News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Dear Ran,

As you are very knowledgeable about golf courses all over the world I am not sure if anyone has asked you what what would be your dream golf course/club? This is your own fantasy what a golf course should be.

The golf holes could be any number any sequence but fits with your requirements

Best travel to course -

Best entrance to course/club -

Best initial views -

Best first look at clubhouse -

Best pre-round warm up (best range/chipping green/putting green) -

ECLETIC COURSE

Hole 1 -
Hole 2 -
Hole 3 -
Hole 4 -
Hole 5 -
Hole 6 -
Hole 7 -
Hole 8 -
Hole 9 -

Halfway house -

Hole 10 -
Hole 11 -
Hole 12 -
Hole 13 -
Hole 14 -
Hole 15 -
Hole 16 -
Hole 17 -
Hole 18 -

Best clubhouse - drinks and meal/atmosphere -

Best overnight stay -

Every golf course/club brings up different experiences whether its amazing, good or bad etc

GCA members have their own views but would be very interested what is yours.

Yours in golf
Ben

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:35:54 AM by Ben Stephens »

Bill_McBride

Re: Question for Ran - what would be your dream golf course/club/experience
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »
I guarantee you, Ran will say "You first!"

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:04:15 AM »
And I guarantee you Ran will never see nor post on this thread.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:33:19 AM »
Ben - have you seen the profile of the Carthage Club in courses by country?  It is from 1999 but is a worthwhile read.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »
Best travel to course -  Hirono[/size]Best entrance to course/club -  ANGCBest initial views - ShinnecockBest first look at clubhouse - ShinnecockBest pre-round warm up (best range/chipping green/putting green) -  Friars HeadECLETIC COURSEHole 1 -Hole 2 -Hole 3 -Hole 4 -Hole 5 -Hole 6 -Hole 7 -Hole 8 -Hole 9 -Halfway house - Hole 10 -Hole 11 -Hole 12 -Hole 13 -Hole 14 -Hole 15 -Hole 16 -Hole 17 -Hole 18 -Best clubhouse - drinks and meal/atmosphere -   Hmmm.Best overnight stay -  Royal Lytham & St. Anne's[/color]

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »

R-11-R, "Rans-11-rules", sound pretty good to me - http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/the-carthage-club/ - there used to be many a club around the UK and elsewhere akin to this. Probably still are a few. More please.
😄
Atb
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:34:26 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 12:50:51 PM »
Thank you Jason! I forgot the Carthage Club.

It seems that Ran has just general principles what Carthage course should be. What I am seeking is Ran's dream course which is imaginary and more specific bearing in mind the distance Ran has travelled to play certain golf courses all over the world as well as experiencing them.

We all have our ideal opening and closing holes plus where the par 3s should be during the round. It is almost like writing a musical symphony.

Each of us have different views what the ebb and flow of a golf course should be like or should it have 2 loops of nine using the clubhouse as a halfway house etc or have it far away from the clubhouse with great views of the countryside etc.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »

We all have our ideal opening and closing holes plus where the par 3s should be during the round. It is almost like writing a musical symphony.

No, we don't all have things so pre-planned in our heads, thank goodness.  If you do it will likely screw up your chance when you finally get a great site and your preconceived idea doesn't fit there!

For every rule or preference someone expresses re golf design, I can quickly think of several examples to the contrary among the many terrific courses I've seen.  That's why I don't play favorites!

It's fine to have favorite opening holes etc. and I'm happy to weigh in if you break this up into individual topics.  But trying to list the best in all of golf architecture in one post seems impossible.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »
Tom,

It's a big task  ;D  [size=78%]this is an hypothetical/imaginary exercise irrelevant of the site - imagine if this was virtual reality of a dream course and that you were able to and want to play it 'every day' as it's 'your own' course computers can create this easily these days[/size]

[size=78%]It's like the ideal dream day out [/size]

It could be template holes, it could be holes that you have imagined in your head or a view of a landscape that could be a golf hole or course that will never be built

Clubhouse could be old and traditional or modern

Finding a great piece of land is a rarity these days and most new golf courses these days are 'manufactured' and 'artificial' mainly on flattish farm land

It's impossible to get the whole package in reality but you can achieve this in virtual reality or by imagination

My last few course designs the opening hole has been medium to tough par fours - one course that Adrian and I designed opened with a short par 4 which at the time I felt it wasn't right but now I do think is a nice opener

Some players don't like playing 4 or 5 consecutive long holes others don't like 2 short holes in a row

One wonders if the Carthage club will ever get built

Ben

No, we don't all have things so pre-planned in our heads, thank goodness.  If you do it will likely screw up your chance when you finally get a great site and your preconceived idea doesn't fit there!

For every rule or preference someone expresses re golf design, I can quickly think of several examples to the contrary among the many terrific courses I've seen.  That's why I don't play favorites!

It's fine to have favorite opening holes etc. and I'm happy to weigh in if you break this up into individual topics.  But trying to list the best in all of golf architecture in one post seems impossible.

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 07:44:37 PM »
methinks there's a good clue in the Gourmet's Choice in the latest volume...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »

I'm confident on two ....

Best travel to course - taking the boat to Bigwin Island GC

Best putting green - Oakmont
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
Ben,

Thanks for asking (!) and here is what I wrote in June 2014 and it's found under Best of Golf:

http://golfclubatlas.com/best-of-golf/best-of-golf-a-dream-course/

I hadn't seen the re-done Moraine & Culver or Wykagyl or Barnbougle, etc. so an update will be in order one of these years.

For a clubhouse, my mind always turns to something low profile, for instance either the one at Chechessee Creek or the Yeamans Hall compound tucked in the trees. Simultaneously, I LOVE something snug to the Home green a la Cabot Links, Lytham, Prestwick, Troon, etc.

Best,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back