News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Shellard

Re: RIP Arnold Palmer
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
Thanks Bill  ;)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »

The backdoor around a pay wall, to get a full article, is to enter the headline of the article in a search engine.

If you enter in google:
"How Mark McCormack and Arnold Palmer Helped Change Sports Forever[size=78%]"[/size]
and then click on the first item that come up, you should have access to the full article.

Thanks, Bill. 

That WSJ reporter updated his article (essentially) in light of Arnie's passing...

How Arnold Palmer Revolutionized the Business of Sports
http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-arnold-palmer-revolutionized-the-business-of-sports-1474896666

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 01:15:26 PM »
The man has so many positive attributes that it's hard to list them, but I'll try.  In playing the game, he was fearless, confident, happy, inspiring and very attuned to his audience.  In person, he was magnetic, supremely self-assured and welcoming.  As a spokesman, he was sincere, trustworthy and authentic.  But most of all, Arnold Palmer never forgot where he came from. 

He was a Latrobe boy who couldn't swim in the Latrobe Country Club pool, even though his dad was the greenskeeper at the club.  After he became famous and famously rich, nobody would've thought twice if he never went back to Latrobe.  Instead, he bought the place and treated it like a treasure and gave back to the Latrobe community.

I've heard a version of the following story many times and it epitomizes this great man's central ethos:  It is said that a younger player was utterly amazed at how many autographs Arnold Palmer gave.  He was astounded that he would spend so much time shaking hands with the fans and talking to them instead of scurrying/hurrying back to the clubhouse.  Arnold told him in so many words that those fans were paying for all of the prize money that they were playing for and that if the young man didn't want to be thankful for that, then maybe he should go get a different job.

On the several occasions that I had the opportunity to say hello to Mr. Palmer, I can only say that he was beyond gracious.  I never did tell him that he won the first golf tournament that I ever attended: the 1963 Western Open at Beverly.  I walked to the tournament with my dad and two of my brothers.  The biggest crowd was around his foursome and I wondered why.  "That's Arnold Palmer," my dad said.  And I subconsciously became a member of Arnie's Army.  We've lost our Commander in Chief.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »
He was a Latrobe boy who couldn't swim in the Latrobe Country Club pool, even though his dad was the greenskeeper at the club.  After he became famous and famously rich, nobody would've thought twice if he never went back to Latrobe.  Instead, he bought the place and treated it like a treasure and gave back to the Latrobe community.

I never read it put that way, or thought about it like that before. You're right -- nobody would've given it a second thought if he'd made Florida or Arizona or Palm Springs his permanent home. That he didn't says something -- I'm not sure what, but it is indeed something important/significant. It seems like he was saying "thank you" -- which is quite remarkable in itself, given his history/upbringing there.  Maybe that essential gratitude is what pored out of him and shaped his behaviour and made him so beloved.  Gratitude is Good.

Peter   

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »
Here's a link to a terrific article about Palmer written by my buddy Jeff Rude back in March, 2012:

http://golfweek.com/2012/03/19/palmer-has-uncommon-connection-fans-press/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:48:00 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »
And Bubba Watson sits at home narry a headline. RIP Arnold Palmer and thanks once again.

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »
The man has so many positive attributes that it's hard to list them, but I'll try.  In playing the game, he was fearless, confident, happy, inspiring and very attuned to his audience.  In person, he was magnetic, supremely self-assured and welcoming.  As a spokesman, he was sincere, trustworthy and authentic.  But most of all, Arnold Palmer never forgot where he came from. 

I've heard a version of the following story many times and it epitomizes this great man's central ethos:  It is said that a younger player was utterly amazed at how many autographs Arnold Palmer gave.  He was astounded that he would spend so much time shaking hands with the fans and talking to them instead of scurrying/hurrying back to the clubhouse.  Arnold told him in so many words that those fans were paying for all of the prize money that they were playing for and that if the young man didn't want to be thankful for that, then maybe he should go get a different job.

On the several occasions that I had the opportunity to say hello to Mr. Palmer, I can only say that he was beyond gracious.  I never did tell him that he won the first golf tournament that I ever attended: the 1963 Western Open at Beverly.  I walked to the tournament with my dad and two of my brothers.  The biggest crowd was around his foursome and I wondered why.  "That's Arnold Palmer," my dad said.  And I subconsciously became a member of Arnie's Army.  We've lost our Commander in Chief.

Nice post, Terry.

Arnold was old school. Today we ridicule old school and praise the new school, who scoffs at the old school.

We're lesser for it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil McDade

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
Mr. Palmer seemed to be the definition of life well lived. That is the best obituary one could have, in my opinion.

That's just about exactly what my father said, shortly before his passing, when we had one of our last chats about athletes. "He's lived a full life," he said about Arnie, and indeed he had.

He was one of my father's favorite athletes, and they shared many characteristics (and were from the same generation, and separated in age by just a few years). Both came from modest families, both became pilots, both knew about the grit and drive of competition in sports. Arnie was famous, my dad not, but I saw a lot in my father that resembled how Palmer took on life.

We may not see the likes of Palmer for a very long time, if ever again.

BHoover

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »
Mr. Palmer seemed to be the definition of life well lived. That is the best obituary one could have, in my opinion.

That's just about exactly what my father said, shortly before his passing, when we had one of our last chats about athletes. "He's lived a full life," he said about Arnie, and indeed he had.

He was one of my father's favorite athletes, and they shared many characteristics (and were from the same generation, and separated in age by just a few years). Both came from modest families, both became pilots, both knew about the grit and drive of competition in sports. Arnie was famous, my dad not, but I saw a lot in my father that resembled how Palmer took on life.

My grandfather was not a golfer (nor much of a sports fan in general). He spent his time working to support his family, but like Mr. Palmer, my grandfather was generous with his time and support for his family. But even though my grandfather was not a dedicated sports fan, there were two athletes he admired all his life -- Bob Feller and Arnold Palmer. He admired them because they came from modest beginnings and worked damn hard to be the best. Regardless of their achievements on the field or the golf course, my grandfather admired them for the men they were and their behavior on and off the field/course.

I'm not overly religious or spiritual, but I'd like to think that somewhere, in some way, my grandfather now has the chance to shake Mr. Palmer's hand and say thank you.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
Has there ever been a more revered and admired person in sports history? I think not.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ryan Coles

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
For what he did for the Open Championship alone, he's a hero in my eyes.

I didn't appreciate him when I was a kid watching golf early 90's. Felt he milked it too long and clogged too much air time and that golf was too lenient in letting those no longer competitive take a space. I don't think that now - he earned the right and gave enough back to do as he pleased.

Golf tends to attract ass holes. Especially so for those who become proficient in the game. I wish more pro's who followed on from him took a leaf out of his book. The only one I can think who even comes close to the next ballpark is Mickelson.

Doug Wright

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 07:43:33 PM »
The King was a true legend and a giant in the world of golf and life. I was truly fortunate to have met Arnold twice, at age 15 (as his forecaddie at an exhibition in Smethport, PA--what an easy job!) and again two years ago after a speech he gave in Palm Springs. What a gracious gentleman. I will miss him.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Terry Lavin

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »

My grandfather was not a golfer (nor much of a sports fan in general). He spent his time working to support his family, but like Mr. Palmer, my grandfather was generous with his time and support for his family. But even though my grandfather was not a dedicated sports fan, there were two athletes he admired all his life -- Bob Feller and Arnold Palmer. He admired them because they came from modest beginnings and worked damn hard to be the best. Regardless of their achievements on the field or the golf course, my grandfather admired them for the men they were and their behavior on and off the field/course.

I'm not overly religious or spiritual, but I'd like to think that somewhere, in some way, my grandfather now has the chance to shake Mr. Palmer's hand and say thank you.

From the heart. Thanks. Arnold Palmer, like the rest of us, wasn't perfect, but his public energy appealed to the good in people. And, as Ryan Coles said, he was a great champion of the Open Championship at a time when it needed an outsider to help us all acknowledge that it is the original and greatest golf championship of all. That's a hell of a single sentence in an obituary.

He made a difference.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »
Golf Magazine did a story back in the early 90's about the 52 things every golfer should do and #1 was shaking Arnold Palmer's hand. Throughout the years I saved that issue and would check things off as I accomplished them. It took about 10 years before I had done everything on that list except shake Mr Palmer's hand. About 10 years ago, I was invited to a breakfast with Mr Palmer. Talk about giddy. At the end, everyone was having a picture done or getting an autograph. When it was my turn, he asked me what I wanted signed and I told him nothing, I just wanted to shake his hand. He smiled and shook my hand.

I remember that cover picture and story very well. I almost got a chance to do it but fate intervened. I tell the story here:

https://gregbeau.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/how-i-didnt-get-to-meet-arnold-palmer/

I also mention there the incredible job Golf Channel did last night. There was so much emotion and so many guests and stories on a broadcast that was clearly being produced on the fly and yet was really engaging. And it went on for hours.

What a great man.

Bill Weber

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:52 AM »
Greg, I agree with the Golf Channel tribute. I couldn't tear myself away from the tube all day. Pretty amazing coverage of the great man's passing.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »
I agree but I was a little surprised that it took them a while to acknowledge that AP had passed away. As soon as I heard I turned on TGC and they were still showing the Seniors event. You would have thought that they would have at least had the news on a ticker crawling along the bottom of the screen. But after a while they broke back to the studio and devoted the programming to AP.

Mike Schott

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 08:15:27 PM »
Seeing tributes from so many famous athletes and non-athletes, all glowing and reverential is testament to the man. I never met him but feel that even though Mr. Palmer passed at 87 it was still too early. He seemed immortal.

archie_struthers

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
 :'(

Was blessed to have spent some time in my youth in the temporary employ of the "King" while working as both caddie and supplier of Rolling Rock (33) .  While certainly golf royalty , he was so comfortable amongst all of us regular  folks , hence our love for him .

He is arguably the most uncommon common man ever !   

RIP Arnie

BHoover

Re: RIP Arnold Palmer New
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »
"Today, I'm a proud soldier in Arnie's Army. He was the king of our sport and he always will be." – Jack Nicklaus

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/nicklaus-palmer-removed-i-icon/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:28:10 PM by Brian Hoover »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back