News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The 2016 YANK AWARDS
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »

Best New Nine Holes – bit of a pauchle this one but joint award to Olympic Club Par 3 course and Ally McIntosh’s new nine at Carne. The Olympic Par 3 course had a handful of par 3’s that are simply better than I played on Pebble or Spyglass, with honourable exception of PB 17. Just great fun over some nicely undulating ground. The McIntosh nine at Carne on the other hand are laid out over probably the most extreme land I’ve played on and really shouldn’t produce good golf but somehow do. There was more subtlety, artistry and strategic design in these nine holes than in all the Eddie Hackett courses I’ve played over in Ireland that it amazes me that the club doesn’t embrace this nine more.

Niall

Thanks for the kind words, Niall.

It really wouldn't take too much to get these new nine playing really well. Finalising the mowing lines, working on the condition would be a great start. A couple of minor tweaks after that. I'd like to go in and reshape a few of the bunkers which haven't been looked after since they opened. A couple could do with a quick artistic makeover too.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »
I echo Nialls comments on the Kilmore/McIntosh-9 at Carne.

I was fortunate enough to play it several times during Buda in various different wind and weather conditions. I was also fortunate enough to play 9-holes at delightful Mulranny in the morning followed by a shortish drive through some wonderful scenery to Carne and then play the Kilmore/McIntosh-9 in the afternoon. A terrific combination. Highly recommened.

A plea here to any lurkers associated with Carne - the Kilmore-9 is special golf and challenging as well. Let Ally do as he wishes with the mowing lines and any other associated tweeks he suggests and you'll have something quite exceptional on your hands.

Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 11:28:04 PM »

Not played that much golf away from Brahan but here goes

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Only played one new course and that was Tobermory. A very challenging 9 hole course on the Isle of Mull.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!): Gullane 3 which I played in late January. A little soggy underfoot but in decent nick and a very pleasant course to play again after 15 years.
BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Grantown on Spey which is an often over looked James Braid layout. Interesting course with real character only slightly spoiled by the silly rough between the fairways.
BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Toss up between Golspie and Brora.
BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: North Berwick which is always likely to be the highlight of any year.
FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Brahan but then I would say that ;)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »
Best First Time Played....Swinley Forest...Simple perfection
Best Full Day of golf..... Sunningdale Old and New....
Best " I forgot how much fun"..... Royal West Norfolk...architectural brilliance
Best conditioning and "look"change....Secession...new super turned this around
Best restoration...on going bunker work at Blackwell by Frank Pont et al
Biggest disappointment...relative term in a year of so much wonderful golf..Delamere Forest, found it rather bland and non descript lacking much character ..but again relative term
Most excited about....the developers at Sand Valley and visiting Cabot

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 05:19:42 PM »
M W-P

Interesting, I too don't think as highly of Delamere as many on this site do.  The drawback for me are the dull greens.  I don't think its as good as somewhat near neighbours Prestbury and Reddish Vale.  I need to get back to Reddish Vale.

Jon

Gullane 3 really surprised me when I played it. I still think architecturally its the best design of the Gullanes...its just too short for the architecture to shine....a victim of technology.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:21:37 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 04:31:31 PM »
I saw a lot this year, but I'll try to put it in perspective:

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE:  Barton Hills in Michigan was very unexpected.  I didn't appreciate how good it would be, or how hard it would be, because few of the people I know in Michigan have ever said much about it.  The restoration work is mostly very good [though it has some issues], but restorations are only as good as what was there to begin with, and that exceeded my expectations big-time.RUNNER -UP: The Loop in Michigan.  It sounds silly to say that about a course I designed, but I was so busy building it that I didn't truly appreciate how different it would be playing in one direction vs. the other, or how tough it would be because it lacks some of the usual guideposts.MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Abama is the highest-rated course in the Canary Islands, and by far the worst of the six I saw there.  It's an awful, steep, real-estate driven layout.  I am tempted to write that it's just as big a disappointment as Obama was, but that would be mean.BEST NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Davenport CC in Iowa.  I did not actually play because it was about 40 degrees and windy, but I would peg this as Hugh Alison's best design in America, ahead of Milwaukee CC.RUNNER-UP:  Pikewood National, which I also didn't play.  It is not to my tastes style-wise, but I thought they got a lot out of a severe site, and I loved a lot of the little touches between green and tee.  It's tough to compare this with Cleeve Cloud or Minchinhampton Old, which were more to my tastes.BEST NEW PLAY LINKS: Cape Wickham ... though I think it is overrated by many early visitors.  I only played four new links courses this year, three of them on the same small island.  Burnham and Berrow was the fourth, and should have been mentioned among Most Surprising Second Visit had I not seen some other cool places this year.RUNNER UP: Ocean Dunes, also on King Island.  It's a bit too hilly and the green-to-tee walks suffer as a result; I wish Graeme had made it a bit tighter, but it was probably impossible given the site.  There are some great holes here, though. MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!):  Barwon Heads was great fun and much better than I remembered.  I could also give this one to Lawsonia.  Or maybe Royal Melbourne (East) -- see below.FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS:  Cape Wickham, see above.   FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE:  Minchinhampton Old and Cleeve Cloud were both exceptionally fun, with affable playing partners.  So was The Loop but of course I would say that.BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:  Either Minchinhampton Old or King Island Golf & Bowling Club.  I'm not sure of the green fees at either, honestly.  The nine-hole King Island course has three very good holes at the start, then peters out, but with the 40-mph winds the day I saw it, it was very difficult to master.BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:  I think it is just above Sean's price point, but I will put in a good word for St. Andrews Beach, which I played with my team from Crystal Downs just before the MacKenzie Cup at Royal Melbourne.  It was a bit rough because the couch grass was just starting to wake up after a cold winter there, but it fits the land as well as any course I know.BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:  I played four "10"s this year and it's silly to try and separate them:  Pacific Dunes, Crystal Downs, Barnbougle Dunes, and Royal Melbourne (West).  When forced to rank them in order, I usually put Royal Melbourne in my top three overall, and it was in awesome shape for the MacKenzie event, with the greens firm as can be and pretty fast.  Fun to play it under those conditions, even if it showed me up to be a hack.  In fact, this was the first time I'd played Royal Melbourne (East) since our renovation work a few years ago, and it was pretty awesome, too.FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: I got back to a bunch of my own courses this year, and it was a real pleasure to see some of them after a long absence.  Barnbougle Dunes and Rock Creek both looked awfully good.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
In the interest of maintaining a politically-free GCA, I will delete and attempt to rise above. Thanks to Ben Cowan of MI for reminding me of this responsibility.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:01:42 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
Sticking with the categories created by Sean

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Ballycastle - it starts off with some non links holes that aren't bad but then goes off to the links land and I thought the immediate change was actually enjoyable.

RUNNER -UP: Kirkistown Castle (I'm definitely a Braid fan)

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE:  Firestone - North.  I wasn't expecting a ton but I didn't really enjoy the course at all

BEST NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE:  Brookside (Canton).  Probably some of the coolest greens I've played (16 green is nuts).

RUNNER-UP: Pete Dye GC

BEST NEW PLAY LINKS: Portsalon.  Really enjoyed the setting.  Kind of the opposite of Ballycastle where the last few holes were non links (unfortunately they kind of detracted - I think starting with non links is better than ending)

RUNNER UP: Carne

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!):   The only course I played 3 or more times was the home courses

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Wright Patterson AFB - Twin Base

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Strandhill

FAVORITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Brookside (Canton)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:43:42 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »
Tom,

Interesting comments on Barwon Heads.  Having spent 30 minutes walking around the course near the clubhouse it's the one course in Australia that I didn't play on my recent trip but really wish I had.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
Tom

I shall have to try and see Barton Hills.  Its probably best that I don't have a good memory of the course so I can see the redo in a fresh light. 

Are your views softening on Burnham?  I always thought your 5 score was very harsh. I long had the course between a 6 and a 7 and in Doak fashion downgraded to a 6.  I think Burnham is in the debate for top 50 GB&I, but more likely top 75.

Ciao

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »
M W-P

Interesting, I too don't think as highly of Delamere as many on this site do.  The drawback for me are the dull greens.  I don't think its as good as somewhat near neighbours Prestbury and Reddish Vale.  I need to get back to Reddish Vale.

Delamere really comes into its own in winter, when most courses in Cheshire suffer from boggy conditions. Delamere stays dry and firm and winter greens are unknown.

You'll be impressed on your return to Reddish Vale. There has been some serious chainsaw action in the last few years!

Just one example...

MWP,

You and Dan really must come to Reddish Vale on your next trip!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:39:14 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Eugene CC: I frankly didn't think I would enjoy a RTJ Sr. course which turned a Chandler Egan routing around so water would be in play in front of the greens, but boy was I wrong. Yes there are a couple of holes with carries over water but it's not in your face type stuff. There are of course trees, some very large but hey this is the Great Pacific Northwest so what did you expect! Nice to watch the NCAA Championships there shortly after playing it.   

RUNNER -UP:  Tokatee GC, a very charming place just outside of Eugene. The meadow, wetlands, hillside routing gives you the full flavor of the Pacific Northwest.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: I am never disappointed playing golf so nothing to mention here! 

BEST NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Sand Valley in Poland: This Tony Ristola course ticks all the boxes; sand based, check, interesting green complexes, check, ground game encouraged, check, intimidating carries over daunting hazards, check. full fescue, check, ice cold vodka at the House, check! 

BEST NEW PLAY LINKS: Sadly the Lavallee's didn't play a single new Links Course in 2016.

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS: Victoria GC in Canada, not new for me but the wife hadn't player there yet. Still one of my favorite courses for a fun day out. The more I see of A V Macan the more impressed I am. Jeff Mingay's stewardship shines through here. With several holes right on the Straights of Juan De Fuca there are tough holes, easy holes, and scenic holes but the sum of the parts has a great synergy, Special thanks to the Head Pro Lindsay for inviting us to play on a perfect Sept. afternoon. 

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Capilano: The wife planned a holiday in British Columbia and I was distraught that I had no connections to arrange a round there. But happily I mentioned it while playing my local Muni and a frequent playing partner who's a member at Pauma valley said he knew a member and would introduce us. Sure enough this past president of the Club couldn't have been a finer host. Capilano is a tough invite, even for people who have lived in Vancouver, so we are eternally grateful for the opportunity to play there and tour the Clubhouse, which is out of this world. The course is an interesting mix of extremely downhill holes with ones that get you back uphill without realizing it. The finish on flatter ground around the Clubhouse is World Class, with the 18 being truly one of a kind!

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: By affordable I mean under £40 (~$50).  As a member of the Coronado Men's Club I kiss the ground every time I get out of the car to play in their monthly weekend tournaments. A $25 anti gets you two weekend rounds at the County's most popular course with prize fund, free breakfast on Sat. and free lunch and beer on Sun. Heaven on Earth is belonging to the CMGC; the 5 year wait to get in was truly worth it. The golf course itself is the ideal Muni, flat enough for your Granddad to walk, easy enough for beginners to get around and just tough enough on the pushup greens to confound better players. 

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: By moderate I mean between £40 and £55 (~$70) and no member invitation, deals or other special circumstances involved. Torrey Pines North, I'll be very interested to see how the Weiskopf renovation turned out. Torrey certainly has a sense of place and the North Course is undoubtedly the more scenic and enjoyable of the two layouts. It's a shame to see Billy Bell Jr.'s best set of greens blown up but the City and PGA Tour Pros don't like 5% slopes!. 

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Cypress Point GC.

FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: As a resident of San Diego County it's always great fun to play Barona Creek. Our Sunday group made it out there just once this year but we had a blast. Firm and fast with golf shots the excite you in the MacKenzie way, challenging carries over massive bunkers. There's always a thrill in store when you  play here!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
M W-P

Delamere really comes into its own in winter, when most courses in Cheshire suffer from boggy conditions. Delamere stays dry and firm and winter greens are unknown.

You'll be impressed on your return to Reddish Vale. There has been some serious chainsaw action in the last few years!

Just one example...

MWP,

You and Dan really must come to Reddish Vale on your next trip!
Will do mate...you still seeing the little fella at his new gigs?
Impressive set up he has there...his teaching just gets better and better

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »

Will do mate...you still seeing the little fella at his new gigs?
Impressive set up he has there...his teaching just gets better and better

It seems like every time I call him to arrange a lesson he's in bloody America!  ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:35 AM »
M W-P

Yep, I would like to see Delamere again...and Prestbury.  However, I think my #1 goal up that way is Manchester. 

Ciao

Ian Andrew

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »

BEST MODERN COURSE: Wolf Point. Loved the playing freedoms. Loved the green contours. It was unusual in a few places, but always interesting and some brilliant choices. Full of lessons and smart thoughts.

RUNNER-UP MODERN COURSE: Bluejack National. Went to see it out of curiosity after Adam Lawrence had suggested it. Golf was better and smarter than I honestly though it would be. A little too much shaping in spots, but tremendous and surprising restraint in other areas. The Club is the best concept I’ve seen in quite some time – worth joining.

BETTER THE SECOND TIME: Streamsong (Red). It really helped to play further up and with less wind this time. I enjoyed more of what I played in a second play. Back nine rocks.

SURPRISING GOLDEN AGE COURSE: Pepper Pike Club. Some truly outstanding holes at 2, 8, 11 and 15. Great use of terrain throughout, just needs a further thinning of the heard on the edges and a little restorative love to be superb. Too bad nobody will ever see the results.

NINE HOLES OF JOY: Quogue Field Club Dead flat sites with great golf are rare. There are amazing features throughout.

MOST SURPRISING MODERN COURSE: Applebrook by Gil Hanse. I think the front nine stands out as some of my favourite work of his to date. Some of it is where he pushed and some of it is where he left well alone. I was more impressed by the moments of restraint.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Tarandowah in Avon, Ontario. Work by Martin Hawtree, but key is conditions by Dan Lavis. Dollar for dollar the best presented course in Canada. $38. Per play

FAVOURITE COURSE: Highlands Links. As flawed as the conditions can be, the greens and routing have few peers in golf. The crazy berm on the river at 12 was a huge disappointment to see. Still, always a thrill to play so many great holes. New view of ocean on right of 18th was awesome!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:28:21 AM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »
I think my #1 goal up that way is Manchester. 

I visit to Manchester GC would tie in nicely with Crosland Heath. They are maybe 30 minutes apart.

Keep me in the loop...

Scott Warren

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »
Tom,

Interesting comments on Barwon Heads.  Having spent 30 minutes walking around the course near the clubhouse it's the one course in Australia that I didn't play on my recent trip but really wish I had.

That perhaps slightly misrepresents Barwon Heads as that opening six holes may well be the best six holes on the course. Ther land there is certainly the most dramatic.

Scott Warren

Re: The 2016 YANK AWARDS New
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2016, 07:49:43 PM »
This is always fun exercise at the end of the year, although with two small children my sample sizes -- both new courses and total courses --  have taken a hit in recent years.

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: The Ridge. A council course built on a landfill at Bardon Ridge about 40km south of Sydney. The greens have some real fun in them, the land is interesting, the views are expansive and there's enough variety in the holes to keep your interest from go to whoa. And for that you pay $25 midweek or $35 at the weekend. 

RUNNER -UP: Elanora. I knew is was a wealthy club and highly rated, but I liked the character of the exposed rockfaces on four or five holes that sets it aside from other northern Sydney courses, and the views over the distant beaches are lovely.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Moore Park. While it's great that Sydney has an affordable public course within a couple of kilometres of Central Station, the course is choked by trees and has only a few compelling holes.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!): Newcastle. Every time I go there it's better than I recall and the presentation gets crisper. The land is brilliant and Eric Apperly routed some superb holes along and across the ridges. I just hope their "sell the crap holes and build better ones on new land" exercise is a success.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: The Ridge.

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Barnbougle Lost Farm. There is not a better golf trip in the world than a few days at Barny with the phone switched off. Both courses are sublime, but the Lost Farm has ducked its nose in front of Barnbougle Dunes for me, at the moment. Mates and I flew down from Sydney in July, hired a car, had three days golf (45 Farm, 27 Dunes) and two nights at Lost Farm, bellies full of food and beer and got change from $800 each all included. You can't beat that.

FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: New South Wales. The recent burn-offs of native have opened up some long views that I'd forgotten existed and the joy-to-be-alive factor is as good as it gets.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 04:47:07 AM by Scott Warren »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back