News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Bergeron

Re: Michigan GCA Top 25 Rankings & Reviews (2016) List
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
Stellar pics of OLCC Jon!

Ditto! Those pics of OLCC make me very proud!

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 12:32:05 PM »
Stellar pics of OLCC Jon!

Ditto! Those pics of OLCC make me very proud!
Awesome photos, Jon! Thanks for sharing! I was walking on air this year during my first go-around at Orchard Lake CC.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
Couple of things:

- The love on here for Orchard Lake is not misplaced. It is really good.

- I have only played a handful of courses in Michigan, but I'm surprised that Red Run doesn't get a little more attention. Yes, the site is flat and some tree removal would be nice, but I thought the bunkering and the green complexes were good. One thing I especially like is the number of bunkers that transition directly from fairway to bunker with no ring of rough separating them.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »
I have only played a handful of courses in Michigan, but I'm surprised that Red Run doesn't get a little more attention. Yes, the site is flat and some tree removal would be nice, but I thought the bunkering and the green complexes were good. One thing I especially like is the number of bunkers that transition directly from fairway to bunker with no ring of rough separating them.

When did you last play Red Run? In early 2016, the club retained Bruce Hepner. Under Bruce's guidance, RR has expanded playing corridors, adjusted fairway lines, expanded fringes/greens, created some interesting run-off areas and removed 100+ trees. The golf course will look and play much different next spring.

RR is a solid golf course on an unspectacular piece of land that is located in an ideal location. The green complexes make the place ~ #1, #2, #3, #5, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #16, #17 and #18 are tremendous and will be even better expanded. Look for a course tour in early 2017!
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

BCowan

Re: Michigan Top 25 Rankings & Reviews (2016) List New
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
Couple of things:

- I have only played a handful of courses in Michigan, but I'm surprised that Red Run doesn't get a little more attention. Yes, the site is flat and some tree removal would be nice, but I thought the bunkering and the green complexes were good. One thing I especially like is the number of bunkers that transition directly from fairway to bunker with no ring of rough separating them.

Jeff,

Of the courses I've played that I prefer over Red Run are Diamond Springs, Champion Hills, Pilgrims Run, Flint GC (WPJ), Western, CC of Jackson, and CC of Lansing.  I agree with your assessment that the greens at Red Run are the strength of the course.  The bunkering is solid on many of the holes as well. 

Eagle Eye seems like the one red headed step child on the list but I haven't played the course. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:57:40 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BCowan

Re: Michigan Top 25 Rankings & Reviews (2016) List New
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »
Found this cool drone video of Greywalls I thought I'd share.  I hope to venture there in 2017.  Has a Lookout Mtn type look with exposed rock in fairway.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iem8dkSOaCg
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:57:25 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back