News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Top 5 rumpled links sites
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »
How do you like your rumples?

Started as an amalgamation of two other threads going at the moment, I thought I'd ask people which links courses give them the greatest pleasure in terms of rumpled fairways and green surrounds (looking to exclude a discussion on green contouring internally).

T'other thread has a picture of Ballyliffin Old but I'll confess that the course doesn't provide my favourite kind of rumple. Too small and uniform.

I prefer more varied rolls and swales, humps and hollows, bigger without being outrageous. Like the 4th fairway at Portrush, much of Royal St George's, the 3rd at Carne, numerous spots on TOC and some at Deal. Sometimes it's the lower lying courses, sometimes the ones with bigger dunes.

Which courses give you the most visual excitement in terms of short grass rumple?

Thomas Dai

Re: Top 5 rumpled links sites
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »
Interesting question Ally.

The mogul like ones such as you've highlighted previously on the 5th at Strandhill (both fairway and green) were the first examples that came to mind followed by courses like ToC, Westward Ho! and the beforementioned Ballyliffin Old.

But then I started to ponder much smaller, subtle rumples and the course that came to mind was Dunfanaghy. The first few holes in particular, and some in the middle ones to an extent, appear from distance to be extremely flat but when you walk or play them you realise everything is tiny ripples and mini-mounds, inches rather than feet high for the most part, and quite delightful in a gentle manner. I can't quite remember but I think the second-9 on the OTM course at Rosapenna has them in places as well (need to check my photos). There are some lovely ones on the 7th hole at Golspie as well. Tain too in places. 'Thinking cap' time.

Atb

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
Getting away from the usual suspects, such as TOC, I'm going to plump for Silloth - it has a great deal of movement.
I like the elevated holes at Wallasey, but the flat part is dullish.
St Enodoc is a lovely spot with some marvellous views.
Royal Porthcawl, I don't think, gets enough praise on this site. It is very good.
I love the movement in Royal Dornoch. Great course!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
We actually produced a list of the courses with "Bumpiest Contours" -- I believe Ran wanted to call it "Best Micro-Undulation" -- in the back of Volume 1 of The Confidential Guide.  Can't tell you why we left The Old Course out, but here was our top ten:

Ballyliffin
Askernish
Boat of Garten
Machrihanish Dunes
West Cornwall
Narin & Portnoo
Fraserburgh
Machrihanish
Royal Troon (Old)
Aberdovey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
I've only played two on Tom's list. I can certainly understood West Cornall being there, but Narin & Portnoo wouldn't make the top ten of what I've played.

Let me try.
Strandhill
Carne
Portrush
Portsalon
Portstewart
Tenby
Pennard
West Cornwall
Bude and North Cornwall
Perranporth

EDIT: Sean's post below reminded me of Burnham & Berrow to add to this list.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:13:33 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 04:39:39 AM »
Like Ally, I tend to prefer lower lying links with smaller bumps and rolls and the odd bit of 5-20 foot elevation. TOC is the obvious answer, but Deal also has some beautiful terrain.  Burnham doesn't get mentioned often for this sort of thing, but its fairways are very bumpy for the most part...same for Dornoch.  With much more elevation change, Pennard too has a lot of micro movement in its fairways.  Nobody mentions it, but Princes has some superb bumpy fairways. Portrush does very well on this score as well.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:37:31 AM »
How does Prestwick avoid this list? From photos I'd also think of Paraparaumu in NZ but haven't seen it yet myself.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »
Some of my all-time favorites are at Machrihanish Dunes:

Just enough to be interesting, without any unnecessary ostentation. Perhaps that's the very measure of Scotland and the Scots!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »
Sean the 9th on the Shore loop at a Princes has the most wonderful fairway. 
Cave Nil Vino

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:38:46 AM »
Does 'Rig & Furrow' count ?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 03:53:25 AM »

Brian,

no 'Rig & Furrow' on a genuine links site would exist though I am sure some links might have some on the odd hole away from the sandy ground.

Jon

Ryan Coles

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 05:14:19 AM »
Two top courses that are disappointingly flat and runway like:

Royal Birkdale
Castle Stuart

I liked both, but they would be better with more rumples.

Should an architect create/shape micro undulations in fairways where none exist naturally?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 05:34:53 AM »

Royal Birkdale
Castle Stuart

Should an architect create/shape micro undulations in fairways where none exist naturally?

Ryan,

I agree with Birkdale  but this is actually how the land is as can be seen if you explore the untouched dunes surrounding. Castle Stuart does have very smooth but not flat fairways. To get micro undulations I believe you have to hand finish which is slow but very effective.
[/size]
[/size]Jon

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 09:35:29 AM »

Brian,

no 'Rig & Furrow' on a genuine links site would exist though I am sure some links might have some on the odd hole away from the sandy ground.

Jon

Funnily enough, we have rig and furrow on the 11th hole at Portmarnock, as genuine links land as you can get.

The land was originally home to 5 cottages, crofters who probably had to put up with whatever soil they were given in 19th century Ireland.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
Rumples and Rigs and Furrows are two very different kettles of fish, as it were.

For the best understanding of the difference between "Rumples" and "non Rumples", compare and contrast the first hole at Ballyliffin Old v. the first hole at Ballyliffin Gleshedy.  At the latter your ball ends up roughly where you hit it.  At the former, your ball ends up where quantum mechanics chooses where it ends up, no matter where you thought you hit it.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 12:18:42 PM »
Rumples and Rigs and Furrows are two very different kettles of fish, as it were.

For the best understanding of the difference between "Rumples" and "non Rumples", compare and contrast the first hole at Ballyliffin Old v. the first hole at Ballyliffin Gleshedy.  At the latter your ball ends up roughly where you hit it.  At the former, your ball ends up where quantum mechanics chooses where it ends up, no matter where you thought you hit it.

Rich

Quantum Mechanics? Really? Newton and Einstein might disagree. ;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »

Royal Birkdale
Castle Stuart

Add Saunton East to that list, except that you can't say I liked it.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
The big army machines that were deployed across the course during WWII might have something to do with the lack of natural undulations currently present at Saunton.
Atb
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:06:50 PM by Thomas Dai »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
Ally,

my understanding of 'Rig and Furrow' is that it was used by small farmers/crofters working thin poor draining soil as a way of creating ridges of drier, deeper soils for growing crops especially vegetables. I suppose it might be a sign of potato crops though I would have thought this would have created much narrower ridges than is typical for Rig and Furrow'.

Jon

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »
Ally,

my understanding of 'Rig and Furrow' is that it was used by small farmers/crofters working thin poor draining soil as a way of creating ridges of drier, deeper soils for growing crops especially vegetables. I suppose it might be a sign of potato crops though I would have thought this would have created much narrower ridges than is typical for Rig and Furrow'.

Jon

Yes Jon - That was the primary use of land on 11 at Portmarnock.

Rich - I like varied sizes, shapes and rolls in my rumple. That's why Ballyliffin Old isn't my favourite - too uniform in size and shape.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »
Deal is just about perfect in its variety of rumples and crumples! I was sold by the third hole.

Paraparaumu is very natural and offers wonderfully crumpled surfaces. Burnham & Berrow is another naturally crumpled course.

Some "Crumples" at "Parapram"

All are wonderful!   :-*
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:39:51 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Norbert P

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
  Though I've never seen the course . . .

Winstongolf Links in Germany has quite a reputation for bold contours on (and off) the course proper.

https://www.winstongolf.com/#/en/courses/winstonlinks/

M. Rowlinson had a nice presentation here a few years ago.

(click on the "hole photos" hyperlink in the pop-up to remove the pop-up)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:37:52 PM by Norbert P »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Keith Grande

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »
Lahinch for me

Josh Bills

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 05:21:40 PM »
Parts like this on the New Course (7th hole) at sunset are pretty amazing. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back