News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett Wiesley

Re: The 10 Scottish Courses You Want To Play
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm heading to Scotland next Fall.  Here is my line up, with a few open slots in St. Andrews.  I missed the ballot, but will likely try the lottery for TOC.  The trip is with the wife, so we'll only be golfing once a day, with some breaks.  It's hard to pass some up, but there are too many great courses, and I'm certain to be back again.

Dornoch Struie (arrival day from Utah)
Dornoch Championship
Brora
Castle Stuart
**No golf day in Pilochry**
St. Andrews area ???
St. Andrews area ???
Kingsbarns
**No golf day in Edinburgh**
Lahinch (after flight from EDI to SNN)
Ballybunion
Dooks
**No golf day in Dublin**

Ken Moum

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 04:10:27 PM »
Re. Portmahomack, IIRC, either Davis Tepper or Stan Dodd suggested it to my my wife and me, when we were in Dornoch. I think we were talking about the restaurant there, Oystercatcher?

Anyway, I have trouble getting a lost of 10 new places I'm fired up to play, but here's a go.

Irvine Bogside (we rode bikes by it a couple of times on  the National Cycle Network while staying in Irvine and it piqued my curiosity.)

Western Gailes

Glasgow Gailes (Actually, I'd probably book this http://www.gailesgolfexperience.co.uk and play Dundonald as well, looked at it on a bike ride last year as well.)

Machrihanish

Wick, Thurso, Durness. (Never been past Brora and that coast intrigues me.)

Want to play more between Nairn and Fraserburgh, Royal Duff House for sure, but there are some other "little" courses I want to see.  We have played Cullen and Hope man, but the maybe do this just for the hell of it https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/banffshire-coast-golf-pass-p736841.

K

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
As a rampant Scotsman, I'm somewhat ashamed to say there's some serious holes in my Scottish portfolio.
In no order whatsoever, here's my ten unplayed, still to be seen, beauties.

Prestwick (yes, I know..!)
Western Gailes
Troon
Portland
Downfield
Montrose
Nairn
Shiskine
Royal Aberdeen
Duff House

Shameful, eh?

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2016, 11:09:17 PM »
Just back from my fourth trip to Scotland.  I visited Arran and am glad to see Shiskine appear on a few lists as well as Kintyre.  There are many courses I'd love to play again, but I'll go with 10 new ones.  Here goes...

Cruden Bay - #1 on my To Do list for Trip #5
Turnberry (Ailsa)

Carnoustie (Burnside) - I've read good things about it on GCA
Pitlochry - Subject of one of Ran's reviews
Royal Aberdeen
Western Gailes
HCEG
Royal Troon
Moray (Old)
Machrie

jeffwarne

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
To answer Sean's question-I have played Prestwick St. Nicholas-some cool, compact holes near the clubhouse, some very good holes along and in view of the water, a few back and forth holes in the middle of the course.
Well worth a play.

Have also played West Kilbride (Melvyn's recommendation) Quite scenic above and along the water.
fairways a bit meadowy in spots-some holes could be called seaside rather than links.
very welcoming-quite near the ferry to Arran.

One that should be in many people's 10 is Traigh-magical place to spend an evening.(the drive up alone is incredible i itself)

I'm not quite ready to name the next 10 for myself, but I sure want to get to Askernish and Isle of Harris, as well as Wick, Reay, and Durness-along with a couple of Jon Wigget's faves up that way,
A trip along the Moray coast could easily get me to 10 I guess with Moray x 2. several/multiple others (Cullen, Covesea, Hopeman, Strathlene, Rosehearty) along that coast some of whose names are escaping me,Inverallochy, Fraserburgh and Peterhead on the way south
Actually more than 10 ;D ;D

shocker....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:16:17 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Thanks Clyde and Ian,

I'm staying just down the coast from Carradale next April for a friends 60th. As I've 4 courses on my hit liast in that area (Carradale Mach., Mach Dunes and Dunaverty) I suspect I'm going to need to head back another time, but will certainly play at least Carradale (reporting back accordingly) and think Dunaverty would be the other leaving the Mach pairing for another time.

As for Tobermory (and Glencruitten perhaps) I'm there next Sept, 10 years on from our honeymoon which we spent on Mull. My honeymoon was the only time I ever remember going to Scotland without my clubs, but I will certainly have them this time.

Damn it I've just remembered Iona has a course and now I want to see that one as well!  ::)

Cheers,

James

James,
If you play Carradale twice (or even once)..take a walk back and up to a few of the blue tees. Some special views and a great way to relax for an afternoon.I stayed in a b &b rigt on the first tee there-never saw another player in two seperate visits.
The small car ferry near Carradale can get you to Shiskine pretty quick (or as a diversion on the way over/back)
Dunaverty is a blast-a good pairing with Machrahanish.
Carradale (9 holes) is a good pairing with the slog of a walk that is Mach Dunes
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Boon

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
Thanks Jeff,

Looking forward to Carradale and I like how you've split the pairings...  ;) I was probably going to drive all the way around to get there, but if the ferry is as easy as you say, perhaps we can come back via Arran and Shiskine will be in my sights!

One that should be in many people's 10 is Traigh-magical place to spend an evening.(the drive up alone is incredible i itself)

If this was posted 18 months ago it would have been but I played Traigh last year on a wonderful sunny day before crossing to Skye the old fashioned way, by Ferry rather than bridge. 3 or 4 really nice holes and a few quirky ones as well, a great setting with views over to Eigg and Rum, and all easily in an hour. I was back at the car before Mrs B had finished her walk along the beech...  8)

I did take some photos but I just never seem to find the time to post photo tours anymore...

Cheers,

James
Save
Save
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

jeffwarne

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »
Driving around one way and using the ferrys the other is highly recommended. Takes about the same time and you see more.
the ferry from Arran to mainland is big and comfortable with meals.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2016, 12:21:20 AM »
In addition to being enjoyable, taking the ferries also cuts in half the amount of driving done on the very hilly and winding roads on and leading to the Kintyre Peninsula.

James Boon

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 06:36:38 AM »
In addition to being enjoyable, taking the ferries also cuts in half the amount of driving done on the very hilly and winding roads on and leading to the Kintyre Peninsula.

Andy, but the winding hilly road are all part of the experience!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »

Andy, but the winding hilly road are all part of the experience!

Cheers,

James

Agreed. I absolutely LOVE the drive down there. The very best of Scotland's geography, geology, nature and weather on display the whole way!
Oh, and the two whisky shops in Inverary, of course!

F.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2016, 11:17:41 PM »
I visited Arran and Kintyre in August and enjoyed just about everything....including the ferry rides and the winding, hilly roads, but they do require a lot concentration that I'd just as soon devote to green reading, swing thoughts, etc.  One 20-minute or so drive that shouldn't be missed is the one from Machrihanish to Dunaverty.  As Jeff B. said, that is one fun course.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2016, 12:48:10 AM »

I'd visit the following whether I had to pay or not.

North Berwick
Brora
Elie
Cruden Bay
Royal Dornoch
Prestwick
HCEG
TOC
Machrihanish
Royal Aberdeen
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:58:59 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2016, 02:34:08 AM »

As for Tobermory, a couple of tiny pictures on their website seem appealing enough to give it a try.

Clyde,

I will be on Mull at the end of the month and intend to play at least one round at Tobermory so I will make sure to take some photos and post a tour.

Jon

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2016, 05:15:25 AM »

Here's one from my visit to Tobermory to whet the appetite.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:22:16 AM by Ian Galbraith »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2016, 10:17:30 AM »
I've yet to venture north of the border with my bats - despite my Scottish heritage and it being only 140 miles away!

My list of top ten wannaplays;

TOC
North Berwick
Royal Dornoch
Castle Stuart
Cruden Bay
Machrahanish
Machrahanish Dunes
Askernish
Prestwick
Gleneagles Kings
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:19:01 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »
I've only played a couple dozen courses in Scotland so there are many that I haven't played that I really want to. I've never been to the Northeast or Northwest and there are so many up north calling to me:

Royal Dornoch
Brora
Machrihanish
Machrihanish Dunes
Castle Stuart
Royal Aberdeen
Cruden Bay

On the more remote Isles Shiskine and Askernish, based on what I've gleaned form this discussion group.

In East Lothian, the one that I'm most curious to play is Renaissance.

Of the courses I've previously played: I need to revisit Gleneagles Kings as I played it in a sleet storm with howling winds and temp at 2*C when we teed off. Not a fun round.  I'd also replay Prestwick, and Western Gailes. I played Western Gailes on my first day of my first trip to Scotland and absolutely loved it. I want to replay it to see if I still hold it as dear after having played more links. The remainder of my 10 replays would be  seven rounds on TOC.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2016, 08:38:16 AM »
No 11 on my list above would be St Andrews Dukes, simply because I spent a lovely day with Tim Liddy at Moortown last year and he was cleary very proud of his work at Dukes.

Niall C

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »
Duncan

I've only ever walked the new incarnation of the Dukes but played the old version numerous times. Tim has had the advantage of taking in new ground that has addressed some of the walking/climbing issues but I suspect it's still more of a course for buggies. That said, the old layout out had some very nice golf and the new layout, which largely follows the old one from what I could see, looks enjoyable too. However I suspect it will always be hampered by the underlying clay ground conditions.

Niall

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
Thanks Niall. I guess Dukes will always suffer from the attitude "Why go to St Andrews to play a parkland or heathland course?"

No 12 and 13 on my list are Leven and Glasgow Gailes.  I have friends who are members there...

Sam Krume

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:04 AM »
I guess my top ten would be as follows..
Return visits...
TOC
Turnberry(to see the new work)
Muirfield
Gleneagles (Kings)
Prestwick

New Visits...
Renaissance(playing end of October :))
Skibo
G West
Castle Stuart
Loch Lomond

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2016, 10:14:27 AM »
Thanks Niall. I guess Dukes will always suffer from the attitude "Why go to St Andrews to play a parkland or heathland course?"

No 12 and 13 on my list are Leven and Glasgow Gailes.  I have friends who are members there...

Just as soon as you like, D!
Cheers,
F.

hhuffines

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »
Jason,

Just got back and can say I really enjoyed Leven and Musselburgh Old.  I would go back to the latter in a heartbeat, only 11 pounds!  Unfortunately the old "bar" behind #4 is being remodeled.

PS - thanks Bart and Matt Bradley!

Hart

Scott Champion

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »
I've just returned from a UK study trip, where I was lucky enough to visit a couple dozen courses throughout Scotland.
Of those I missed, the next 10 would be (no order):

Muirfield
Shiskine
Western Gailes
Askernish
Turnberry - Kintyre (post changes currently being constructed)
Carnoustie
Troon
Lossiemouth
Crail (Balcomie)
Nairn

Top 5 for return visits:

TOC
Nth Berwick
Machrihanish
Cruden Bay
..and Jura will always get a return visit.

Niall C

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2016, 08:05:52 AM »
Jason,

Just got back and can say I really enjoyed Leven and Musselburgh Old.  I would go back to the latter in a heartbeat, only 11 pounds!  Unfortunately the old "bar" behind #4 is being remodeled.

PS - thanks Bart and Matt Bradley!

Hart

When did you play Musselburgh Old ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back