News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

I am in the process of planning an Ireland trip with my father for next fall.  During our stay, we are scheduled to play Lahinch in the morning but will have time to play another round that day.  The question is:  do we go round again at Lahinch or drive down to play Doonbeg?  Due to our schedule, we won't have the opportunity to play either on a different day.

Is Doonbeg worth seeing over a second round at Lahinch?  (Politics aside!)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jason Topp

I have not seen the most recent version of Doonbeg but a 36 hole day at Lahinch is one of the best days of golf one can possibly experience. 

Chris_Hufnagel

I haven't played Doonbeg, but was in Ireland last year.  We had 36-hole days at Ballybunion, County Down and Portrush - playing those courses twice was such a treat and my memories of them are much brighter with two go-arounds.  We only played Lahinch once unfortunately, based on our itinerary, and I'm really sorry I only had that one round through - there is so much to see there. Additionally, there is a really wonderful looking "pitch and putt" just up the road from Lahinch that I would have loved to play - I don't know the whole story behind it, but it looked like a fun place to spend an hour.  Finally, make sure to take the time to drive up and see the Cliffs of Mohrer...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:59:55 PM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Thomas Dai

Not wishing to compare courses or suggest other courses or locations etc but isn't there a second 18-hole course at Lahinch? Often second courses can be surprisingly nice. Anyone played it? What's it like? Just curious.

Atb

Ed Brzezowski

Lahinch , played it in July. Lahinch was busy Doonbeg was not.

Locals told us there is no comparison between the two. I cannot imagine Doonbeg being as good as Lahinch.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

john_stiles

As above, based on my play at the older Doonbeg, I would do  36 at the Old Course Lahinch.

Never crossed the street to play or see the 18 hole Castle course.

Stay in or near Lahinch, and have a nice leisurely day. Agree that a second go helps in all regards.

Jay Mickle

As above, based on my play at the older Doonbeg, I would do  36 at the Old Course Lahinch.
Stay in or near Lahinch, and have a nice leisurely day. Agree that a second go helps in all regards.

+1
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jim Tang

George -

I would gladly spend time at either.  Doonbeg is certainly going to offer you a more resort, Americanized experience.  It is visually spectacular and I enjoyed my two rounds there, immensely. 

However, if I was in your shoes, I'd spend two rounds at Lahinch.  There is so much to see and experience and you will pick more up with a second round.  The land is fantastic, heaving and rolling.  The setting along the sea is dramatic.  It is a very special place.

mike_malone

Playing two rounds at Lahinch will imprint a great course in your brain forever.
AKA Mayday

Bart Bradley

Play 2 rounds Lahinch Old. 

Played Castle course 1x.  Never again. Not worth any of your time.

Charles Lund

Re: Semi OT - Soliciting Advice: Two rounds at Lahinch or split with Doonbeg?
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 02:37:42 AM »
Lahinch x 2.

Charles Lund

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 06:07:17 AM »
I haven't been to Doonbeg but would advocate for Lahinch times two. An incredible golf course and experience.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
Lahinch for the quality of golf, but Doonbeg has fantastic accommodations if you don't mind a high price tag and enriching the President-Elect.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »

Play Doonbeg - yes Lahinch is worth two trips around - but play Doonbeg too see and evaluate the choices made.
If you're into architecture - its worth seeing a great site with some confusing choices.

There are many wonderful holes worth seeing and playing - and some spectacular head scratching moments too :  )
I enjoyed the experience - and would go back - I found it kind of fun.

how can you make a recommendation when you've never seen a course?
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 08:10:36 PM »
George- I've played Lahinch about 8 times and Doonbeg twice. Lahinch is obviously one of the best courses in the world. That being said Doonbeg is pretty good. A couple of quirky holes but it's a strong 6-6.5 IMO . The drive between the courses is fairly simple as well. I would pass on staying there as it is very pricey. Stay in Ennis where you have good restaurant and lodging options .

Will Lozier

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »
I have not seen the most recent version of Doonbeg but a 36 hole day at Lahinch is one of the best days of golf one can possibly experience.

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Bolls

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 12:14:37 AM »
In a case like this I would almost always go for the "play them both" option.  Lahinch is a fabulous course with many interesting holes - but, so is Doonbeg.  I think Greg Norman took advantage of a great piece of land and created a challenging course.  I loved playing them both and recommend you would also.

Dan Moore

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »

As Ian noted Doonbeg has some worthy architectural features but also some odd holes as well.

I played both on my last trip and if given the choice again I'd play Lahinch twice. 

And just as important IMHO is the fact you should make a side trip up the road from Lahinch to Doolin for several pubs specializing in great Irish music. 

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 02:38:59 PM »
George,

Lahinch is one of the few courses in the world that can be described as heaven. So, to me, without a doubt, the correct answer is Lahinch twice.

I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge being one of the earliest critics of Doonbeg going back before the course was even built. The marketing hype that the British Army actually thought Doonbeg was a better place to build a golf course than Lahinch was just that: marketing hype. The property just wasn't that good and, IMO, the Norman team struggled to make sense of it as a golf course that would be enjoyable to play.

That said, I have some sympathy for Ian Andrews comments. If you want to visit Doonbeg to study golf architecture, that probably makes sense.

But, if you just want to enjoy real Irish golf, Lahinch wins by a wide margin.

Tim Weiman

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 04:22:13 PM »
Interesting comments all.

The easy answer is 36 at both! As a Lahinch member, I must admit to being biased so would recommend on first pass the 36 holes at Lahinch. This is not just based on the quality of the course, but also its nature. With the dune land & blind shots, there is a risk that you would miss a trick on your first go around (like RCD, unlike Portmarnock say).

That said, I have to give weight to Ian's recommendation to see both as I do think Doonbeg is worth seeing (pretty epic dunes, tougher to route a course due to that damn snail!). Not seen the recent changes from Hawtree though, but the original Norman incarnation was a solid track.

I'd probably ask if this is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip or not as that would guide the answer too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back