News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Re: Name a short par 4 that stinks
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »
I think it's the 14th at the "Ocean Course" at Half Moon Bay, CA and it borders a field of broccoli (to the south)and the smell can be rather...ah...musty sometimes....;-)

15th? I think the thread title was meant metaphorically by the way.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2016, 11:47:35 AM »
How about #17 at Forest Dunes GC (Weiskopf)? After three plays, I have gone back and forth with my opinion of the hole. The front pin is very, very penal for the golfer that lays up right.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jay Mickle

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2016, 01:42:38 PM »
I will go against the consensus re: Dormie #3. Being short I feel that the green is not to severe. With a short iron/wedge in hand you just need to stay even or below the hole and don't go pin hunting when the pin is on the right front plateau.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Bill Seitz

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 05:17:29 PM »
#7 at Wolf Run.

Hey, I like that hole!  I birdied it twice at the Mashie.

My pick would be the 9th at Chicago Highlands, the volcano hole.  There's virtually no strategy involved.  It's unique, but not what I'd call good.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:19:08 PM by Bill Seitz »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
Plus One

I will go against the consensus re: Dormie #3. Being short I feel that the green is not to severe. With a short iron/wedge in hand you just need to stay even or below the hole and don't go pin hunting when the pin is on the right front plateau.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Josh Tarble

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 11:42:04 PM »
#7 at Wolf Run.

Hey, I like that hole!  I birdied it twice at the Mashie.

My pick would be the 9th at Chicago Highlands, the volcano hole.  There's virtually no strategy involved.  It's unique, but not what I'd call good.

No judgement on your birdies, because that's really impressive...green is pretty solid.  My issue is the fact it has to have about 50 sand bottles because of the divot situation.  Not a great hole that the only option is mid-iron, wedge.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
Hey, I hit driver to the middle of the lower fairway on 7 at Wolf Run about a month ago during a casual round with a steady breeze off the right that made it seem feasible. No divot bottles down there!

Of course, I then chunked the pitch...

It's a tough hole for me to judge. I love the setting, and the wedge approach to the tiny green hits all the right notes. But the tee shot really just sucks. There's no real need for the fairway to be so tight, or for a full third or more of it to be blind, or for all those trees on the right. What should be a very cool risk/reward shot where hugging the stream gives an advantage on the approach shot instead just becomes a really penal and straightforward play.

On a similar note, I really liked Jason Topp's answer on page 1 about the worst short 4s being holes where everyone takes basically the same strategy. And while his answer focused on the length of tee shot played for and whether everyone pulls the same club or not, I think the same applies to the variety of lines taken off the tee. If everyone's aiming in the same direction, the hole probably isn't very good. You could probably judge most short par 4s based on the number of different spots people aim for off the tee, and the degree of variation between them. The more aiming points and the greater the distance between them, the better the hole. Maybe the same rule works for every type of hole, really.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »
1. Tobacco Road No. 16
2. All the short par 4's at the Golden Horseshoe
3. Dormie No.14

You forget the forgettable back to back short par 4s at Hells Point, No. 6 and 7. Rees Jones designed back to back boring holes.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
Chamber's Bay #12.  Usually too long for me to reach with driver, but at least there's a bunker and wider portion of grass to potentially hit.  With 8 iron off the tee, the target is narrower and leaves a completely blind wedge.  There really isn't a risk/reward.  Both options present roughly an equal risk of poop for a 2nd shot.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:01:52 PM by Dan Gallaway »

Josh Tarble

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 08:24:24 PM »
Hey, I hit driver to the middle of the lower fairway on 7 at Wolf Run about a month ago during a casual round with a steady breeze off the right that made it seem feasible. No divot bottles down there!

Of course, I then chunked the pitch...

It's a tough hole for me to judge. I love the setting, and the wedge approach to the tiny green hits all the right notes. But the tee shot really just sucks. There's no real need for the fairway to be so tight, or for a full third or more of it to be blind, or for all those trees on the right. What should be a very cool risk/reward shot where hugging the stream gives an advantage on the approach shot instead just becomes a really penal and straightforward play.

I think I've said it to you before but... They could chop down a ton of trees left and make that green visible from the tee. I think it that might make it way better in that it may tempt people to drive the green more often.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2016, 09:09:50 PM »
Plus One

I always think if you finish #3 you did a good job.  Maybe the most difficult short par 4 ever. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »
Any short par 4 where everyone who knows the hole pulls out a driver or lays up.

Huh?  That sounds like a good one to me.

I was not sufficiently clear.  I mean that the choice is obvious and everyone makes the same choice.  The hole where everyone hits driver is akin to a long par 3 and the hole where everyone lays up is akin to a chastity belt.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back