News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Minch Old V Cleeve Cloud V Painswick
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »
Mark,

You've posted numerous excellent photo tours herein. Did you happen to do photo tours of these courses or any others on this trip?

Atb

Thomas, I didn't post a photo tour from this trip but do have photos from all the courses played.  If there are any photos in particular you are looking for I am happy to post or send to you.

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
No doubt the wild elevation changes were made more noticeable by tired legs.  Add to that a fierce wind and conditions so firm that the ending location of a golf ball could be a long way from where one would think.  By way of example, my tee shot over the aiming pole on the second... ended up in the first fairway.

Mark

It is extremely common for drives to end up in the "1st" fairway.  If that is an example of the extreme, I don't think Cleeve is your cup of tea.

Ciao

Sean,

ignoring my personal preference, if it is common to have tee shots played on the bold line end up in the first fairway, doesn't that make the hole much worse?  What's the point of risking a tee shot that flirts with the trouble if you're going to be left with a terrible angle that is substantially the same as a cautious tee ball?

Mark

The weather changes a lot, as do conditions.  Sometimes, only a skank hook will hold that hill.  I have seen pushed drives there roll all the way down the path left of #1.  That is the price of hilly golf using bold lines.  I like the hole first because of the green and second because I don't think I have ever hit a good drive and wood to a 300 yard hole so often.  Its an incredibly deceptive hole even when you know the score.  If a hole is strategic or not is not the first aspect I usually hang onto for evaluating a hole. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:30:33 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2016, 12:44:48 PM »
Thanks for the offer Mark. I've got quite a few but was just wondering if you'd done a tour as your tours are very thorough and comprehensive.

Shots running distances off-line can also be an issue on a few places at Painswick, including the possibility of a ball running down the road into the village on the 17th hole! The flatter terrain at Minch' Old means such movement is unlikely.

Atb

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
Whet your appetite for Cleeve Hill with this 18-hole high definition flyover.

The angle of the drone flight flattens the topography out almost entirely, but you get a good sense of the unique Cotswold escarpment geography.

http://www.cleevehillgolfclub.co.uk/Flyover-Video/
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Thomas Dai

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »
There's this one that gives an indication of what Minch' Old on the common is like. Soooo spacious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxarsxBj4vs

Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back