News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MClutterbuck

OT - for Supers - Rollers
« on: November 24, 2016, 06:52:25 AM »

We are looking to purchase new green rollers. In Argentina I believe all courses have Salsco rollers, as we do, so we can't talk to anybody locally with experience with Toro. Toro is pricing their 1240 Greens Pro aggresively below Salsco. Basically half its price. Anyone have any experience with the roller and its performance?

Our course in Buenos Aires is regarded as probably the best maintained greens in the country that roll really well and fast, so the performance of the rollers is important.

Appreciate any help.

Peter Ferlicca

Re: OT - for Supers - Rollers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »
We purchased one of these rollers last year and we are very pleased with it so far.   Easy to steer, good speed, and performs a great roll.   We also take pride in our greens and roll quite often (4-5 times a week).   

MClutterbuck

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 01:09:49 PM »
We purchased one of these rollers last year and we are very pleased with it so far.   Easy to steer, good speed, and performs a great roll.   We also take pride in our greens and roll quite often (4-5 times a week).

Peter, thank you for your input. Do you use other rollers as well or is this the only model you now use? If you use another brand at the same time on different greens, do you note any difference between greens rolled by the different rollers?

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:11:28 PM »
Yes we use a tru turf roller also.   We send both out in the morning and leap frog and there isn't a difference at all on the greens. 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 05:59:34 AM »

Toro's roller is the old Green Iron rollers. New stickers and paint.

I have always been a fan of salscos. They are heavy enough to smooth the surface after aerification, you can add a brush to them to work in topdressing and great for daily use.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

MClutterbuck

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 09:14:18 AM »
Yes we use a tru turf roller also.   We send both out in the morning and leap frog and there isn't a difference at all on the greens.

Thanks!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 09:15:06 AM »

Toro's roller is the old Green Iron rollers. New stickers and paint.

I have always been a fan of salscos. They are heavy enough to smooth the surface after aerification, you can add a brush to them to work in topdressing and great for daily use.

You point to our main concern, Toro not being heavy enough post aerification.

Brian Chapin

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
The salsco roller has a dual drive system that provides much better traction that the Toro machine. Even if the rollers do slip, the smooth steel rollers cause a lot less damage than the single vulcanized rubber traction drum on the Toro machine.

The weight of the two machines is actually a bit deceiving. According to the specs, the Toro machine outweighs the Salsco by almost 90 lbs. (I'm talking the standard Salsco Roller, not the Roll and Go). However, the Salsco has a heavier PSI across the rollers (4.2 vs 3.75), which is why it performs better for aeration purposes. The Roll and Go is even more of a difference at 10.2 PSI, though I personally think it's a bit too heavy and I've seen creasing occur if the greens are soft or wet.

The other downside to Toro machine is that the traction drum is only 30" long while the total rolling width is 47". That makes for a weird weight distribution that in my mind would result in a less consistent putting surface.

Hope that helps

CStrange

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
I've been using the Toro 1240 for 2 seasons now and love it.  It might be my favorite piece of equipment.  We roll 18 greens every day with one machine about 5 months a year.  It is much faster than a Salsco and one machine stays ahead of play no problem.  Traction is not an issue as long as the traction roller is on the downhill side.  I have 2 greens with crazy 25% slopes(Engh) and it rolls up and down them no problem.  The Toro roller is actually the improved version of the Graden Roller and having had 2 Gradens berfore our 2 Salsco's at my previous track I will tell you Toro has made significant improvements on the unit.  I would not wish the Graden Rollers on anyone.  Anecdotally I feel the traction roller does pick up more sand after topdressing than I experienced with Salsco.  As far as rolling after aerification perception is reality but I doubt there is a real difference between the 2 machines, just put the fat guy on it if you need more weight.  If you can pick one up for 1/2 of a Salsco I wouldn't think twice to do it.

Cheers,

Chris
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:42:01 PM by CStrange »

RDecker

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
The salsco rollers are a bit of a trick to get on and off their trailers, the Toro and Tru Turf are both equipped with an integrated trailer which is handy when you roll 3 or 4 times a week.  The Toro is getting very popular in the Northeast, as the Tru turf has been for several years now.  Frank Rossi at Cornell has done a study on the effect of the various rollers and I'm sure his findings are available out there in cyberspace.  I have had excellent results with the Tru turf for my own course and when I demoed the the salsco I thought the machine handled well and was well made however the trailer thing didn't strike me as something I'd want to do, or ask other staff members to do frequently and in wet conditions especially.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »
The salsco roller has a dual drive system that provides much better traction that the Toro machine. Even if the rollers do slip, the smooth steel rollers cause a lot less damage than the single vulcanized rubber traction drum on the Toro machine.

The weight of the two machines is actually a bit deceiving. According to the specs, the Toro machine outweighs the Salsco by almost 90 lbs. (I'm talking the standard Salsco Roller, not the Roll and Go). However, the Salsco has a heavier PSI across the rollers (4.2 vs 3.75), which is why it performs better for aeration purposes. The Roll and Go is even more of a difference at 10.2 PSI, though I personally think it's a bit too heavy and I've seen creasing occur if the greens are soft or wet.

The other downside to Toro machine is that the traction drum is only 30" long while the total rolling width is 47". That makes for a weird weight distribution that in my mind would result in a less consistent putting surface.

Hope that helps

Brian, thanks a lot!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
I've been using the Toro 1240 for 2 seasons now and love it.  It might be my favorite piece of equipment.  We roll 18 greens every day with one machine about 5 months a year.  It is much faster than a Salsco and one machine stays ahead of play no problem.  Traction is not an issue as long as the traction roller is on the downhill side.  I have 2 greens with crazy 25% slopes(Engh) and it rolls up and down them no problem.  The Toro roller is actually the improved version of the Graden Roller and having had 2 Gradens berfore our 2 Salsco's at my previous track I will tell you Toro has made significant improvements on the unit.  I would not wish the Graden Rollers on anyone.  Anecdotally I feel the traction roller does pick up more sand after topdressing than I experienced with Salsco.  As far as rolling after aerification perception is reality but I doubt there is a real difference between the 2 machines, just put the fat guy on it if you need more weight.  If you can pick one up for 1/2 of a Salsco I wouldn't think twice to do it.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, thanks a lot!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 08:19:43 PM »
The salsco rollers are a bit of a trick to get on and off their trailers, the Toro and Tru Turf are both equipped with an integrated trailer which is handy when you roll 3 or 4 times a week.  The Toro is getting very popular in the Northeast, as the Tru turf has been for several years now.  Frank Rossi at Cornell has done a study on the effect of the various rollers and I'm sure his findings are available out there in cyberspace.  I have had excellent results with the Tru turf for my own course and when I demoed the the salsco I thought the machine handled well and was well made however the trailer thing didn't strike me as something I'd want to do, or ask other staff members to do frequently and in wet conditions especially.

Thanks!

Justin VanLanduit

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »
We are in the process of replacing rollers at our club as well.  Currently we have 2 battery Salsco machines which have been a nightmare.  In my 8 years as Super here we've maybe had both machine operational at the same time 25% of the time; I know if I would have gone gas units vs electric.  We've also had some functionality issues with the machines and haven't received the best support from the manufacturer to deal with them; that was even while they were still under warranty.  We've looked at all the possible rollers on the market this past summer; leaning towards the Toro machine over the others.  A few reasons behind that is price (especially with needed 2 machines to stay ahead of play on weekends), speed of the machine (can send 1 guy out on weekdays and stay ahead if needed), lastly service behind the machine if needed.  I do like the weight like Tony said regarding the Salsco.  We will keep our old units and rehab 1 to use in such purposes like after aeration.  I just haven't had the best luck with the unit and the company so sour taste in my mouth.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 08:32:32 PM »
We use Salsco's...they have been excellent machines with zero issues.  I can't speak to the Toro roller, but we did have one of their new blowers and it was absolute crap. Small gas tank and broke down 90% of the time. We had it for maybe 60 days in the spring and finally said come and take it back. Bought another Buffalo Blower...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back