News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

New Years Eve - Scotland or Ireland
« on: October 20, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
I'm getting some pressure to take my daughter somewhere over NYE on her trip back to Australia after Christmas. My first thought was to go to St. Andrews and hang with my new caddie buds and possible catch a round or two. Has anyone done such a thing or are there any better options not bordering on insanity? I don't want to sit on a plane over 8 hrs from New York and would prefer to go where we are the only tourists.

Sean Ogle

Re: New Years Eve - Scotland or Ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
I'll be in Ireland over new years :)

There for a wedding, but hoping to get at least one round of golf in, even if the weather is going to be miserable....

Keith Grande

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
New Year's is a Sunday so Old Course probably closed...and the mats...

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
St. Andrews will be dead (except for the locals), although New Years Day (like Christmas Day) is good to snag a freebie around the Old!

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »
New Year's Eve (aka Hogmanay) is a big holiday celebration in Scotland:

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/events/christmas-winter-festivals/hogmanay/

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »
What would define a good trip for your daughter? Is she a golf nut? If she's looking for a broader experience and Ireland + Scotland are the sum total of your consideration, what about Dublin? Temple Bar + Portmarnock and The Island for the 2 hours of daylight you'll have.

If you can get past Ireland and Scotland, there's also Amsterdam -- train/taxi to places like Kennemer and Noordwijkse. Under the terms of my promotional contract I'm required to mention the nude beach near the latter's clubhouse. Should be totally lit in late Dec.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
Scotland is a no-brainer as all the Irish will still be hung over from St. Patrick's day and be of no use at all.  Scotland also has the advantage of having its own word for New Year's Eve, "Hogmanay."  Edinburgh is the place to be, but nobody goes there any more because it is too popular.  It's Times Square with more people and without the neon.

If you really want to come over then, go to Dornoch.  I first went there and then in 1982, and am still recovering.

As a bonus, if you can stay awake in the 4-5 hour window of sunlight, you might get to play one of the finest courses in the world, without any Perry Tour buses clogging up the club carpark and the main street.......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »
We spent New Years in Moffat, which is right over the English border. We drove through the burning wreckage of the downed Pan Am flight in the next village south, Lockerbie. Hogmanay is a big deal and should you bring a nice bottle of single malt out to the town square to watch the pipers ring in the New a Year you will be a popular fellow.   Everyone should spend one New Years Eve in Scotland, being with friends who are locals makes it better.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »
My first New Year with my now wife was spent in Salen, on Ardnamurchan Point, which is the westernmost point of mainland Scotland.  After being first footed (look it up) we followed the crowd to the local doctor's house.  Everyone in the village was there, each having brought with them a bottle of scotch, several single malt.  People were wandering found with pints of whisky.  Later in the evening I could swear the doctor's dog played the piano.  Next morning several participants swam in the Irish Sea.  It was minus 15 centigrade, the coldest winter of my lifetime in the UK.

Scotland is the only choice.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 07:41:46 PM »
New Years Eve...big party in Dublin....3 days worth of fun.  Good golf less than 30 minutes away.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »
Scotland. Choose a small town or village. Not a big city

Dave McCollum

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 10:07:02 PM »
During my single trip to Ireland, I got invited to not one, but two black tie parties.  Those folks like to dress up.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:13:54 PM »
Edinburgh's Hogmanay has become quite a big occasion now with lots of live music, fireworks cascading down the castle ramparts and much carousing into the wee small hours. Tix required for entry to the main area.
On the other hand, if you're looking for a lower key event, a ceilidh in any village hall in the land would be a fantastic opportunity for meeting new friends, sampling lovely Malts, hearing great music, poetry and song - and learning the intricacies of Scottish Country Dancing!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back