News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Re: OT. Making the case for pull/push carts.
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »

We live in a town where caddies are mandated at every club for every round because some guy 100 years ago started a caddie fund.  That's not exactly a compelling business thesis or business model.  You have to admit that.

David, if you're willing to say, "What town would that be?"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:32:29 PM by Carl Johnson »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 08:32:51 PM »

We live in a town where caddies are mandated at every club for every round because some guy 100 years ago started a caddie fund.  That's not exactly a compelling business thesis or business model.  You have to admit that.

Chi-town

Carl Johnson

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »

Chi-town

So every private club with the city limits of the Windy City "mandates caddies"?  One learns something every day.

My son belongs to a private club in Connecticut, suburban NYC, that mandates caddies "in season" (which I take it is about May - Sept. give or take a couple of weeks).  I believe the mandate is until 2:00 p.m. daily.  The race for tee times is not early, but rather 2:00 p.m.  Why does the club continue to have the mandate?  It seems to have less to do with demand than tradition, so my assumption is that as the oldsters leave the club the mandate will decline and then disappear.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:49:52 PM by Carl Johnson »

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 03:40:04 AM »
Caddies are an interesting conundrum.  On the one hand I like the idea of providing opportunities for kids to earn some pocket money.  On the other hand I loathe the concept of being forced to spend money on a service that I don't desire or need.  Its especially taxing as the extra expense comes on top of an already expensive hobby.  The caddie concept utterly fails to meet my requirements for club membership as I am firmly in the choice camp, but I am pleased there are people who do fork out the dosh.

In an ideal world, and it may be coming, golfers will engage their caddies prior to the day of golf thus eliminating the issue of a caddie yard full of kids who need a bag...surprised we haven't already seen this happening as it would be very easy to set up. Bottom line, none of us is forced to join a club which slaps on substantial extra costs to step on the tee...all is well.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:00:35 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back