News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

A brief aside - Architects do have their traits
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »
When I did my Eclectic 18-Homage to Sean Arble I was only able to use one hole from Cavendish, the 3rd. But in Sean's current match-play series, he highlighted another one of my favourites, the 14th.

On a fairly flat part of the site, Dr. Mackenzie crafted what looks to be a wonderful Par 5 - a dog-leg left that utilizes a lovely yet daunting field stone fence/wall (and out of bounds) running the entire length of the left side and a perched/sloping-false front green. And, while there are many differences I know, it struck me that in "feel" the 14th at Cavendish reminded me of Dr Mac's 8th at Crystal Downs. I thought: i) in both cases, what wonderful uses he made of the land as he found it, and ii) he obviously 'saw' these types of holes in his mind's eye, and in a unique way.  I may be overstating it (and/or betraying my lack of experience/insight), but I can't think of another architect who would've used that stone wall in that way and created such an elegant and lovely Par 5 at that site. It's a way of seeing, I think, a tendency, a *trait*.   Architects have different training and intentions and associates and land and clients and principles and styles etc, but I think what might separate architects the most is their individual *ways of seeing*.

Peter     
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:43:06 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back