News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Mid Pines vs Dormie
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
DC's 10th has been and remains a problem hole. The length isn't the problem - I have seen the green reached with two shots. The problem is the wetland - it extends too far across the fairway. The original design was altered by direction of the County which insisted that the protected wetland needed to be extended more to the right. After that was done at considerable expense the decision was reversed. A modification was planned years ago but cost prevents it from being implemented. I think there's plenty of ground around the principal's nose bunkers. I think Ron's distances are a little off. From the left of the fairway after a 265 yd drive, the carry over the wetlands is about 170 and from the back of the principal's nose bunker it's about 160 to the green - which readily accepts a running shot.

Well that's no problem - as long as you hit a 265-yard drive.  If you hit it 230 like me, you've got 205 all carry, and that's the problem.  [I don't know what tee we are talking about here, but if we're not talking about the back tee, we shouldn't be assuming 265-yard drives.]

Also, re the "cost", how much would it take to make the modification proposed?  Filling a portion of the wetlands and putting in irrigation to maintain it shouldn't be a six-figure bill.  I understand they are struggling but if this hole is really half as much a problem as it's made out to be here, it would be worth it to make the fix.  Maybe they could get 50-100 panelists to chip in and get it done  :)

Sean_A

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
I agree about the 2nd shot on Dormie's 10th. After a good drive, but just in the right rough (thankfully after seeing the disaster that awaited blind left) I had a 7 wood to get right of the P's N (didn't try to carry it because I thought I could pull the second back into the wetlands).  I was very surprised by the tough combination of shots and it wasn't from back tees.  As I thought, Craig confirmed that something went astray in the build stage.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
Craig pointed out that the green accepts a running shot to a green which is very wide and open in the front so when it is playing firm and fast 160 yards can play as little as 120 yards depending upon the type of shot played.  I have some recollection that the green runs away from you.  The last time I played it I was around 180 from the green and I would up closer to a front hole location than a friend who was 120 yards out and tried to hit a high wedge and hold it. 

Ross Harmon

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »
Mid Pines is definitely the better course. Played it and Old Town back to back for the first times last month - you're in for a real treat!!

JC Jones

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2016, 12:01:52 AM »
Each has their own flaws.  Dormie is too much a right-to-left course and the holes in the middle of the course are just not good.  MidPines has a couple terrible holes as well (3 & 5).  However, the work at Mid Pines coupled with the conditions in the off season has me playing there any day over Dormie.  Not to mention the chili dog and Budweiser combo at the halfway house is almost enough to have me travel there right now.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Sean_A

« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2016, 03:27:22 AM »
This thread exemplifies why rankings can be so polarizing and/or how easy it is to "get it wrong".

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2016, 05:37:34 AM »
Absolute truth. If somewhat, like-minded thinkers like this brigade can a have a tussle of this length, it's understandable that diverse judges will be much farther apart.

This thread exemplifies why rankings can be so polarizing and/or how easy it is to "get it wrong".

This for me is a huge point, and one that I rarely recognize until A) a playing partner points it out; or B) the round has ended. My unfair demand is to ask a hole to allow shots to be played with either arc. Never a fan of left-side or right-side trees that restrict a trace.

Each has their own flaws.  Dormie is too much a right-to-left course and the holes in the middle of the course are just not good. 
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
It's odd, I really prefer the Mid Pines more as a course, but looking at individual holes Dormie comes out on top a lot.

Par 3's

Dormie 16 - Dormie 12 - Dormie 7 - MP 13 - MP 11 - MP 2 - MP 8 - Dormie 9

Par 5's

Dormie 17 - MP 15 - Dormie 6 - MP 5 - MP 4 - MP 10 - Dormie 10

Par 4's

MP 4 - Dormie 4 - Dormie 3 - MP 14 - MP 1 - Dormie 8 - MP 12 - Dormie 13 - MP 16 - MP 17 - Dormie 14 - Dormie 15 - Dormie 1 - Dormie 2 - MP 17 - MP 18 - MP 7 - MP 9 - Dormie 11 - Dormie 18 - MP 3
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:37:20 PM by Andrew Buck »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back