News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Match IV: KINGTON V HUNTERCOMBE V CAVENDISH
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:19:29 AM »
Lets see if we can get a clear winner in this match.  I think Cavendish has enough good holes to offer some competition to Kington and Huntercombe.  Interestingly, Huntercombe will be on its own as a flat course so I expect the ole gal not to fare as well in this match. 

#1. K beat H in the last match so nothing changes here.  C's opener is very good though because of a clever green.  That said, K has a clever green and a far more interesting and beautiful drive.  1 SKIN TO KINGTON

#2. H beat K in the last match and that doesn't change.  C's second is another short par with its narrow green set above a dip...excellent hole, but not enough to top H's effort which is not only a good hole, but beautiful as well.  1 SKIN TO HUNTERCOMBE

#3. H's third is an outstanding hole using the slope of the hill in a bold and magnificent manner.  A hollow down the left keeps one interested in trying to gain the best angle of approach.  K lost this battle in the match so its out.  C on the other hand gives us an excellent short par 4 which can be driven if one can work around the sand left and stop the ball on the front to back green.  The difference between these holes is width.  H doesn't offer it and C does.  1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

#4. C's drop shotter is good, but somehow lacking.  H beat K in the last match and that remains the case.  The green and surrounds takes this skin. 1 SKIN TO HUNTERCOMBE

#5. While I like K's uphill Road Hole par 3, I couldn't pick a clear winner in the last match.  Step up C with a brutally difficult uphill par 4 to raised green!  1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

#6. C comes back down the hill to a very well conceived green, the problem is the boring drive.  H's 6th is a very good par 5 over a loads of centreline stuff.  K's short par 4 relies heavily on the left to right cant of the fairway.  I don't see a clear winner here. NO BLOOD

The match stands at

Huntercombe: 2 skins (2 & 4)

Cavendish: 2 skins (3 & 5)

Kington: 1 skin (1)

No blood: 6

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:59:42 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean_A

Re: Match IV: KINGTON V HUNTERCOMBE V CAVENDISH
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 07:15:46 AM »
The match stands at

Huntercombe: 2 skins (2 & 4)
Cavendish: 2 skins (3 & 5)
Kington: 1 skin (1)

No blood: #6

#7. C's 7th, while good because of the green, it isn't one of the better holes on the course.  K's par 5 is solid, but not terribly memorable.  Despite the tree congestion, the shaping around an interesting par3 green wins out for H.  1 SKIN TO HUNTERCOMBE

#8. H's strong par 4 to an evil two tier green is, like many holes, too tight for the required job on hand.  K's par 4 was seriously compromised by a new tee.  C's par 4 features a very cool green with even cooler bunkers.  I can't call a winner here.  NO BLOOD

Cavendish

Huntercombe

#9. H's legging left par 4 has been improved recent;y with tree clearance, but neither this or C's downhill par 3 is a match for Kington's masterful short hole.  1 SKIN TO KINGTON

#10. K's shortish par 4 is good and so is H's par 3, but neither are anywhere near a match for C's long, heroic,  two-shotter.  1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

#11. C's par 4 is another stellar effort, using the water very well.  K's par 5 is far tougher than it looks or seems it should be.  H's par 4 is interesting with its fairway cut in two by sand.  As with the previous hole, the winner has to be C. 1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

#12. C's shortish par 4 plays to a very difficult and obscured green H's moderate length par 4 plays over a gaping bunker to a green moving away from play.  But I think K's par 3 steals the show.  1 SKIN TO KINGTON

Behind the green.

The match stands at

Cavendish: 4 skins (3, 5, 10 & 11)
Huntercombe: 3 skins (2, 4 & 7)
Kington: 3 skins (1, 9 & 12)

No blood: 6 & 8

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:58:40 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Match IV: KINGTON V HUNTERCOMBE V CAVENDISH 1-12
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »
I am enjoying these 3 ball skins games, even though the only course so far featured with which I am familiar is Cavendish.

I really must post my own match soon between the MacKenzie trio of Crosland Heath, Cavendish, and Reddish Vale.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 07:14:55 PM »
S - Nice to see Cavendish-3rd win a skin. I am hopeful that Cavendish-14th wins one too:  dogleg left with a lovely field-stone wall (and out of bounds) running the length of the left side and a sloping/false-front green is enough to make it a Par 5 I'd like to play. I am fearful, however, that you are just toying with us - and that Kington will start racking up the skins shortly.
P

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:02:54 PM »
Pietro

Now that you mention it...I am sensing an upset because C's back 9 is very strong.  K & H will have to team up well to hang in the match.

The match stands at

Cavendish: 4 skins (3, 5, 10 & 11)
Kington: 3 skins (1, 9 & 12)

#13. K's 13th is a doozy; blind drive slipping downhill left back uphill to an awesome greensite.  C's par 3 is also a cracker.  There is a hint of Redan about the hole, but quite uphill.  H's par 4 is a good, but not up to the task.  Based on par 4s as meat and spuds, and that K's example is very good...its a winner.  1 SKIN TO KINGTON

A look at #13 from the next tee.

#14. I really like K's par 5 seemingly heading all the way to Oz, but it never seems to win a skin.  I am afraid the same outcome is about to materialize.  H's long par 4 is good, C's use of a field wall to a raised green at the base of a railroad embankment is something extraordinary to pull off on flat terrain. 1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

#15. C is firing on all cylinders at this point in the round.  The par 3 off the railroad embankment has more than a hint of Eden about it; in fact it is a more severe version than TOC's.  K's long drop shot par 3 is good as well.  For that matter, so is H's!  Tough choice here, but I do think C's short hole is the best of the lot.  1 SKIN TO CAVENDISH

The match stands at

Cavendish: 6 skins (3, 5, 10, 11, 14 & 15)
Kington: 4 skins (1, 9, 12 & 13)

Sean_A

Re: Match IV: KINGTON V HUNTERCOMBE V CAVENDISH 1-15
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
The match stands at

Kington: 4 skins (1, 9, 12 & 13)

#16. C's 16th is a very cool par 4 with its interesting green often blind down the hill.  K's 16th is good as well because of the raised green.  However, H's par over two hollows takes the prize because good 5s are rare.  1 SKIN TO HUNTERCOMBE

#17. H's sub 275 par 4 is excellent, if a bit crowded by unnecessary vegetation.  C's par 3 is good, but not nearly one of the better short holes on the course.  K's short 4 is a favourite of mine, but its not as good as H's.  1 SKIN TO HUNTERCOMBE

#18. Well, finally some competition for K, but even so, I don't think C's home hole has the character to win out.  H's home hole is somewhat disappointing because of an oddball bunker etc. Its close, but K takes this one.  1 SKIN TO KINGTON

Cavendish pulls off the upset and turns over what I would have thought was the favourite, Kington.  That said, anybody who has played Cavendish knows how many quality holes it has.   

Huntercombe: 5 skins (2, 4, 7, 16 & 17)
Kington: 5 skins (1, 9, 12, 13 & 18)

Previous Matches

Match III: Kington V New Zealand V Huntercombe
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63708.0.html

Match II: Cleeve Cloud V Royal Ashdown Forest V Kington
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63674.0.html

Match I: Minch Old V Painswick V Cleeve Cloud
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63660.0.html

Next Match: Cavendish V Prestbury V Liphook

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:57:37 PM by Sean_A »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 07:22:47 AM »

Sean thanks for taking the time a lovely reminder of 3 fantastic palces.  For those who haven’t played them they do have something in common despite being an entirely different land. Inland with a smattering of eccentricity and character that sets them apart?
Hentercombe is the only one I’ve played more than once as a planned trip back to Cavendish this year, didn’t happen.

As to the Match Well it is a surprise but there’s some very fine individual holes competing here, and that’s the quirk of Matchplay.
AND I really like Huntercombe’s 12th, especially the green and any sane man would give 18 to the magnificent 2 shotter at Cavendish.

IN fact, 18 at Kington is the only hole there I’ve played twice.

Driver OOB hard against the Clubhouse.
Reload
5W OOB hard against the Clubhouse.
‘Nuff said.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
Thanks Sean,
I'm familiar with all 3 of these courses and I've gone through your match a couple of times to check and I tend to agree with you on pretty much all of it!
Might have to do one of these myself if I get a minute, now which 3 courses to pick...  8)
Cheers,
James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »
Spangles

I like Huntercombe's 12th as well, very cool hole. 

I don't think you should hold user error against Kington's 18th.  Cavendish has a stellar 18th, but not one I would say is unique so Kington wins that battle for me. 

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back