News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: The 2016 YANK AWARDS
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
Which means Irvine Bogside win for being far better and offering much more fun and variety than expected.

Ally

Never gave Irvine much thought. Thanks, I will add it to my list of Ayeshire courses to see.

I think Mid Pines is considerably more than $70 a game without some sort of deal. Well, I hope $200 is never considered moderately priced  ;)

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:26:30 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
I think Mid Pines is considerably more than $70 a game wighout some sort of deal. Well, I hope $200 is never considered moderately priced  ;)

Member guest rate is closer to $70 than $200!
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »
Be glad that you didn't play Wild Dunes Harbor.

I told you not to bother well before you got there!

H.P.S.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »
I think Mid Pines is considerably more than $70 a game wighout some sort of deal. Well, I hope $200 is never considered moderately priced  ;)

Member guest rate is closer to $70 than $200!

A ton of courses are moderately priced when you know someone!  I was thinking of high season weekday rack rate as the standard for moderately priced.

Ciao

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 06:13:30 PM »

Well, since CC Charleston, Bulls Bay and Yeaman's Hall didn't open their arms to me, I had to go with what I could get. Ironic how bad Charleston public golf is, compared to those three. Ever play Snee Farm?

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BCowan

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 09:11:04 PM »
Best New Play  Moraine- Impressive piece of land and many great design features on the valley holes.  Look forward to watching this mature and come into it's own. 
Runner Up-  Belvedere and Timuquana

Most Disappointing New Play
Oakland Hills South- I can't believe folks think highly of this course. 
Runner UpForest Dunes-  Besides the first par 5 which was great, it is mediocre at best.

Favorite New Play Belevedere- The Genius Loci is off the charts.  Its everything that American Golf should be.  The green side maint leads to many options around the green. 

Best Affordable New Play- Champion Hills and Palatka-  Completely blown away with how good these courses are from an Architectural perspective.  Fun is an understatement too.  Forget the low key maint, and the maint at CH is better then half the privates in SE MI while spending 1/8th the budget. 

Ben Stephens

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »

A bit of a surprise that Luffenham was voted Most Disappointing New course - can you elaborate a bit more what can be done to it to make it a better course

They have cleared a lot of hawthorn especially on the left of the 2nd hole and the right of the 18th.

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: One new course stood out this year....Royal Wimbledon.  Lovely terrain with some lovely bunkering and very good grassing lines around greens.  I usually look for more adventurous designs, but there is enough happening to keep one earnest, intrigued and interested.  I certainly want a return engagement.   

RUNNER -UP: Birmingham CC in Michigan.  I was shocked by the transformation of the course with the removal of trees and green work. 

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Luffenham Heath needs to rethink how it wants to best utilize the main feature of the course as a heathland.  There is a much better course on that site than is currently the case. 

BEST NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Gleneagles Kings charmed me to no end and that was during a dour day.  The site is absolutely superb and for the most part the renovation is very well done.  This is the one Scottish course tourists are making a mistake by skipping because its inland. 

RUNNER-UP: Palmetto! Its a tough year when Palmetto can't top the list.

BEST NEW PLAY LINKS: Kingsbarns...I think something quite special was pulled off on this site.

RUNNER UP: Some may be surprised by this choice, but not only is Elie enjoyable, its a damn good course!  I loved all the front to back greens and the managable length.  Play the course often enough and the wind will even things out. 

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!): Worplesdon.  My admiration for this design increases with each play.  There are simply too many good holes over good terrain for Worpy to be considered second tier. 

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS: Elie in a landslide.   

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: A tie between Palmetto and Welshpool...both shot straight into my top ten Happy 100. Both courses feature extremely interesting greens and Welshpool has views few courses can boast of. 

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: By affordable I mean under £40 (~$50).  Only a handful of courses qualify and Kington remains the king of the hill. 

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: By moderate I mean between £40 and £55 (~$70) and no member invitation, deals or other special circumstances involved. Despite its serious flaws, The Eden remains a good course and good value due to its many excellent holes. 

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: North Berwick pips Kingsbarns and Gleneagles Kings.

FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Kington remains on top of the heap. 

Lets see your awards.

Ciao

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 09:15:49 AM »
Tom W...Be glad that you didn't play Wild Dunes Harbor. Is the Sandpiper that disappointed you, the one in Santa Barbara? I liked that course a good bit. The 18th hole is wretched, but could be easily remedied.

Yes it is the one in Santa Barbara. I found the cliff top holes fun and certainly exhilarating but the first bunch of holes were pretty forgettable. I'd love to see someone come in and work on some of the holes. The conditioning was pretty bad too. The bones of a pretty wonderful course is there. It is a shame that the site wasn't fully utilized.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
Tommy

Palmetto's greens are outstanding and the course features many superb holes such as 3, 4, 7, 8, 13 & 16. 

I don't think there is anything close to a stinker at Palmetto.  15 is the closest I can think of, but the routing hitch from 15 to 16 is far more disconcerting to me...though that is easily solved. 

Maybe you need to revisit!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63547.msg1516831.html#msg1516831

Ciao

I probably do need to revisit the course. Like I said it has been about fifteen years and it was when the course was coming out of dormancy. I don't remember thinking that the greens were all that special and felt the par fives were not very strong. Except for 16, I was not enamoured with the finishing four holes. But then again it is only one play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »

Well, since CC Charleston, Bulls Bay and Yeaman's Hall didn't open their arms to me, I had to go with what I could get. Ironic how bad Charleston public golf is, compared to those three. Ever play Snee Farm?

You should of checked out the Charleston Muni. That is very neat little public golf course with a few awesome classic holes.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Deacon's Lodge (Palmer) in Brainerd, Minnesota. A nice setting for golf, with some wild terrain, but there is just a lot going on and I didn't find much of it interesting.

Interesting choice Pat.  I play the course every year and my impression varies wildly from a course I think is elite to one that I find too awkward.  I love the wild and wooly look of the course.  I find the awkward layups and forced carries to be a detraction although the shots are pretty interesting once you get to know them.  I also think a few of the holes are among the best I have played including 5, 13 and 15.  The par 5s are very interesting and I sometimes think they are brilliant and sometimes think they are overdone. 

Did you play the Classic?  It does not get a lot of love from rating panels and runs contrary to many preferences here but I think it is one of the best in the state.    It was a better golf course when the nines were in their original order (10 was originally 1) because the course sort of slaps you in the face from the outset with intimidating shots throughout the current front nine.

Jason,

Perhaps I would enjoy Deacon's Lodge more after additional plays. I agree, I like the look and enjoyed the setting very much. I found the course fairly repetitive in that I played many of the risk-reward holes the same way or took the same angles? I agree #5 is a great hole. Not sure I agree that #13 and #15 should be considered great. Overall I think it's a fine place to play golf, however I was a tad disappointed as the course looks great, and from what I had seen of the course prior I thought it was going to be a little more interesting and fun to play.

I have played the Classic, although that was two years ago I believe. I enjoyed that one quite a bit.
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:28 AM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Yeamans Hall. Extreme width in a gorgeous lowcountry setting, matched with memorable architecture and firm and fast maintenance add up to a very special golf course.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE:
None

BEST NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE:
Hollinwell. What I wouldn't give to have this course near me. I loved everything about it. One of those courses where you’re taken on a journey through some wonderful terrain, including forests, fields, streams, ponds and hilltops. Some amazing views up there! And the course was in immaculate condition, rivaling many a links I’ve seen.

RUNNER-UP:
Ganton. Very much the same type of feelings toward Ganton as Hollinwell. I can’t wait to go back!

BEST NEW PLAY LINKS:
Royal St George’s. THE links I’d recommend everyone see in their lifetime. I am in awe of it and its neighbor, Royal Cinque Ports. As good a one-two punch as any in my experience.

RUNNER UP: Rye. A step back in time. Thrilling golf. Rugged, sometimes scary, perhaps even a bit “evil”. If young Tom Riddle were a golfer he would’ve played here, using one of those signature eyebrows as a horcrux.

FAVORITE NEW PLAY LINKS: Royal St George’s

FAVORITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Hollinwell

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Thanks to my friend, Tim Gallant, North Berwick cost me just 40 quid!

BEST HIGH DOLLAR PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: The Ocean Course at Kiawah

FAVORITE COURSE PLAYED LOCALLY: Sweetens Cove

FAVORITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:
Dismal River.  My drug of choice is a day out on the Nicklaus course.

RUNNER-UP: St. Andrews. Much like Dismal, my adrenaline is maxed from start to finish.

IN A CATEGORY ALL IT'S OWN: Wolf Point. Though it lacks the dramatic topography of a Hollinwell or the more quiet elevation changes at Ganton, Wolf Point does more with less than any course I know and is the course I wish was in my backyard.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:50:39 PM by Eric Smith »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »

The Real TW,

I cannot argue with a thing you said. Those holes that open the back nine are stunning, aren't they? 18 could easily replicate the 18th at Pasatiempo, if they did just a little something with the green and surrounds.

Tom W...Be glad that you didn't play Wild Dunes Harbor. Is the Sandpiper that disappointed you, the one in Santa Barbara? I liked that course a good bit. The 18th hole is wretched, but could be easily remedied.

Yes it is the one in Santa Barbara. I found the cliff top holes fun and certainly exhilarating but the first bunch of holes were pretty forgettable. I'd love to see someone come in and work on some of the holes. The conditioning was pretty bad too. The bones of a pretty wonderful course is there. It is a shame that the site wasn't fully utilized.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
The apocalypse has arrived. This guy, dexterously referencing the deathly hallows, in a GCA post.

If young Tom Riddle were a golfer he would’ve played here, using one of those signature eyebrows as a horcrux.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Simon Holt

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE:
Kinloch, New Zealand.
Not being a huge fan of Nicklaus' courses I wouldn't have opened the car window if it wasn't for a heads up from a rather unlikely (to me) source.  I really, really, no really, liked it.  Almost had a Kingsbarns feel to it in terms of the shaping but every hole seemed to give something different - I genuinely can't think of any weak holes but they did need to lower the mowers on the fairways to squeeze a little more run.  Great variation throughout and lots of options.

It's an ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY if you are on the North Island, if nothing else to serve as a foil to the much lauded cliff top golf on offer.  I'm am now the joint President, Secretary and Treasurer of the Kinloch Appreciation Society.  I have played courses in multiple World Top 100s that are in it's shadow.
RUNNER -UP:
I'd be naming one for the sake of it.  No real "wow, I didn't expect that" moments other than Kinloch 
Ganton was a really good first play without being outstanding - for no particular reason I just thought it would be ok, so I suppose that counts as a very nice surprise.  I loved the bunkering and the whole place was charming. 

We joked that the caddie master come locker room attendant was like a Yorkshire version of Bruce Wayne's butler.  When we got back in I thanked him for being exceptionally helpful and asked for his name. "Alfred.", he replied.  You couldn't make it up.  (in my best Geoffrey Boycott)

Kauri Cliffs.
Potentially due to the torrential downpour but the design left me a little empty.  I can appreciate the routing but it may be the poster child for great views blinding the golfer to fairly average golf holes.  Wonderful place though and I'm pulling teeth given the list of great courses it sits amongst in NZ.  Tough neighbourhood. 

This is a tough one.  Technically it has to be Royal Melbourne West in a tie with Kingston Heath but it's very hard to not class them as links the way they play.  Given that, it has to be Chicago Golf Club.  A living museum to great golf course architecture.  It was fun for a North Berwick lad to see their takes on the Biarritz green, Redan and so on.

RUNNER-UP:
Shoreacres
I'm not a good enough writer to get my point across but some places have "the feel".  All golfers know what "the feel" is when you pull into a really special place and Shoreacres has that in abundance.  The start (1), finish (18) and middle (9) on that flattish land is ho-hum, but the use of the ravines is outstanding.  That stretch from 10-15 is special.  And to slightly contradict myself I did like the shared fairway on 9 and 18.The green to tee transition award has to go to the seamless walk off the side of 11 green to 12 tee; lovely stuff.  Then the routing in and out of 12 and 13 is just marvellous. 

As an aside, probably the best Road Hole I have played in the US is the 10th at Shoreacres.

Honourable mention to Titirangias just a great fun inland course and club.  Somewhere I could easily hang out and play lots of golf without getting bored.  The best moment was our 2-ball coming up behind a 4-ball of older members on about 11.  Without a thought they let us through as soon as they saw us.  As delighted as I was, I'm annoyed I had to fly to the opposite side of the world for this to happen.  So that's where all the golfers with good etiquette are! 

The 14th green at Titirangi was the standout of the year - quite incredible movement.

BEST NEW PLAY LINKS:
Royal St George's
I would have loved to say Deal as I was blown away by how great a club RCP is, but when I dig down RSG gets the nod.  Excellent variety of holes, lovely change of direction and good unexpected rise and fall in elevation.

RUNNER UP:
Deal
Just great fun golf.  Played on a very windy day and loved it all.  Great links conditioning only bettered by Rye the day before as their rough was more manageable.  That was my only gripe - a slightly tugged wedge on the par 3 8th(?), one bounce off the top of a bunker, lost ball.  Very annoying.

That stretch might be brutal back into the wind but what a stretch it is coming home.  16 and 17 are simply brilliant.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!):
Dunbar
Just so underrated.  The 12th is one of the best holes on the East coast.  The start and finish is a bit crap but jammed between is juicy goodness.   

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS:
Paraparaumu Beach   
This could have slid into the biggest surprises category since I didn't read anything before I got there and was stunned by lack of beach!  Even more stunned by the incredible rumplestiltskin fairways but then very subtle, tilted greens; which putted absolutely beautifully. 

Another place with "the feel" in abundance, with none of the grandeur of a US Country Club....most thankfully!

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE:
Kingston Heath
Absolutely loved it.  I could pull teeth and say RMW was a better course but Kingston Heath struck a chord with me in the way North Berwick does.  Not crazy difficult by any stretch but exudes charm and grace.  Wonderful company all round, too.  Even my back-9 caddy was a good lad.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:
Askernish
£20 in an envelope.  The story is too long but the bullet points are: Edinburgh.  Sunday 10pm in a Thai restaurant.  Zero plans for Monday. Askernish comes up in conversation.  Book flights 30 mins later.  8am Monday morning.  On a flight from Glasgow to Benbecula.  Much messaging to Adam Lawrence for info.  Play course. Love course.  Stay at very strange B&B.  Fly home Tuesday AM.

WILD greens.  Make the trip, folks.

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:
I'm not sure if Crail Balcomie slips into this bracket?  Much spoken of.  I agree with all the good stuff.

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: TARA ITI.  It could be the best course I have ever played but it certainly makes my top 5.....which has 11 in it.

FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: North Berwick...every time.  Unashamed.

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 02:49:19 AM »

[size=78%]BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: [/size]

[/color]Askernish
£20 in an envelope.  The story is too long but the bullet points are: Edinburgh.  Sunday 10pm in a Thai restaurant.  Zero plans for Monday. Askernish comes up in conversation.  Book flights 30 mins later.  8am Monday morning.  On a flight from Glasgow to Benbecula.  Much messaging to Adam Lawrence for info.  Play course. Love course.  Stay at very strange B&B.  Fly home Tuesday AM.

I remember this incident fondly. So when do we get to see the show that results?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 05:45:24 AM »

Sorry you had to play so many dog tracks in 2016, Simon. Hopefully, 2017 will bring better opportunities ...  ::) ??? ::) ???

You have just entered my "Top 5 Most Envied Golfers" list (which has 11 golfers on it) and I congratulate you on your inventory of courses and your delightful candor in detailing your time there.

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE:
Kinloch, New Zealand.
Not being a huge fan of Nicklaus' courses I wouldn't have opened the car window if it wasn't for a heads up from a rather unlikely (to me) source.  I really, really, no really, liked it.  Almost had a Kingsbarns feel to it in terms of the shaping but every hole seemed to give something different - I genuinely can't think of any weak holes but they did need to lower the mowers on the fairways to squeeze a little more run.  Great variation throughout and lots of options.

It's an ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY if you are on the North Island, if nothing else to serve as a foil to the much lauded cliff top golf on offer.  I'm am now the joint President, Secretary and Treasurer of the Kinloch Appreciation Society.  I have played courses in multiple World Top 100s that are in it's shadow.
RUNNER -UP:
I'd be naming one for the sake of it.  No real "wow, I didn't expect that" moments other than Kinloch 
Ganton was a really good first play without being outstanding - for no particular reason I just thought it would be ok, so I suppose that counts as a very nice surprise.  I loved the bunkering and the whole place was charming. 

We joked that the caddie master come locker room attendant was like a Yorkshire version of Bruce Wayne's butler.  When we got back in I thanked him for being exceptionally helpful and asked for his name. "Alfred.", he replied.  You couldn't make it up.  (in my best Geoffrey Boycott)

Kauri Cliffs.
Potentially due to the torrential downpour but the design left me a little empty.  I can appreciate the routing but it may be the poster child for great views blinding the golfer to fairly average golf holes.  Wonderful place though and I'm pulling teeth given the list of great courses it sits amongst in NZ.  Tough neighbourhood. 

This is a tough one.  Technically it has to be Royal Melbourne West in a tie with Kingston Heath but it's very hard to not class them as links the way they play.  Given that, it has to be Chicago Golf Club.  A living museum to great golf course architecture.  It was fun for a North Berwick lad to see their takes on the Biarritz green, Redan and so on.

RUNNER-UP:
Shoreacres
I'm not a good enough writer to get my point across but some places have "the feel".  All golfers know what "the feel" is when you pull into a really special place and Shoreacres has that in abundance.  The start (1), finish (18) and middle (9) on that flattish land is ho-hum, but the use of the ravines is outstanding.  That stretch from 10-15 is special.  And to slightly contradict myself I did like the shared fairway on 9 and 18.The green to tee transition award has to go to the seamless walk off the side of 11 green to 12 tee; lovely stuff.  Then the routing in and out of 12 and 13 is just marvellous. 

As an aside, probably the best Road Hole I have played in the US is the 10th at Shoreacres.

Honourable mention to Titirangias just a great fun inland course and club.  Somewhere I could easily hang out and play lots of golf without getting bored.  The best moment was our 2-ball coming up behind a 4-ball of older members on about 11.  Without a thought they let us through as soon as they saw us.  As delighted as I was, I'm annoyed I had to fly to the opposite side of the world for this to happen.  So that's where all the golfers with good etiquette are! 

The 14th green at Titirangi was the standout of the year - quite incredible movement.

BEST NEW PLAY LINKS:
Royal St George's
I would have loved to say Deal as I was blown away by how great a club RCP is, but when I dig down RSG gets the nod.  Excellent variety of holes, lovely change of direction and good unexpected rise and fall in elevation.

RUNNER UP:
Deal
Just great fun golf.  Played on a very windy day and loved it all.  Great links conditioning only bettered by Rye the day before as their rough was more manageable.  That was my only gripe - a slightly tugged wedge on the par 3 8th(?), one bounce off the top of a bunker, lost ball.  Very annoying.

That stretch might be brutal back into the wind but what a stretch it is coming home.  16 and 17 are simply brilliant.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!):
Dunbar
Just so underrated.  The 12th is one of the best holes on the East coast.  The start and finish is a bit crap but jammed between is juicy goodness.   

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS:
Paraparaumu Beach   
This could have slid into the biggest surprises category since I didn't read anything before I got there and was stunned by lack of beach!  Even more stunned by the incredible rumplestiltskin fairways but then very subtle, tilted greens; which putted absolutely beautifully. 

Another place with "the feel" in abundance, with none of the grandeur of a US Country Club....most thankfully!

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE:
Kingston Heath
Absolutely loved it.  I could pull teeth and say RMW was a better course but Kingston Heath struck a chord with me in the way North Berwick does.  Not crazy difficult by any stretch but exudes charm and grace.  Wonderful company all round, too.  Even my back-9 caddy was a good lad.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:
Askernish

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:
I'm not sure if Crail Balcomie slips into this bracket?  Much spoken of.  I agree with all the good stuff.

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: TARA ITI.  It could be the best course I have ever played but it certainly makes my top 5.....which has 11 in it.

FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: North Berwick...every time.  Unashamed.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 06:07:40 AM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Newcastle NSW - I expected it to be good but hadn't expected such a great piece of land or such bold use of it or a course on this scale.
RUNNER -UP: Cruit Island - I was expecting something picturesque but not really much of a golf course, a dumb blonde, in fact.  There's no doubting the beauty of Cruit but there are enough good golf holes to avoid it being a dumb blonde.
MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE:   Rosses Point - I was half expecting this to be the best of the set we played at BUDA in Ireland.  There's some decent stuff there but some very average stuff, too.
BEST NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Royal Melbourne West - simply brilliant, obviously, despite some issues with the grass (after a month in Aus I've heard more conversations about grass than in the previous 50 years of my life).  A great, great course which would be even better if maintained like:
RUNNER-UP: Kingston Heath - I had expected this to be good but perhaps in a slightly more functional way than RMW.  What I found (or, more accurately, was shown) was a course using a relatively flat piece of land at least as well as similarly flat land is used at TOC or Muirfield but with as good playing surfaces and conditions as I have encountered.  Firm, fast fairways and greens, firm, shallow sand in bunkers and tight lies on fairways.  So close to RMW there's room for a recount.
BEST NEW PLAY LINKS: Narin and Portnoo - A real surprise for me, I had expected this to rank well down the list of courses played at BUDA but I loved it.  Sensible use of flat land from 2-5 (the fairway at 5, at least) but really good, dramatic use of some dramatic land on the rest of the course.  Some routing issues (three consecutive par 5s, the daft walk back to 16 tee from 16 green to play 17) but a beautiful place and great fun to play.
RUNNER UP:   Portstewart ties with Port Fairy - Portstewart is a good, solid, mansize links.  It'll be a real test for the pros in the Irish Open next year and there are some cracking holes.  It falls short of best because, for me, the first isn't the great hole it is claimed to be and there's a slightly dull run in the middle of the back 9.  Port Fairy epitomises so much of what is best about golf.  It's simply laid out on some great links land.  The best run of holes in the middle of the back 9.  The flatter, duller land is used intelligently.  Great fun but a real test.  In some ways it reminded me of Elie and Crail.
MOST SURPRISING SECOND PLAY:  Kilspindie - short and a real routing glitch from 8-10 but great fun and some really good holes.  Much better than I remembered and far too long since I'd been there.
FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS:  Narin & Portnoo 
FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: KIngston Heath
BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Port Fairy - AUS$40 is the rack rate, so way under the £40 cut off, a proper links with some superb golf.  Kington get's a more than honourable mention.
BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: The weekday rate at Kilspindie is £49.  Newcastle NSW is $95.  If Newcastle counts (depends on exchange rate) then it's in, otherwise Kilspindie wins.
BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: RMW
FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Elie
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:39:51 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Simon Holt

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 06:11:04 AM »

[size=78%]BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: [/size]
[/color]
Askernish

I remember this incident fondly. So when do we get to see the show that results?

Adam,

I do need to check in on that actually.  All still on the down-low.

Ronald,

Thank you.  I did realise it read rather name droppy to say the least.  I had a great fun year which involved far less rounds played than the last 6 or 7 years, but more high quality condensed trips that I was very lucky to ride shotgun on.

It's complicated but Top 5 is my answer to the impossible question of "what is the best X you have ever played/eaten/drunk".  Like there could ever be the best slice of pizza in NYC but there could be a top 5... which doesn't have to be limited to 5 or even run up to 5, it's merely a phrase to suggest it hangs with the very best in it's genre.  So try and be more pompous than that.

Is Tara Iti the best course in the world in my opinion?  Maybe, but it's certainly "top 5".  Does Lundin Links serve the best Sticky Toffee Pudding?  Maybe, but it's CERTAINLY top 5.  For reference I have eaten over 60 iterations of STP and I only have 4 worthy enough for my top 5; I am far more strict on the criteria for great puddings than I am on golf courses.  Royal Dornoch courts controversy by serving sticky banana pudding (notice lower case) I mean, don't f**k with a classic, even if you do serve it on a cool crested plate with an excellent toffee sauce.  What were they thinking?!  Much like Graylyn Loomis has a Power Shower rating at each club I have a Sticky rating. All rights reserved.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Giles Payne

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:42 AM »
This year has been rather short of new courses but the two that stood out were Kington and Cleeve Hill. They both fall into the affordable and fun categories and I loved both.

Cleeve Hill really feels like the top of the world with masses of space to open your shoulders but needs to be played much more carefully and strategically if you want to play well.

Kington was another top of the world course with great views. You need to think your way round rather more and, as Shaun says, understand the effect of gravity on your ball once it has landed. Some great fun shots to go along with a need for a thoughtful strategic approach.

Kington won comfortable but this just renews my determination to see Painswick.

All the other new courses were fairly non-descript but fortunately no stinkers.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »

Giles,

Cleeve Hill is great for us who suffer from wayward driving :)
Need to go back there sometime next year

Cheers
Ben

This year has been rather short of new courses but the two that stood out were Kington and Cleeve Hill. They both fall into the affordable and fun categories and I loved both.

Cleeve Hill really feels like the top of the world with masses of space to open your shoulders but needs to be played much more carefully and strategically if you want to play well.

Kington was another top of the world course with great views. You need to think your way round rather more and, as Shaun says, understand the effect of gravity on your ball once it has landed. Some great fun shots to go along with a need for a thoughtful strategic approach.

Kington won comfortable but this just renews my determination to see Painswick.

All the other new courses were fairly non-descript but fortunately no stinkers.

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 07:27:19 AM »

A bit of a surprise that Luffenham was voted Most Disappointing New course - can you elaborate a bit more what can be done to it to make it a better course

They have cleared a lot of hawthorn especially on the left of the 2nd hole and the right of the 18th.

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: One new course stood out this year....Royal Wimbledon.  Lovely terrain with some lovely bunkering and very good grassing lines around greens.  I usually look for more adventurous designs, but there is enough happening to keep one earnest, intrigued and interested.  I certainly want a return engagement.   

RUNNER -UP: Birmingham CC in Michigan.  I was shocked by the transformation of the course with the removal of trees and green work. 

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Luffenham Heath needs to rethink how it wants to best utilize the main feature of the course as a heathland.  There is a much better course on that site than is currently the case. 

BEST NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Gleneagles Kings charmed me to no end and that was during a dour day.  The site is absolutely superb and for the most part the renovation is very well done.  This is the one Scottish course tourists are making a mistake by skipping because its inland. 

RUNNER-UP: Palmetto! Its a tough year when Palmetto can't top the list.

BEST NEW PLAY LINKS: Kingsbarns...I think something quite special was pulled off on this site.

RUNNER UP: Some may be surprised by this choice, but not only is Elie enjoyable, its a damn good course!  I loved all the front to back greens and the managable length.  Play the course often enough and the wind will even things out. 

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!): Worplesdon.  My admiration for this design increases with each play.  There are simply too many good holes over good terrain for Worpy to be considered second tier. 

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS: Elie in a landslide.   

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: A tie between Palmetto and Welshpool...both shot straight into my top ten Happy 100. Both courses feature extremely interesting greens and Welshpool has views few courses can boast of. 

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: By affordable I mean under £40 (~$50).  Only a handful of courses qualify and Kington remains the king of the hill. 

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: By moderate I mean between £40 and £55 (~$70) and no member invitation, deals or other special circumstances involved. Despite its serious flaws, The Eden remains a good course and good value due to its many excellent holes. 

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: North Berwick pips Kingsbarns and Gleneagles Kings.

FAVOURITE COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Kington remains on top of the heap. 

Lets see your awards.

Ciao

Ben

I think my Luffenham disappointment is as much to do with expectations as what is actually in the ground.  A few opinions I trusted led me to believe I would fall for Luffenham...I didn't.  To me, there are very few really good holes and annoyingly, the grass lines are terrible.  Plus, many holes are cut off from each other by trees, sometimes effecting more than just views.  The greens are a bit bland and there is a routing hitch which finds us playing one of the worst holes I have ever seen.  Other than the usual stuff, I don't know how to improve the course, but it does seem like that property should yield something better.

Note to self...I must make it back to Kilspindie.

Ciao 

Niall C

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 11:38:29 AM »
I’m not nearly as well travelled as many on here but nonetheless I did manage a pretty good year with a once in a lifetime type trip to California and of course BUDA in Ireland. As you might expect, my choices mainly revolve around those two trips.

Best New Seaside Course – Pebble Beach, some terrific holes.

Most Over-Rated New Course – Pebble Beach. Yes, some terrific holes……but also a fair number of OK holes played amongst a housing estate. A very posh housing estate admittedly, but still a housing estate. I haven’t played nearly enough top courses to attempt to compile a world rankings or even a US one but is this course really top 5 material ? The same principle applies to Spyglass but not nearly to the same extent.

Best New Inland Course – The Cal Club. I’m undoubtedly biased by the warm reception given by my hosts but even so a clear winner. From what I hear it could also be in the running for “Best Use of the Chainsaw”.

Most Disappointing New Course – Pasatiempo . A wonderful course that I expected to be my best new course of the year however perhaps my expectations were too high but for me there were just too many compromises. In comparison with the Cal Club where the course had been tuned up to the max, Pasatiempo feels kind of neglected. There are better holes at Pasa, IMO, but there is also too many trees sub-dividing fairways, cart paths and the biggest sin of all with long grass on the fringes of the greens.

Best New Nine Holes – bit of a pauchle this one but joint award to Olympic Club Par 3 course and Ally McIntosh’s new nine at Carne. The Olympic Par 3 course had a handful of par 3’s that are simply better than I played on Pebble or Spyglass, with honourable exception of PB 17. Just great fun over some nicely undulating ground. The McIntosh nine at Carne on the other hand are laid out over probably the most extreme land I’ve played on and really shouldn’t produce good golf but somehow do. There was more subtlety, artistry and strategic design in these nine holes than in all the Eddie Hackett courses I’ve played over in Ireland that it amazes me that the club doesn’t embrace this nine more.

Best New Links Course – Luffness New. I’ve been looking to play this course for years and it didn’t disappoint. You could argue that it maybe lacks a wee bit of variety in that there is a bit over use of the cross hazard and similar length holes but when all said and done it has some fantastic subtle greens (particularly the greens on the clubhouse side of the road) and that wonderful Gullane turf.

Best Repeat Visit – Rosses Point, County Sligo. I note that more than a few BUDAites were disappointed in Rosses Point but for me I’m more attuned to this kind of golf than the goat country of Carne and Enniscrone. The broad sweep of the greens matched perfectly the broad expansive views on offer at every turn………sorry, getting carried away there. Yes, really enjoyed my return to Rosses Point and relieved that the recent work hasn’t impinged too much on what was there already. Indeed I’d suggest the relocation of the 3rd (?) green is a good shout. 

Niall

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
"Most Disappointing New Course[/size] – Pasatiempo . A wonderful course that I expected to be my best new course of the year however perhaps my expectations were too high but for me there were just too many compromises. In comparison with the Cal Club where the course had been tuned up to the max, Pasatiempo feels kind of neglected. There are better holes at Pasa, IMO, but there is also too many trees sub-dividing fairways, cart paths and the biggest sin of all with long grass on the fringes of the greens. [/color]"

Let's see, judge...the Cal Club has all the money in the world as a private club and can limit play, thereby eliminating compromises. Pasa is a public course and cannot limit play, cannot spend all it wants on upkeep, but we vilify it? The category should be "Most Disappointing Course Conditioning."

Which holes had trees sub-dividing fairways?

I do agree about the long grass. Get rid of that. I played the course so quickly (chasing the rain) that I had forgotten about that wretched long grass.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Niall C

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »
Ronald

To be clear, I enjoyed Pasatiempo and marvelled at a lot of the design but simply it didn't live up to my perhaps lofty expectations. While I appreciate the difference in budgets between the Cal Club and Pasatiempo, the differences in set-up are still there so I'm not going to ignore them. While also some of the issues I had with Pasa might be budget related some are not and are what I would call structural issues.

For instance, similar to other MacKenzie courses I've seen, Pasa has several holes (6th and 7th off the top of my head) that run adjacent to each other but in opposite directions, and trees have been put in to provide a barrier between the two. The result is a compromise for both holes. That's not budgetary, that's a weakness in Mac's design and something he repeated elsewhere where he was fond of creating St A's like double fairways.

Likewise the decision to build a pretty poor range by stealing some of the first fairway is a compromise. Cart paths, are they a budgetary issue ? Possibly, but there is no denying that they are a design compromise.

Long grass round the fringes of greens, is that down to budget ? Again, the answer might be that it possibly is, I'd love to find out but as someone who is not known for hitting a lot of greens in regulation and who enjoys chipping and putting it was frustrating to have what would have been an inviting chip shot but not being able to play the shot the way you want.

Some of that can be sorted but not all. Still a great course though.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back