News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MClutterbuck

This map is very interesting. It of course is only climate, and it does not consider soil and terrain. But it is interesting if any parallels might be drawn between golf course designs and maintenance in Australia and the rest of the world. Probably a better map relating to golf could be drawn by designers and agronomists.

James Bennett

I didn't know Tasmania was so large.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Rose

I don't think San Francisco gets 110 degree heat in the summer.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

James Bennett

Matthew

drive 40 km inland from San Francisco and you might.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Josh Stevens

Mr Clutterbuck (love the name) is correct, the map does not take into account soil

I can't speak much for the east coast, but as for the west, yes Perth is pretty much exactly the same climate as LA.  The only difference is all of Perth is pure sand down the centre of the earth.

LA has infinitely better golf courses, largely for economic reasons, but imagine how much better again they would be if they had Perth's soil advantages.  Pure, free running beach sand and much greater flexibility in construction and then  huge amounts of ground water to hold the grass over the the hot dry summers. 

Mike_Clayton

Josh,

It's crazy Perth doesn't have a bunch of top 20 courses in Australia. They would have if MacKenzie had gone there in 1926 and not Melbourne. It's not all economic.

Josh Stevens

I might also take some issue with how Adelaide is mapped.  Its pretty much exactly like Perth  and so is SoCal rather than NorCal.  Ditto with the sand, at least in the western burbs

Steve Lang

8)  How does the Latrobe Valley in Victoria compare to the Latrobe Valley in PA?  Any famous golfers from there?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

James Bennett

Josh

I'd say Adelaide is LA North, and Perth is San Diego.

James B

Josh Stevens

Actually its the reverse.  Perth is LA and Adelaide is San Diego, strange as it may seem.

The temperatures are similar, but even though its further north, Perth gets significantly more rainfall than Adelaide, in fact Perth gets more rain than Melbourne - we just get it all in a short horrid winter

Tim_Weiman

Josh,

It's crazy Perth doesn't have a bunch of top 20 courses in Australia. They would have if MacKenzie had gone there in 1926 and not Melbourne. It's not all economic.
Mike,

Interesting observation. Too bad the Good Doctor didn't make it to Perth.
Tim Weiman

Josh Stevens

Apparently he did stop for a few days as the ship berthed in Fremantle on the way to Melbourne,  but not long enough to make an impact.  He was also a few years early - Perths second course building phase didn't start until 1928

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back