some wilder stories I got up early to go on a GCA mission to view the Tobermory Golf Club.
Jon describes the course very well. The elevated views from the course of the West Highland Coastline and neighbouring Islands are spectacular and the “up and down” nature of the course quite tiring. The kind of course to enjoy if you happen to be there, particularly to enjoy the landscape, but not a destination golf course for having a quality game of golf.
However a destination for a GCA enthusiast who enjoys golf courses in unusual locations.
The Isle of Mull is also great place to bring your binoculars and spot wild life. One of the blues musicians was an RSPB man and so we also managed a bit of Otter and Sea Eagle spotting.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
John,

yes the course is very physical in as much as it sends you up and down several deep, steep sided valleys as well as from the low point of the property up to the highest point in one hole. I did get the feeling that had they played along the valleys rather than across them then an exceptional course could have been realised here. This however should not take away from the fact what is there is very good. My only real gripe would be that it must be nigh on impossible for a high handicapper to get round it playing anything like a decent game. On the other hand after the morning 9 holes I had believed that it would be very difficult if not impossible to use an electric trolly on this course without many long detours however I played the latter holes of the afternoon round with a couple of members one of whom showed me a display of extreme, cross country electric trolly driving which defied belief.

You maybe correct that Tobermory is not worth a specific trip just to play it. It does not possess the greatness of courses such as Muirfield or Pine Valley but Tobermory is definitely that which makes golf such a great game.

Jon

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 05:38:46 AM »
Thanks for the tour. Really enjoyed it. Looks like such a fun place to visit.

The town centre will be familiar to those with young kids, who watch BBC TV (Balamory).

And - I covet the local lady's wheels!
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Wow, I'd not heard of Tobermory. Like many lesser known Highland gems it looks stunning and fun to play. Thanks for the tour.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »
And - I covet the local lady's wheels!
Ant Hill Mob.
Atb

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
Great stuff Jon, thanks!

I hope to be on Mull in September and a game here is most certainly on the agenda!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 06:26:05 PM »
James,

I am sure you will enjoy a game at Tobermory. There is a second course on the island 'Craignure Golf Club' which is also a 9 holer which Claudia and I had a quick look at but unfortunately did not have the chance to play. It certainly had a spectacular setting and I will make a point of playing it next time I am on Mull but Tobermory is certainly the better of the two. On another note if you take the ferry from Tobermory back to the mainland it is not that far along the main road once you reach it to get up to Traigh.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 08:12:38 AM »
Jon

Excellent stuff. Some fantastic photos. I've long thought that Scotland needs a champion for the "lesser" courses in the same way Sean does a terrific job for the lower tier courses in England. You are clearly the man for the job  ;D

You say the course was reduced from 18 to 9 holes. Is there any signs of where the other 9 holes might have been ?

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Niall and I will certainly try my best to present at least the Highland 9 holers. Next up is Nethybridge (Abernethy) followed by Mussleburgh Old (none Highland).

As to your question, I did not look for any sign of the abandoned holes but suspect they would be visible except where the sea of bracken was covering them.

Jon

JohnH

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 05:15:32 PM »
This kind of thread is the reason I visit every day (very rarely post). Well done and thank you.

MJohnson

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »
I have played Tobermory a few times and , typical of seaside courses, the weather has been different each time. Calm and sunny, wet and very wet with strong winds. Playing the par 3 seventh with wind from the sea (left to right on the hole) was one of the toughest short shots I have ever had to hit.

Your photos have done the course a great service in publicising it. They are superb.
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
Well this should get tagged and saved somehow. I never saw it and it just fabulous. Thanks for posting.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 09:46:56 PM »
Well this should get tagged and saved somehow. I never saw it and it just fabulous. Thanks for posting.

Well.
If you'd get your too tall ass over here, we could all go visit, couldn't we...

Love,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jason Chambers

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »
Thanks Jon.  That is a golf course!  The panoramic view at sunset (ish) is amazing.  And while a lot of the holes look rough and rather simple, the not-so-subtle slopes and smallish greens make me think twice about how 'easy' it would be.  Again, good post, thank you.

Mike Worth

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2023, 09:55:53 AM »
I thought I would give this thread a bump. I played Tobermory today and then I read this review.

The reciew is spot on. One of the hilliest courses I have ever played. Best views, ever (well maybe not ever lol but close).

It was in decent enough shape. One of those courses where the members make up the greens and maintenance staff.

Plays much longer than its stated yardage because of the hills.  One also has to strategically drive the ball, because often hitting long(er) will put you in a deep gully – – you may be closer to the green, but you’ll be completely blind and straight up the hill with your approach.

Interestingly, as I came off the course, I ran into a group of about 12 — turns out they are Americans from the East Coast who were staying in Oban and ventured over to the Isle of Mull to play this course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back