News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Coore & Crenshaw at Seminole - Video
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »

The following video was forwarded to me this morning. It gives an update to Coore & Crenshaw's work on the course. Their work looks amazing and there are some fantastic images of the property. The link is below:

https://vimeo.com/185644621
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Coore & Crenshaw at Seminole - Video
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:00:46 AM »
Please note that this is one of the courses to get pushed out when you think every new course you visit is top 50 in the world.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
Great video.  Thanks

Tim Gallant

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »
Thank you for sharing! What a great, educational video, and a good look at a course I would love to see in person some day.

Rick Emerson

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »
Could someone who is in the know answer a question for me. In a lot of spots in the video it looks like around certain bunkers they have put sand down on the turf that used to be there on the back side. Are they trying to make a lot of the bunkers just bleed into more new Sandy waste area? I'm sure it will look good when it is finished, but right now it looks a bit odd. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »
Mostly, I'm curious who is making this video for promotional purposes.  I can't imagine Seminole funding a video to promote themselves, but I'm also pretty surprised if Bill and Ben are doing it.

John McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:17:18 PM »
Around Lake Michigan there is a concept of "walking dunes".  Essentially, dunes move due to wind, tide etc.  People plant trees, grass to stabilized the dune but if it going to move, eventually it will. 

Florida is different than the Indiana Dunes.  But will exposing that much turf at Seminole cause hollows and dunes, wholly unexpected to appear?  Or is the plan to have those natural areas end up grounded like Pinehurst?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Steve_Roths

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
Does Seminole host any charity outings on their course?

Brad Engel

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:34 PM »
Mostly, I'm curious who is making this video for promotional purposes.  I can't imagine Seminole funding a video to promote themselves, but I'm also pretty surprised if Bill and Ben are doing it.

Could have been someone on the Coore & Crenshaw team in charge of media relations. I just found some videos on the LACC South work and it appears the person on Hanse's staff that is in charge of Plans, Graphics and Media Relations posted the videos.

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »

I just found some videos on the LACC South work and it appears the person on Hanse's staff that is in charge of Plans, Graphics and Media Relations posted the videos.
He's kind of a big deal. He has many leather-bound books ...

Ben Stephens

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 08:12:23 AM »

I just found some videos on the LACC South work and it appears the person on Hanse's staff that is in charge of Plans, Graphics and Media Relations posted the videos.
He's kind of a big deal. He has many leather-bound books ...

Eric is this the Emperor that you are talking about  ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »

My assumption would be that the video is for its membership, to help explain the changes to the golf course.

I doubt the video took much funding, if at all. The majority of the film is drone video with Ben Crenshaw doing voice over. A high school student could put something like the above video together in a few hours on his Macbook for next to no cost, really.
H.P.S.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »
Yes, the video was made by the club to explain & update the members on the changes.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
A good step to have videos of this type. Not just to educate the members etc but also as a record of what was done as part of a renovation and why it was done. A useful resource when a further renovation is/isn't being considered.
Atb

Frank M

Re: Coore & Crenshaw at Seminole - Video New
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
A high school student could lay out a golf course too, it doesn't mean it's any good.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:33:18 PM by Frank M »

William_G

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »

My assumption would be that the video is for its membership, to help explain the changes to the golf course.

I doubt the video took much funding, if at all. The majority of the film is drone video with Ben Crenshaw doing voice over. A high school student could put something like the above video together in a few hours on his Macbook for next to no cost, really.

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but as a videographer...I take issue with this comment.

I wonder, how much video experience do you have to be able to make a comment like this?

A high school student could lay out a golf course too, it doesn't mean it's any good.

hahaha, the Youtube generation will likely kick everyone's ass in video production
It's all about the golf!

Frank M

Re: Coore & Crenshaw at Seminole - Video New
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »
Who knows
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:32:52 PM by Frank M »

Dean Stokes

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »
Does Seminole host any charity outings on their course?
Steve, there are two events at the end of the season....i played in one and I met some more GCA'ers there. it's run by the Loggerhead Turtle facility I believe. It's always full and there's a waiting list from what I gather.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
I spoke to one of the caddies at Seminole who said he thought the changes were excellent and really fit in with the course. Roll on the Walker Cup....I know that looking at those aerials that I'm too long in the tooth to be on those back tees on 2,4 and 11!!! I may not get over the water on 2 and 11 given a north wind :)  Superb course and experience and in my opinion. Will spectators be able to watch the Walker Cup? Thanks.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »
Has the Walker Cup officially been announced? This search

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=walker%20cup%20seminole

says yes, but that was 3 years ago and nothing since then.

Walker Cup is THE best tournament stateside to watch. I've seen/covered two, at Merion and NGLA. I would love to get out to LANorth in 2017, but it will take a miracle. Spectators basically have the run of the joint, as there are no grandstands and little infrastructure.

Folks with tournaments like the Porter Cup (ours in western New York) are spoiled by seeing the best male amateurs each summer, but a Walker Cup is extraordinarily special. Amazing clubs host the event here in the colonies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Cup

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Schott

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
What a treasure. Both getting to know more about Seminole, a course that for many is sacred but secret land and for the course itself. It's certainly the closest many of us will ever get to playing this Ross masterpiece.

JWL

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the video of Ben's comments.
I have played Seminole several times, even in tournament conditions, and I think Ben's identification of the greenside bunker problem that his team addressed is right on.   Seminole, being a wind swept course, found its difficulty or challenge in 3 areas.   Speed of the greens was always very high, and thus difficult in wind conditions.   The greens, being slightly crowned in many areas, would often repel good approach shots.    The problem with that was that the bunkers surrounding most of the greens had steep faces, and as Ben pointed out, the width of the bunker meant that the ball would race off the green, down the steep slope of the bunker and then onto an upslope on the outside edge of the bunker.    This made the recovery shot very very difficult even for accomplished players.    Downslope bunker shot to elevated fast greens in windy conditions will run your score up quickly.
I was very pleased to see all that Ben described that was being changed at Seminole, and especially his identifying the problem with the bunker relationships to the crowned greens.   By widening them out as he explained, the ball will have space to come to rest on the bottom of the bunker and make the recovery shot much more predictable.
I look forward to playing it next May.   Great work Ben.

Tom Walsh

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but as a videographer...I take issue with this comment.

I wonder, how much video experience do you have to be able to make a comment like this?

I teach a video production elective to high school students. I have had exactly one student in six years who could produce a video approaching this quality. I love high school kids. I've been teaching high school for 30 years. But you get what you pay for.  :D
"vado pro vexillum!"

Mark_Fine

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
I would never judge a course from a video but aesthetically I am not sure I like the look of the formal bunkers next to the sandy waste areas.  Maybe the work isn't finished or needs time to bleed/blend in?   Take a look at Pinehurst #2's bunkers that C&C did next to the sandy waste areas vs the look at Seminole.  I like what they did at #2 a lot.  Only played Seminole once but hope to play it again after all is completed.  Better to judge in person so I will hold off on any strong opinions.   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:36:16 PM by Mark_Fine »

David Davis

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »
Thanks for posting this, I just now saw it and found it very interesting and timely given last week I was fortunate enough to play Seminole for the first time. My caddy was explaining some of these changes since I had never seen the course before. Nice to see them further explained like this.

Really interesting course from an architecture standpoint, Ross did a lot with a little in terms of features there. Great work with the ridge and the holes near the strip of dune separating the course from the ocean. Some of those holes slightly remind me of the holes at Royal Liverpool that work down from the dune ridge there. (note just remind, not saying they are necessarily similar).

There are still some bunkers they will be redoing and I was shown what a big difference these changes are. As is mentioned in the video some of these older bunkers are smaller and often the ball ends up on down slopes requiring extremely tough recovery shots.

It was a very windy day when I played and I had the chance to sample more than my share of bunkers. I also managed to play a bit of ping-pong on hole 3 and 17 after hitting pretty good tee shots both of which hit the greens and in the wind weren't able to hold them.

Seminole requires some seriously good shotmaking when it's windy and the greens are running so fast.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back