News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

OT. Making the case for pull/push carts.
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »
I need examples of clubs in the US that have policies, details of the policies--- times allowed and charges, for example, and the benefits that come from the policy.
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

Re: OT. Making the case for pull/push carts.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Mike -

Have you reviewed this thread?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62971.0.html

As far as I know, in Northern California the Cal Club, Lake Merced, Sonoma and Monterey Peninsula all provide 3-wheel trolleys at no charge at all times. The Olympic Club allows 3-wheelers on both courses but does charge a usage fee. 

DT
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:20:13 PM by David_Tepper »

Jason Thurman

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »
Thanks. I'll check them and if I need more info will come back
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
The second thread was great,thanks
AKA Mayday

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »
Our club offers them free of charge at all times.  The interesting trend recently is that people are starting to be encouraged to push them across greens when they are firm.  It avoids excessive wear around the edges of greens and is consistent with standard practice in Australia.

The practice makes perfect sense but I still do a double take when I see someone doing it. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »
Have a long term plan for remote control push carts. Mine has literally changed my golfing life.

BCowan

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
Have a long term plan for remote control push carts. Mine has literally changed my golfing life.

I think you are getting the Mrs acclimated to Scottish culture.  I think I see the genius of ur plan. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:12:20 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »

I saw a plan in action.  The guy with the remote control trolley hassled a golfer one time too many with his sheenanigans in the back swing.  Three holes later...remote control chucked in the water!  You seem just the sort of bloke that would have a bit of fun with his toy...beware.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 07:45:47 PM »

Sean,

I agree. It is best used when playing alone. I have only played in a group once and my remote died so I was manual mode mostly throughout.

I saw a plan in action.  The guy with the remote control trolley hassled a golfer one time too many with his sheenanigans in the back swing.  Three holes later...remote control chucked in the water!  You seem just the sort of bloke that would have a bit of fun with his toy...beware.

Ciao

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
Just do whatever you can to help the cheapskate over the member who might hire the kid who might carry and make 50 bucks.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »
Terry,

I think it makes most sense to allow only  during the times that one can walk and carry.

I think the biggest challenge to a caddy program is those who take carts not those who want to walk.
AKA Mayday

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 06:29:48 AM »
The Country Club of Buffalo has the most solid caddie program in Buffalo-Niagara, and does not allow push carts ever. This includes members and guests, seniors, middles and youth. I admire their dedication to their caddie program. I don't have metrics on carts vs. caddie vs. carry.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »
Mayday,

I'll email u a letter I co wrote from The walking golfers society in an attempt to get trolleys passed at a Detroit club with caddies. It was for non caddie times.  Although we lost this battle, it might help you in ur quest for reason in a world where people live in bubbles.

2 biggies, image "looks muni" and GM scared of loss of revenue.  They need cart revenue to make up for all the red the clubhouse consumes.

Our wealthiest club in Detroit let's their members use them for free in non summer or caddie times.  Another high end club charges $20 for trolley and $30 for a cart.  Trolleys can be used only when caddie isn't available. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
The Country Club of Buffalo has the most solid caddie program in Buffalo-Niagara, and does not allow push carts ever. This includes members and guests, seniors, middles and youth. I admire their dedication to their caddie program. I don't have metrics on carts vs. caddie vs. carry.

Do they allow riding at all times?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
Just do whatever you can to help the cheapskate over the member who might hire the kid who might carry and make 50 bucks.

Terry-
What percentage of rounds do you play where you pay $50 to a kid caddie?  At every course I know in DC, at least, that's basically never an option. 

Greg Clark

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
What percentage of clubs in the US even have a caddie program?  It has to be way less than 50% does it not?

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 11:24:32 AM »
What percentage of clubs in the US even have a caddie program?  It has to be way less than 50% does it not?

It is very small as a percentage based on just north of 15,000 US courses. I would be surprised if there were 750 caddie programs which is less than 5% of the total.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
Making the case for pull/push carts...

More options for play equals more golfers playing more golf.  More golfers playing more golf equals more food and beverage sales, more pro shop sales, and more guest fees.

Can be made revenue-neutral vs requiring a cart on weekend mornings by simply charging a "trail fee" based on the approximated profit margin on a cart rental. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Rob Marshall

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »

This IMO just increases the perspective that golf is a game for the wealthy and elite. Every round you play is going to cost an additional $80. Makes no sense to me. Aronamink was the same when I played there a few times. I enjoy taking a caddie but wouldn't want to be paying for it every round.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

SL_Solow

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 09:33:08 PM »
We have a strong caddy program; Chicago area.  Majority of rounds are walk with caddy.  If no caddies are available we allow pull/push carts provided by club or walk and carry.  Carts allowed at all times, course conditions permitting, but never required.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
We have a strong caddy program; Chicago area.  Majority of rounds are walk with caddy.  If no caddies are available we allow pull/push carts provided by club or walk and carry.  Carts allowed at all times, course conditions permitting, but never required.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the typical caddie fee? 

SL_Solow

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 01:41:30 PM »
Depends on age and experience.  35 - 80 range.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »

And, some wonder why golf is starving for a new generation of players.  ::)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »

I would think 1%, and that's who they are for.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back