News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Gilson

Re: Great 1st Tees
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
Royal Sydney...back, top tee

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
The best first tees are communal and properly connected to the clubhouse/starter building both physically and emotionally.  Uniform short grass is one element that achieves this, making all places in the area connected as well as feeling more formally maintained and connected to the central formal element, the clubhouse structure itself.  Eliminate as much clutter as you can, especially carts/trolleys, and reduce paved paths as much as possible.  At the very least, keep paths toward the outsides so as to maximize the communal lawn within.

That said, all situations are unique.  Proximity to clubhouse will effect what you may want to do, and the style of the clubhouse could even have an effect as well.  It may drive decisions with more formal elements, or it could call for a design feel that is more irregular and natural.  I love the teeing grounds at the Old Course and North Berwick with their open short grass tying straight into formal hardscapes, but I also like ones Royal Melbourne East and Crystal Downs where you walk a bit away from the clubhouse through some trees and hit away into the great wide open through a shoot of trees and scrub. Like all responsible design, it depends on what you are working with and maximizing the given space. 
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

John McCarthy

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 10:05:40 PM »
Isn't fear of public humiliation a factor? 

Butler's 1st, up high next to the putting green introduces a pucker factor.  Oakmont, same. Riviera.  Everyone is looking at you. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Ken Kearney

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:43 AM »
Ardglass GC
KK.

Sam Krume

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 03:03:59 AM »
the 1st tee that springs to mind for me is Perranporth. You are literally a paths width away from the clubhouse with all and sundry in the clubhouse looking at your swing from the comfort of their armchair.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 03:13:10 AM »

Butler's 1st, up high next to the putting green introduces a pucker factor.  Oakmont, same. Riviera.  Everyone is looking at you.

Royal Aberdeen

Dave McCollum

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »

Royal Aberdeen

Only thing missing are the foot lights.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 01:19:33 PM »
I prefer unassuming first tees, but near all of the "action."

Camargo is very much like this: the tee itself is only functional; no flowers, no signage...just the tee. However, its location is only about 15 feet from the golf shop and 10 feet from the putting green. It allows those waiting to tee off to watch and communicate with those on the tee and also allows the PGA Professional staff the flexibility to freely and easily move between the golfers on the tee, putting green and in the golf shop.

Alternatively, the two distinctive sets of tees on No. 1 East at Malone (New York) Golf Club are very different. The primary tee (which I believe was added in the 1980s as they built the West Course) sits up on top of a steep hill right next to the clubhouse. Its position only allows diners to watch if it's a full house as its near their side dining room (overflow). It's so far up that steps are needed and its removed from the nearby putting green and snack bar. On the flip side, the original tee (now the alternate) is right next to the putting green and snack bar and is on the same level and has easier access to the golf shop. Plus, I feel that this tee penalizes a wayward shot less, even though you see less of the hole from the tee (which is fine by me). Below is an aerial photo of the layout. The primary tee is on the left, just above the clubhouse roof. The original tee is just above the putting green, next to the stairs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:22:38 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:06 PM »
No mention of Portstewart (Strand) yet. Bit of a surprise as it's normally a 1st tee that gets mentioned pretty quickly and it is extremely photogenic.
Atb

MClutterbuck

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
I believe ANGC meets most of the criterias mentioned. Next to the CH and pro shop, 1 HOC, low key, 2 small logs and the intimidating hole ahead.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »

Blackwell...spoiled somewhat by the blind drive

Sean,

Why do you state a blind drive spoils a first tee? Is this particular blind drive unfair? Would a blind drive to a very generous wide fairway feel the same?

The first tee for my course is blind, to a very, very wide fairway. The blindness coming out of a forest obscures some fantastic views that open up once you get to the landing area. I think it is a cool feature.

M

Buddy Aiken

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
Very interesting and thought provoking thread.  My initial thoughts gravitated to Merion, but Brett’s great observations made me think of both Secession and Huntstanton which are two of my favorites.

I would personally give the nod to Huntstanton given the way it is physically and emotionally tied in with the surrounds.  The whole scene is perfect for casual viewing pleasure, as the shot itself offers opportunities for peril (thin shots into the gaping bunker and blocked shots bring in the OB) and heroics as the green is reachable if the conditions are right.  It’s close proximity to the 18th green makes it in play on that hole as well.  Which increases the casual viewer's pleasure and can make for interesting short game heroics for matches coming up the 18th.  Any match going down the 19th can be enjoyed by the casual onlooker without having to move.

Lastly, the after lunch glass of Kummel can be comfortably incorporated into the pre-shot routine for the afternoon round.

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »

Sean,

Why do you state a blind drive spoils a first tee? Is this particular blind drive unfair? Would a blind drive to a very generous wide fairway feel the same?

The first tee for my course is blind, to a very, very wide fairway. The blindness coming out of a forest obscures some fantastic views that open up once you get to the landing area. I think it is a cool feature.

M

Part of the quality of the 1st tee is I believe the view/excitement from that tee.  Blackwell's view is exceptional to the 9th and 19th greens...in fact one could practically fall off the tee onto the 18th green!  However, the view up the fairway is just a hill with nothing of intrigue to get the juices flowing. 

When I think of Hunstanton's view it is outstanding to the 1st, 18th and beach.  One can comfortably carry on a conversation with folks on the terrace and easily run to the proshop for a sleeve of balls...and take in a quick practice putt along the way.  A remarkable set-up that should be emulated.   The course is damn good as well.

There aren't that many really good 1st tees and its incredible to me that archies continually neglect this aspect of design.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
Merion is great but Westhampton is sublime.
JT

Peter Galea

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2016, 12:06:30 AM »
Spyglass Hill
"chief sherpa"

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 01:08:51 AM »
Could you post a picture of the view of the first tee and surrounding areas?
Get rid of everything except for the tee with everything as clean as possible - assuming it fits with the rest of the course.
Wolf Point is my favorite because you can play from anywhere and have a most expansive view.
Good luck
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:28 AM »

Sean,

M

Part of the quality of the 1st tee is I believe the view/excitement from that tee.  Blackwell's view is exceptional to the 9th and 19th greens...in fact one could practically fall off the tee onto the 18th green!  However, the view up the fairway is just a hill with nothing of intrigue to get the juices flowing. 

When I think of Hunstanton's view it is outstanding to the 1st, 18th and beach.  One can comfortably carry on a conversation with folks on the terrace and easily run to the proshop for a sleeve of balls...and take in a quick practice putt along the way.  A remarkable set-up that should be emulated.   The course is damn good as well.

There aren't that many really good 1st tees and its incredible to me that archies continually neglect this aspect of design.

Ciao

I dont disagree with anything you say, but I also find variety to be interesting and loved the concept of what was designed in our course. Sometimes when you have fantastic views in most holes, building a bit more slowly towards showcasing the property and the views, building anticipation in the player, some anxiety with the blind shot, I like it. I would argue that coming into the fairway, finding your ball and the view simultaneously is sometimes better than getting that impact while waiting on the first tee. Of course it has to be a fair shot, easy.

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
M

I was thinking about the connection with house and 1st tee and what that means in terms of a view as much as from a playing PoV.  Its good to sit in the house and watch balls land in the 1st fairway.  That also means the house and tee will almost always be intimately connected.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Topp

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
Most great first tees are terrific because of their setting. 

One think I like about my club is that the back tees are in the middle of the action, like many mentioned here, but the forward tees are down a hill and to the right.  The people most anxious about teeing off in front of a crowd have privacy while those that are less likely to be bothered by such a thing experience do not.  We also have a small putting green near the tee which is good while waiting your turn.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
Could you post a picture of the view of the first tee and surrounding areas?
Get rid of everything except for the tee with everything as clean as possible - assuming it fits with the rest of the course.
Wolf Point is my favorite because you can play from anywhere and have a most expansive view.
Good luck

Wolf Point was my first thought. Great view of everything:

Mr Hurricane

Thomas Dai

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »

A great aspect of Blackwell is how both the 1st tee and the 18th green are immediately adjacent to the clubhouse and both can pretty much be viewed from the same lounge chair. A few other courses share this fine (and desirable?) feature, eg Royal Aberdeen, Burnham and Berrow and TOC.

Atb

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Pasatiempo

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »

I think Alwoodley is outstanding. Friars Head is also very good.

Both ooze calm and understated quality.

Both have seamless transitions between the clubhouse, pro shop, practice green and 1st tee. Both have clubhouses of unique architectural interest.

The scale of Alwoodley sets it apart for me. The clubhouse wraps its warm arms around what is, an intimate space to commence the game. It really is very special.

Importantly, the interface between these clubs and the first tee is absent of busyness, clutter, unnecessary landscaping, signage, sharp changes in level - And carts.

'Less is more'

Lyne

Great 1st tees are hard to come by.  For one, the buildings around it (and there should be the house very near) need to be attractive.  For another, a sense of coziness has to also give way to a sense of eagerness to play the game.  So while cozy, the tee has to have a promise of things to come. For me, the best 1st tees are

Alwoodley

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:33:13 PM by Lyne Morrison »

Sandy Smith

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2016, 12:30:34 AM »
Hard to beat standing on the first tee at Capilano on a nice day.
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2016, 03:54:40 AM »
The men's championship and medal tee on the 1st at Cruden Bay.......not now, but as it was before the new Clubhouse was built.

Back then the clubhouse was a one story chalet type building with huge windows across the front. The building was long and thin and set back circa 20-30 yds from the top of the ridge. The men's championship and medal tee was positioned immediately in front of the clubhouse windows with the then proshop behind the tee and the North Sea and the rest of the world visible in front.

Wound ball on a wooden tee, persimmon driver in hand, wind from the right, OB left, gorse right, Slaines Castle in the distance. Bliss.

If I can find a photo I'll post it.

Spectacular.

Atb
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:59:25 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back