News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Glenisla: Another one bites the dust
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »
Alyth, a town which some might remember featured largely in last year's 'hilarity', experienced quite the golf boom in the eighties and nineties with the addition of three new courses to its existing OTM/Braid beauty, Alyth Golf Club.
Sadly, it appears the position is now untenable:

http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/glenisla-golf-course-to-close-this-month

Glenisla was a good idea. Built by the local ski chairlift company to keep their staff and resources occupied in the summer months, it was a fun, if slightly unremarkable, course with a nice clubhouse, catering and friendly staff.
Along with the other three, it made for a fun weekend away in the highlands(ish) for wee groups of golfers.

We'll see if the remaining two can withstand the state of the market.

I'm really struggling to see how any developer would think it would be a good idea to build a course in Scotland right now. Be interesting to see how the current proposals for those few in progress turn out.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Colin Shellard

Re: Glenisla: Another one bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:36:45 AM »
I spotted this yesterday as well. Played there a good few years ago - think you summed it up perfectly Marty, fun and good for an outing - you'd play it if in the area (as I was) don't remember any particular holes so probably ranks as a 3 on the Doak scale.

Still not a good sign for golf in Scotland as you say - makes you wonder about the viability of the new proposed courses around Aberdeen, especially in light of the current crisis in the oil industry. Although of course by the time they are finished the situation could be different.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
It seems to me it was built for the wrong reasons (job creation) and in the wrong place with no demand for a further facility. The fact that it went bust in the boom years would suggest that this current closing of the course is not due to the current financial situation but that fact the course as a business was never going. Too much initial outlay meaning to much debt on the books plus lack of potential market was the cause of this demise in my opinion. That a course is sold off for building development is also nothing new as it has being going decades and often it is financially sound clubs that choose to do this.

If the developers have done their homework properly then there is no reason why a new course should not succeed.

Jon

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 02:56:46 AM »
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/golf/296535/comment-glenisla-closure-perfect-example-development-scottish-golf/

Comment: Glenisla closure a perfect example of over-development in Scottish golf
by Steve Scott
October 7 2016

After it was revealed this week that Glenisla Golf Course is to close and the land used for housing, Courier sports writer Steve Scott examines what it says about the health of other clubs in the area.

It’s not surprising that Glenisla is the latest Scottish golf club to sell up for housing or turn back to farmland; the surprise is that there’s still been so few.

There’s one golf course for every 9,800 of population in Scotland, by far the greatest saturation of the game anywhere in the world. There was already an over-provision of facilities before the course-building boom of the 1990s.

You could even argue this was a perfect example of development getting far ahead of demand from that era. Glenisla and the much more successful Strathmore Golf Centre nearby (which has two courses) were both built in the boom.

With the long-established Alyth Golf Club, it meant there were now four courses within a five-mile radius of a small Perthshire town. There’s also Blairgowrie, one of Scotland’s biggest membership clubs with three courses of its own, just eight miles away.

The last 20 years has seen golf club membership drop steadily at around 3% a year. New developments have dwindled; the ambitious GWest project in Perthshire was mothballed until this year, while other high-profile proposals with big-name designers at Kingennie (Darren Clarke), Stonehaven (Jack Nicklaus) and St Andrews (Tom Weiskopf) have struggled to get started.

In such a climate it speaks volumes for the resilience of ordinary clubs that we’ve lost just 10 or so facilities nationwide during this membership slump, which the R&A and Scottish Golf believe is now finally bottoming out. Clubs have survived, but many continue to struggle.

In the 1990s a golf course was almost a compulsory part of housing developers’ plans. Now they’d rather just build over the top of them.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 05:25:01 AM »
Played there once about fifteen years ago and am struggling to form a single mental image beyond the rather good finishing hole played diagonally over a wide burn. Even a scout on google earth hasn't helped.

There were clearly far too many middling courses created around this time and it is no surprise to see this deeply rural one go to the wall, along with other north-east courses like East Aberdeenshire, Inchmarlo and Fyvie. I'm always saddened to read of another course closing, but fear we're still at the thin end of the wedge.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:33:25 AM »
Like others I've played it but can barely remember any details of the course. However I'd hesitate to suggest that this is a true barometer of the state of golf in either Alyth or Scotland in general as the course was commercially run and it seems that the owners have simply made the commercial decision to sell for a higher value use. If it was a members club and they couldn't get enough members to sustain it as has happened elsewhere then that would be more worrying.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 03:38:45 AM »
There were clearly far too many middling courses created around this time and it is no surprise to see this deeply rural one go to the wall, along with other north-east courses like East Aberdeenshire, Inchmarlo and Fyvie.

Inchmarlo's 9 holer still exists, and is owned by Paul Lawrie.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
...but the marquee 18-hole course is toast.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Colin Shellard

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
There were clearly far too many middling courses created around this time and it is no surprise to see this deeply rural one go to the wall, along with other north-east courses like East Aberdeenshire, Inchmarlo and Fyvie. I'm always saddened to read of another course closing, but fear we're still at the thin end of the wedge.

I have to say I was never surprised about East Aberdeenshire - it does rank up there as one of the weakest courses I ever played - I would possibly give it a Doak 1! I think it was only kept afloat due to the hard work and effort they put into running golf leagues at the range in the winter, got traffic in there and through the club house afterwards.

I think the fact that Paul Lawrie has invested in 2 golf facilities in Aberdeenshire with 9 hole courses and ranges, rather than 18 holes, shoes where the money is to be made. That said both facilities are excellent, the 9 hole courses are a joy to play (the Inchmarlo one in particular) and an excellent play to introduce your kids to the sport.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/alyth-golf-club-offers-hope-to-glenisla

Alyth Golf Club offers hope to Glenisla
By Martin Inglis on November 15, 2016

Alyth Golf Club has stepped in to take on nine holes of neighbouring Glenisla Golf Course, bunkered.co.uk has learned.

Glenisla, which had around 150 members, was sold to housing developers in late September and closed ‘for good’ on October 31 – with its dozen staff ‘absolutely devastated’ at the news.

After being approached by owners Glenisla Development Ltd, Alyth is expected to sign a one-year lease with a view to an extension if everything is working out within the next two to three days.

The course will be known as the Glenisla Course at Alyth Golf Club and could be open as soon as this weekend.

“The developers approached us and offered us the back nine of Glenisla, which is probably the more picturesque nine that runs adjacent to our clubhouse,” Alyth marketing convener Dave Barclay told bunkered.co.uk.

“We’re bucking the trend in that we’re taking on another nine holes where across the country we’re seeing courses closing. It ticks a lot of boxes for us and it ties in with Scottish Golf and their drive for more nine-hole golf.”[size=78%]y[/size]

“It gives us nine-hole, 18-hole and 27-hole membership options and gives us the opportunity to explore different formats. We’ve attracted a lot of members from Glenisla, while some have already registered an interest in a nine-hole membership for the Glenisla Course.”

Glenisla opened in 1995 and was designed by Tony Wardle, a golf course architect who has worked alongside the likes of Robert Trent Jones and Jack Nicklaus.

Developed originally by the Glenshee Chairlift Company as a summer business to make use of its full-time ski employees during the off-season, it was bought out of receivership by the Somerville family in 2004.

In 2014, it was recognised for its value for money at the Scottish Golf Tourism Awards and the widespread public interest in the course when its closure was announced also had a sizeable impact on Alyth’s decision.

“I run a local business in the town and over the past couple of months I’ve known people who have paid a visit to Glenisla just for a sentimental final 18 holes,” added Dave.

“So we knew it was still very marketable. From there, we spoke to one of the new owners and thrashed out a deal, which we’ll be signing in the next few days.”

As a result, Alyth also now has a vacancy for a full-time greenkeeper. The club is working on new packages but, if you’re keen to play in the near future, golfers are being advised to call Alyth on 01828 632268.

Meanwhile, the Piperdam Golf & Leisure Resort near Dundee (above) has been sold in a £25m funding package to Coppergreen Developments Ltd, a progressive UK holiday park operator.

Piperdam is considered one of Scotland’s premier leisure resorts offering 77 high quality holiday lodges, 27 holes of championship golf and an outstanding wedding and conference venue.

“We are really excited by this acquisition” – David Copley

David Copley, CEO at Coppergreen Developments Ltd, added: “We are really excited by this acquisition and look forward to continuing the high standards of the business at Piperdam.

“We are focused on thoughtfully and sensitively expanding the site so that even more holidaymakers can enjoy first-class accommodation in beautiful surroundings.”

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »
That's great news, Brian. I love Alyth and this will be a nice addition to the club. Best wishes to them.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back