News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Happy 160th birthday, Charles Blair Macdonald!
« on: November 15, 2015, 06:56:55 AM »
How would the world of golf be different without him? That thought experiment is the measure of his contributions.

Proud to have gotten a few entries approved for the Charles Blair Macdonald Timeline Project: www.cbmacdonald.com.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Happy 160th birthday, Charles Blair Macdonald!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »
Thanks, Mark.
On that thread about personal narratives, I wondered if CBM's essentially 'dual citizenship' fostered a self-understanding as a bridge builder that shaped his designs. Now I read on the timeline that as a 19-20 year old, he was designated publicly as a "real golfer"  -- teaming up with no less than Young Tom Morris and competing on no less than The Old Course.  I'm thinking: if THAT doesn't provide a young man with a sense of "destiny", nothing will.
Peter

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:08:57 AM »
 8)  Would love to nip out to Old McDonald to celebrate, or perhaps offer a toast to Ol' CB out on the veranda at Ballyshears, hmmm I wonder if the Mayor would let us in there at 119 White's Lane?

I suspect CB would still be very proud of NGLA and what he accomplished in his time!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Salmen

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »
I visited his final resting place recently.  I think he would be happy how his courses have stood the test of time.  He'd probably be impressed at driving distances and green speeds

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
Mark:

Didn't see the following on the timeline.  Perhaps you can get it approved as well.

From the Feb. 6, 1898 edition of the New York Tribune, indicating just how long the gestation period was for his "ideal course."

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Dan Moore

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 11:43:18 PM »

Another CBM reference in his own words to ideal courses.  November 1895.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Scott Weersing

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 06:26:55 PM »
Happy Birthday to CB Macdonald!

I hope to play more of his courses in the next year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back