News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Byron

Played Ferry Point last week
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »
Wanted to get out there while the season was still decent here, and last week was perfect. Played the last round in the afternoon and we were lucky to paired up with a young pro.  The course is quite special and unique in several respects, principally that it oversees Manhattan and the Whitestone Bridge over the East River, and also that it is an attempt, at least, to imitate a links course. Hence quite playable (the rough grass had been clipped luckily), decent greens, and attractive tee shots an second shot selections. Quite unique as a muni. We walked of course, and I wished it would be all walked.  As a NYC resident, my greens fee was affordable.   
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

RussBaribault

Re: Played Ferry Point last week
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »
Very Nice. Any Photos?
“Greatness courts failure, Romeo.”

“You may be right boss, but you know what, sometimes par is good enough to win”

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
With a daughter who just moved relocated to Brooklyn -- we live in rural Connecticut -- I've driven past it a dozen times in the past 6 months, so I'm curious.

1)  How firm were the fairways & greens?  The drought had been intense until recently.
2)  Do the greens have much contour?
3)  How windy was it, and how wide are the fairways?  It looks so exposed that wide fairways would be a must, but you never know.
4)  How many of the 18 holes would you consider interesting from an architecture/strategy standpoint?  Would you remember many of them a month or two later?
5)  Were there any signature unnatural touches -- in the faux-waterfall, oversized- fountain, or island-green category?

Thanks.  And there's no need to make a recommendation.  With a tight budget and a wife who is half Canadian, I'd much prefer to spend my annual golf fun-money at Cabot.

Jon Byron

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »
I do have pics, but I am not sure how I can post them. Yes the fairways & greens were sufficiently firm, I just wish approach areas are firmer (e.g putt versus chip) but they are quite playable. The greens have decent amount of contour, sufficient to choose several pin positions, which is common for Nicklaus. When we played, it was at least a 1 club wind, quite pleasant, and the fairways benefited from the rough having been trimmed.  I think the back tournament tees will make the fairways quite challenging target on several holes. Of the 18, at least in one round, at least half or more are memorable. There are several holes memorable from the tee box, and several from the approach shot - for example, the 18th hole. The only unnatural visual feature would be some of the boundaries to the terrain, as the course is essentially a just landfill in the Bronx.

Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
Thank you, Jon.  As I said, I'm not in the market, but now when I cross the Whitestone I'll have something to think about besides which lane I'm supposed to be in.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »
I played it about 6 months before the official opening the greens certainly have a lot of contour and I found them fairly difficult to read. There were no signature unnatural touches to the golf course at, other than the fact that you are playing a faux links course next to the Whitestone Bridge.  I wouldn't call say that any particular hole is outstanding and you will truly remember it months later, but there are bunch of good holes, overall its a fun golf course and unique experience. I felt like the course could use another 5 acres or so to make the hole to hole routing smoother.  I describe the golf course to people as Bayonne light.[/size][/font]

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 12:28:49 AM »
  Hence quite playable (the rough grass had been clipped luckily

So you are saying a fellow could actually find his ball, unlike a certain place we know.... ;D ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back