News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Abramson

Re: Bells Used on Blind Holes
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »
I had forgotten about this one on  #12 at Yale

[size=78%]Yale #12 ringing the bell [/size]
[/url]

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 07:01:07 AM »
This one at the Wallkill muni in Orange County, NY  even comes with instructions

Wallkill #16 par 5 bell 168

Matt MacIver

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 07:10:08 AM »
Tobacco Road mush have six-seven -- too many for some of my playing partners who found fault with too much blindness.

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
I believe Ravisloe 8th has a bell.  washtenaw has a light on the 18th tee.  u turn it on or off from tee and at bottom of the hole.  this works best for the easily annoyed golfer.  does any course have this feature?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 06:16:36 PM »
Video camera and screen what tosh. Tradition is surely a periscope ;D

Jon with the concept of submarines around 100 years old, I'm sure periscopes are a new fangled idea to old courses!
Cave Nil Vino

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »
Appreciate all the responses so far.  My favorites to this point are (some I found on my own....that google thing is pretty useful):

Tobacco Road
Old Macdonald
Ballyliffin

Ideally a wood base to attach the bell to seems the most "natural". 

Joey Chase

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2016, 03:41:51 AM »
Another one from behind the third green at Aberdovey.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »
#7 at Otterkill CC in Campbell Hall NY has a bell. If it's not too cold tomorrow I'll go up there and take a photo.

Otterkill #7 bell

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2016, 06:48:21 PM »
Orinda CC (1924) has a bell adjacent to the 1st green.  Works well.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bill Seitz

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »
Ravisloe recently (within the last couple years) added bells on #s 8 and 17. 

SL_Solow

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 11:56:52 AM »
It has been many years but Putterham Meadows in Brookline Mass had at least  one hole with a bell and another with a periscope.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 12:29:06 PM »
The length of rope/chain to ring the bell can sometimes be quite long. Brian mentioned Cruden Bay above where on the 15th the bell pull and the actual bell itself are a significant distance apart. Any others operate at such a distance?
Atb

Carl Johnson

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
The length of rope/chain to ring the bell can sometimes be quite long. Brian mentioned Cruden Bay above where on the 15th the bell pull and the actual bell itself are a significant distance apart. Any others operate at such a distance?
Atb

For what it's worth, about 15 years ago one of my law partners and playing companions at Cruden Bay, who's a single digit, yanked his drive up left and it landed on the little "platform" area where the bell is located.  From there it was a nice drop shot to the green.  At least that's how I remember it.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
I think there is a bell near the 7th green at Machrihanish to indicate green is clear.

Also, I'm quite sure there is a bell somewhere (#4?) at Formby.

PCCraig

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »
Brad,

We installed two this past year at T&C. One on the 7th tee for golfers on the 6th fairway who can't see the green on their approach, and another after the 15th green which sits well below the approaching fairway (if you are more than 100 yards out, you can't see the green).

To be honest, they have received somewhat mixed reviews. Some think they are neat, some people ignore them, and some think it's stupid. To be fair, many who find them to be unnecessary ride in carts most of the time.

I think they are a neat and inexpensive addition. I think each bell cost $100-$150 to set up. Not really a huge financial risk to the club!?

I will find a picture of the bell and forward your way.
H.P.S.

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
Brad,

We installed two this past year at T&C. One on the 7th tee for golfers on the 6th fairway who can't see the green on their approach, and another after the 15th green which sits well below the approaching fairway (if you are more than 100 yards out, you can't see the green).

To be honest, they have received somewhat mixed reviews. Some think they are neat, some people ignore them, and some think it's stupid. To be fair, many who find them to be unnecessary ride in carts most of the time.

I think they are a neat and inexpensive addition. I think each bell cost $100-$150 to set up. Not really a huge financial risk to the club!?

I will find a picture of the bell and forward your way.

I imagine the same people that find them stupid at your club are the same people that would prefer a tacky video monitor at mine...

Howard Riefs

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
5th hole at Sankaty Head.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2016, 04:29:57 PM »
All that remains of the #7 Dell hole at Erin Hills....

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »
Portsalon #14, a downhill dogleg right with a blind landing area. Wish I had a better photo of the bell

Portsalon #14

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »
Here's a few bell shots:

16th at Old Macdonald:

3rd at Yale:

12th at Yale:

12th at Ekwanok:

3rd at National Golf Links:

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Morgan Stephenson

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 09:02:09 AM »
We use farm bells mounted on railroad crossties at Tobacco Road.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:07 AM »
I rang the bell in one of the fairways (the 7th, I think) at Greywalls: http://https://www.instagram.com/p/BJK9CdwBIfJ/?taken-by=timgavrich
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Neil Davis

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 10:15:16 AM »
One suggestion when installing--put the bell higher than at head level.  If not you blow your ear drums out every time you ring it as you go by. 

Phil Lipper

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »

The only really memorable bell is at Pete Dye in West Virginia.There is bell on a hole on the backside with a plaque that says please ring this bell for my father who's only love greater than golf was his family may he rest in peace, Pete Dye. I'm going by memory but I thinks that pretty close.

BHoover

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »
Better than a bell (although I agree the bell at Pete Dye GC is a good one) is the course in the UK that uses an old submarine periscope on the first tee. I'd love for my course to have one of those!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back