News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Doak and Yoc on Jeff Warne show this AM
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:06:54 PM »
I know that the show is not called the Jeff Warne show, but folks 'round these parts know Jeff's name, so allow me some latitude.

I enjoyed Tom's discussion of Royal Melbourne and his team's work there. There was also some discussion of why the Old Course should not be altered while other classic courses (Royal Melbourne being two of them) may be.

Guy Yocom from GD was the second guest, and he got stuck with a really rough topic to defend. I hate to say that it came across a bit as Little Lord Fauntleroy, but it did from my perspective. Kinda like drawing the short straw.

Jeff Warne has infinite poise as a radio host. Folks call in with the obvious, and Jeff is able to treat it as thought each caller was the first to come up with the notion.

If we can pool our $$$ and purchase him a timer for each of his guests, so that they know how much time they have to disperse a specific topic, I suspect that Jeff will be grateful. I could tell that guest #2 was a writer before he was a speaker; he spoke as though he had all the room and time in the world, when in fact he was on the clock.

God bless your patience, Jeff.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

Re: Doak and Yoc on Jeff Warne show this AM
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
Well at least this weeks show was On Topic (GCA)

That's a pretty astute observation Ron.
I called Guy last night (we usually text) when he didn't respond to my text from the day before.
We talked for an hour and a half!
I really enjoy speaking with him on the phone and people like that are one of the great perks of the show.
I wish I had recorded the phone conversation and we could've taken the morning off!
Very interesting guy-I've had him on the show 5 or 6 times- I just need to have him on a full hour not a half.

I was a little clumsier with Tom and could've set him up a bit better-had a mike issue which no one noticed but I was focused on that for a few minutes and didn't hit a couple points I would've liked to.
Very kind of him to be a regular guest-again pobably better for a full hour but I do try to work in instruction.
We did sell a few books though as I immediately got a couple texts from friends listening wanting to know how to get the new CG.

Finally, the Sunday show is called "Golf School with Jeff Warne"
They are open to a name change but I'm struggling with ideas
Suggestions welcome
"Warne Out?"

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
Keep a copy of " The Architectural Side of Golf " in the studio, and call the show "Warne and Wethered"
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:12:08 PM »
Warne up.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:15:25 PM »
If we can pool our $$$ and purchase him a timer for each of his guests, so that they know how much time they have to disperse a specific topic, I suspect that Jeff will be grateful. I could tell that guest #2 was a writer before he was a speaker; he spoke as though he had all the room and time in the world, when in fact he was on the clock.

It always amazes me how quickly the time passes when doing a radio interview.  I can write a LOT in thirty minutes but I can barely scratch the surface of three or four topics when speaking out loud.  I've gotten a little better at it over the years but it is not easy to do.  And Jeff is kind to devote thirty minutes to architecture ... you should hear what a scramble it is when one of the morning radio shows in Detroit has me on for ten or fifteen minutes!

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
I don't care how you do it, just keep it up. It's damned good radio.

FWIW, Yocom's segment about his story on the guy paying his own money for a series of lessons from McLean, Good V. and a couple of other (slightly) less famous folks intrigued me.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 11:14:37 PM »
"Warne Piece "
"You've Been Warne'd"
"The Warne Report"
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Pat Burke

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
Warne Piece

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 12:55:02 AM »
I like Warne Piece. 

Fore Warne'd  ?

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 04:47:39 AM »
Warne piece sounds like you're talking about his wiener; I get the Tolstoy reference, but the notion of some type of conflict might not be what he's after.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cristian

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 05:53:17 AM »
Is the show available on internet / podcast?

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
"Warne Piece "
"You've Been Warne'd"
"The Warne Report"

Yeah I thought of "you've been Warned"
and "ForeWarned" which might be more appropriate given my driver history

If the name was spelled Warren
Warr en Piece" would be good
Thanks
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
Why should Alistair Cooke be the only one who gets his full name in the (Masterpiece Theatre) title? I say:

Jeff Warne's Cavalcade of Golf

Pat Burke

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
Warne piece sounds like you're talking about his wiener; I get the Tolstoy reference, but the notion of some type of conflict might not be what he's after.

Were we being completely serious here? :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back