News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Golfing Heaven - Royal County Down
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:02:01 AM »
On the last day of my recent ten day golfing trip to Ireland to participate in the BUDA Cup, I was able to secure a tee time at Royal County Down.  Given that I had only committed to taking the trip a few weeks earlier, I spent most of the lead up time making reservations and plotting out a tour that would take me from Dublin to the northwest Irish coast and back to Dublin with 11 rounds in 9 days – the usual crazy GCA agenda.

As a result I didn’t do any real research on RCD before going other than to know that it was pretty much universally considered top 5 in the world, was considered to be very difficult, and had flat greens.  Unlike many places I’ve been, I hadn’t built up any preconceived notions or great expectations.  I hoped it would be worth the €200.  Well, I was just blown away.  It is golfing heaven for those who appreciate links golf.

In my planning, I knew that I needed to spend the night before at a nearby hotel to make it easy to have a leisurely breakfast and get to a noon tee off time. It became clear to me quickly that the place to stay was the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa – it was both right adjacent the course, upscale and affordable at €120 including breakfast. It turned out to be a wonderful hotel and I wished that I had had more time there.  It is a spectacular building and is very visible from many of the holes on the course.  The sea and wind sculpture in front of the hotel also portended well for playing real links golf.

The hotel fronts onto Dundrum Bay and the course is laid out along the bay to the north of the hotel.  Although the course is laid out along the coast, the sea does not really come into play, although it is visible from many of the high points.

It wouldn’t be Ireland if it didn’t rain.  It was pouring down when I checked into the hotel and it was raining hard with blustery winds when I got up in the morning.  After breakfast the rain stopped and it began to lighten up.  Perhaps it would turn out to be a passable day weather wise.  I was going to play whatever the weather, but what a bummer if I came to a top ten in the world course and ended up playing in atrocious weather.  When my tee time came just after noon, the sun was peeking out and the starter said that if there was rain coming, you would see it come down off the mountain.  See the 8th hole for an example.  Otherwise it turned out to be a perfect weather day, sunny with a two club wind out of the southwest.

The course is right in the town of Newcastle, but lots of trees and shrubbery actually isolate the club from the town.  It is unlike say St Andrews or North Berwick where the town is immediately adjacent and in play on the last hole.  The club is approached on a small residential road between the hotel on one side and residential housing on the other.  There is a simple gate leading to a small parking lot surrounding a grass oval.

The clubhouse is understated and relatively modern with a pristine manicured garden near the entrance and parking lot.  It was quite beautiful but gave me momentary pause as to whether the course was equally manicured.

After checking in you proceed around the clubhouse to a glen bounded by trees and shrubs and the clubhouse. In this wonderfully bucolic setting where you feel like you’ve entered another world are a small putting green (reputedly an Old Tom Morris original green) and a much larger putting green with a small chipping area and a practice bunker.  Hidden in the bushes on the far side are a few hitting bays with nets. 

On the far side of the glen is the starters hut and the first tee.  With players and caddies lingering about, the anticipation is growing. 

A look to the left and there is the 9th green and towering over it in the distance is a mammoth dune with players silhouetted against the sky on top of the dune.  And, the rough areas are festooned with fescue and heather and gorse.  It doesn’t look too manicured any more.  The anticipation is now tempered with a little fear.  The course is reputedly very tough after all.

Having booked as a single I knew that I would be paired with three other players who were also visitors.  After putting and chipping for a while and hitting a few balls into the nets I approached the first tee to meet the playing partners only to find that somehow they’d arrived with four players instead of three and were already teed off a little early.  The starter was very apologetic that they hadn’t realized the fourth wasn’t me and that there was only another foursome after that time.  I was happy to go alone and they were happy to have me go.  I was in no hurry and it would give me an opportunity to see the course a little more and take pictures without disturbing anyone else.  They also encouraged me to play two balls if I wanted.  I did on occasion hit some extra shots.  There were apparently three groups of Australians in front that were having some difficulty with the course and consequently the pace of play was quite leisurely.  All in all it worked out very nicely for me.

The design of the course evolved over time and a good number of people including Old Tom Morris, George Coombe, Harry Vardon, Harry Colt and more recently Donald Steele have had a hand in making it what it is today.  The routing has two returning nines and runs more or less north-south.  All the holes play more or less one way or the other on that axis.  There are no long green to tee walks. Notable features for me were the ferocious bunker style with fescue eyelashes, slightly raised greens with false fronts and sides, and relatively subtle slopes and undulations on the greens.  The routing takes you up and over a couple of significant dune ridges, including the Matterhorn.  In that respect it is different than a number of other famous links courses I’ve played where the routings went between dunes.  The result is that there are a number of blind tee shots.  The line of play is well described in the yardage guide and there are aiming markers for all the blind shots. I found it relatively easy to see how to play the blind shots given the guide and markers although there is certainly trepidation in not knowing what was over the ridge and out of sight.

The course has a reputation for being tough and long and that is certainly true.  But it is not by any stretch unplayable for average golfers.  I can see that it would be possible to run up some scores, but the course can be played and enjoyed.  The scorecard yardages are daunting – the yellow (guest) tees are 6675 yards, which is about 300 yards above my comfort zone.  The red ladies tees are a lengthy 6249 yards which must be a real challenge to many ladies. The medal and championship tees are 6878 and 7186 yards respectively. The SSS for the three men’s tees are 73, 74 and 75.  They also list a slope for USGA followers of 126, 131, and 142 respectively for the men’s tees.  The web site provides some guidance on tee selection.  The championship tees require an ability to carry the ball 250 yards and to have a handicap of 5 or better.  The medal tees require 200 yard carries and a handicap of 9 or better.  Even the yellow tees require a carry of 175 yards.  I chose the yellow tees – no use setting yourself up for frustration and failure.

Hole by hole descriptions to come.   

John Mayhugh

Re: Golfing Heaven - Royal County Down
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:39:39 AM »
You're off to a good start, Bryan.  The introduction gives a good sense of the experience.  Looking forward to the rest.

I was a little surprised to see the yellow tee yardage.  It's been a long time since I played there, and I didn't remember the visitor tees being so long.  I took a look at the scorecard online - the ladies tees are 6249!

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
I took a look at the scorecard online - the ladies tees are 6249!

I was fortunate to spend two nights at the Slieve Donard and have a wonderful 36-hole day there last August...

Regarding the yardages, I played the morning match with my moderns and the afternoon with my hickories.  With hickories, at ~6,200 yards, the course is a stern test.  I remember playing the morning match and taking note of where the forward tees were along the way - wondering how I was going to hit some of the shots required (specifically some of the forced carries) and navigating my way around the links making every attempt to avoid the bunkers.

I will say one of my favorite parts of our 10-day trip were the hickory matches we had at Ballybunion Old, Royal County Down, Dooks, Royal Portrush and Portmarnock - especially the look and reaction from the caddies and starters when we pulled up to the first tee...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:20:44 PM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »
A good start indeed, Bryan; lovely images and fine text, thanks. For a yokel like me, it feels like the next best thing to being there. And, that the starter could screw up, apologize to you, and then send you off as a single with the suggestion that you play two balls makes me like the place already.
Peter   

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
You're off to a good start, Bryan.  The introduction gives a good sense of the experience.  Looking forward to the rest.

I was a little surprised to see the yellow tee yardage.  It's been a long time since I played there, and I didn't remember the visitor tees being so long.  I took a look at the scorecard online - the ladies tees are 6249!

John, my wife Barbara knew she didn't want to tackle RCD at 6249 - our home course is 5285 from the reds - so she teed it forward. With the advice of my caddie, she put her peg in the ground wherever she found a flat spot that seemed like a more acceptable distance.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Steve Salmen

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
In early August, I visited RCD for the first time. I was fortunate to play 3 rounds. I had the same feeling you have described, from the club entrance, to the practice area, to the first tee, through the dunes of the front 9. I was too lazy to do the wonderful write up you have. Look forward to more.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »

The 1st hole is a warm handshake par 5 of reasonable length played from the appropriate tees.  Like many of the holes at RCD, it is not all laid out in front of you.  There is a certain mystery as to where the green sits in the distant dunes.  The two pages per hole yardage guide is quite helpful in describing how to play the hole.

From the tee the driving area looks generous with a fairway that saddles to the middle.  The dunes to the left look dauntingly dangerous while the right looks to have lots of room to bail out.  It looks like it would take a pretty wild right-handed slice to hit it in the sea, but it is there hidden behind the shrubbery.  Fortunately I had a good driver day and was able to hit just right of centre.  The ball went further than I thought it would - the course was playing fast and firm despite the heavy rains overnight.

I don't often look back while playing a hole, but on this occasion with time to spare I did, and wow, what a view.  By the way, you can click through some of these images to get a larger version of the picture that does require some scrolling.

Favouring the right on the drive, of course, is bad strategically for the second shot.  The approach to the green is guarded by bunkers right and left and the whole right side is blocked by a small fescue-covered dune, leaving a narrow channel up the left if you want to try to run the ball up to the green and reach it in two.  All of this is not obvious from where I drove the ball - just the top of the flag poking up.  In an "ignorance is bliss" and "why the hell not", I decided to take a three wood shot at the green, figuring to come up short of the constriction and trouble.

From closer in the constriction and trouble is clear.  What a wonderful look for making an approach to a par 5 very interesting.

As I neared the green, there was my ball just past pin high and about 15 feet for an eagle (duly missed).  I can't remember the last time that I made a 500 yard par 5 in two.  This course was indeed fast and firm.  Perhaps the 6600+ yards won't be that much of a problem as I thought.

A look from the right side of the green with one of the bunkers in the foreground.  The fescue eyelashes were everywhere and can be very penal.  This is one of those places where yelling, "get in the bunker" may be very appropriate from time to time.  Being in the eyelashes is very bad.

Note the slight ridge running up the left (far side in the picture) and the undulations in the green in the preceding pictures.  The greens are far from flat.  They putted true but a little slow by North American standards, but quite appropriate for here.

The green and the second tee, off to the right of the green are again set in a  small idyllic glen surrounded by dunes.  What a setting!

John Foley

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 01:42:39 PM »
Bryan - off to a great start - this is one I am VERY much looking forward to!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
Great stuff Bryan.

My one regret on my recent visit was that we didn't stay in the hotel you did.
I booked it, but canceled at the last minute opting to do what turned into a 4 hour drive -in the rain-and fog--in the dark-after no sleep on the flight before---to Dunfanaghy where we had a house rented for the week.
No doubt Arble would rightfully point out the Shermanesques nature of that event.....

I noted that everyone I came into contact at RCD was incredibly friendly.
Suggesting you play two balls is indeed indicative of this.
This has not always been my impression of RCD.
I must say they went out of their way in every way possible to be friendly and make us comfortable on this particular trip (and we were 3 comp PGA's)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:04:07 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »
Bryan: You got a great rate at the hotel.  Mike and I were supposed to play the course but it was more than challenging just to walk the course and bunt a few balls - the wind was blowing at 50 MPH - I have never been outside with winds that high so being on a golf course is simply impossible - downwind is very cool except you can't take the club back; a ball won't stay on a tee; and balls will be blown off putting greens.   We did walk all 18 holes and the course really deserves its reputation as one of the best in the world - I will have to go back to Ireland and play it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »

John, my wife Barbara knew she didn't want to tackle RCD at 6249 - our home course is 5285 from the reds - so she teed it forward. With the advice of my caddie, she put her peg in the ground wherever she found a flat spot that seemed like a more acceptable distance.

Bryan-Great thread and I am looking forward to you rolling out. Bradley Airport in Hartford Connecticut just partnered with Aer Lingus to offer direct flights to Dublin so this is great.

Rick-Love the way Barbara worked with the caddie to come up with a hybrid distance that would make RCD fun for her. Great stuff that we should hear more about!

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:12 AM »

The 2nd is a fairly short par 4 when played downwind as it was this day.

From the tee you are faced with the first of the blind tee shots and the use of tee colour-coded stones on the dunes as guidance.  This is a relatively modest ridge compared to those that are to come.  From the higher up medal tees you get a better view over the ridge, but the fairway angles right and is still largely blind.  The fairway straight ahead is the 5th hole coming back.  The heather infested dunescape is just perfect for me.

The landing area is still generous and the first cut rough is reasonably friendly in the usual wispy fescue sort of way.  A cut shot for right-handers would seem like the best drive. 

Upon cresting the dune ridge you can see that the fairway angles away to the right and is choked off with a small dune ridge saddle that has an ugly looking bunker sitting right in the middle of the face.  I can't recall ever seeing a feature like this choke point but t looked brilliant to me.  For longer hitters than me some consideration might need to be given to not driving your ball into that bunker or the dunes on either side.  The drive did play downwind and the ground was firm and fast so drives were going further than the normally do for me.

From down in the centre of the fairway at normal driving distances the green is not visible but the flag is.  Not being able to discern the green surface and where the flag is on the green is disconcerting.

From the top of the ridge you can see that the green is pushed up with a steep drop off to the right and two evil bunkers protecting the left side.  It's not clear to me whether it is better to try and fly the ball on downwind or run it on and run the risk of the ball being deflected by the foregreen and false front.  Whichever approach, I expect that centre of the green is a good target irrespective of where the pin is.  The green feels small perhaps befitting the hole's relative shortness.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 03:49:00 AM »

The 3rd hole is a long par 4 that continues north away from the clubhouse and downwind on this day.

There are some wonderful views of the beach and sea if you go up and back to the medal tees.  The beach is not really in play as the hole angles a bit away from the coastline.

Unlike many of the holes, this one is right out there in front of you.  The green is in the distance under the aiming pole but is visible.  For longer hitters the bunkers left and right that pinch the beginning of the fairway are probably not a consideration and the guide's suggestion to carry the left bunker to get the best view and angle to the green should be heeded.  For shorter hitters like me the bunker are just at the edge of my driving comfort zone.  The visual clues suggest threading a drive between the bunkers for safety.  The out and back mowing pattern sort of makes that line look appealing.  The fairway is actually a bit of a hogsback running along the centre mowing line.  There is plenty of fairway over the left bunker as the fairway expands out to the left.  This was one of my poorer drives pushed a little right of the right bunker - from the light rough and with a long second shot, this was a bogey in the making.

There looks to be some wonderful dunes land beyond this hole that are not part of the course.

From the left side of the fairway, the green is indeed visible although it is still a long shot home.  From the right side near the bunker the green is no longer visible, hence the aiming post.  The visuals seem to invite you to hit your drive to the right side, but it is definitely not the right line of play.  It will not kill you, but it certainly makes the hole more difficult.

From short of the green the contours of the fairway are evident and are likely to throw running approach shots around randomly - pure links golf.  The two hairy bunkers on the right can further punish a player trying to run a long blind second shot into the green from the right side of the fairway.  A second shot approach from the left side of the fairway is much more open and the player must only deal with the contours of the fairway short of the green.  Long hitters enjoy a significant advantage here as many would be able to fly the ball to the green.  I'm not sure how receptive the green would be to aerial shots as it plays downwind and is firm.

The green itself is described as flat, but there is movement in it and the subtle breaks can be more maddening that large undulations where the breaks are clear.  And, like many of the greens, a ball near the margins are likely to trickle off the surface.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 04:31:41 AM »
Bryan,

Wonderful and very comprehensive.

Some of the bigger dunes behind the 3rd green now host three new holes on the Annesley course but there are plenty more dunes further out although I think they might be a nature conservation area.

I played some rounds at RCD last year in a men's competition so we were all off the circa 6,900 yd white tees. Jeez even in a moderate wind it was bloody long. I was striking the ball well but the rounds seemed to comprise the endless use of fairway metals and long irons and even a driver from the tee on the par-3 4th.

Wonderful course undoubtedly but in truth too long for me so I applaud Barbara's approach mentioned above.

atb

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 02:05:32 AM »

The path leading through the gorse up a dune to the 4th tee and the tee itself exhibit the fine conditioning of RCD everywhere throughout the course.

The 4th is a long par 3 that is both challenging and photogenic.  The 4th turns back towards the clubhouse and hence into the wind. As a result it played significantly longer than its listed yardage.

The tee provides a stunning panorama of the 4th hole, the surrounding dunescape with gorse, heather, marram and fescue in a delightful panoply of colour, with the Slieve Donard Hotel and mountain as a backdrop in the distance.  What's evident in the yardage guide but not so evident from the tee is the scattering of bunkers in front of the green.  The marram eyelashes provide visual clues to their whereabouts. 

As the yellow tees are listed at 202 yards I pulled out and hit a pretty solid 3 wood and came up 20 yards short of the green!  Into a two club wind it really requires a driver for me, but ego wise it's tough to pull a driver out on a par 3.

Given the length of the shot, there is room to run a ball onto the green, but I'm not sure how plausible that is from an elevated tee and into a brisk wind.  The green is long and narrow and has drop offs on both sides, with the right side potentially providing bunkers or more awkward lies.  All-in-all this par 3 is a big ask for most players I'd guess.

The right side of the green features two cute little bathtub (or is that coffin) bunkers.  I'd imagine that the bunkers might be better than the eyelashes or the native areas on the dune side.  (By now, I expect that Sean must be thinking that there are way too many bunkers out there).

Looking back down the green to the tee you can see that there is enough movement in the green to make putting interesting.

Martin Toal

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 05:44:59 AM »
Brian

This is a terrific review, with great pictures and a wonderful description with detail and affection. RCD is my favourite course in the world - I am from NI - and has enormous variation and subtlety. As you say, tough but playable.

Looking forward to your review of my favourite holes, 13 and 15.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
Bryan,

Thank you so much for posting this tour.  RCD is the one course that begs me to come play like no other.  I can't wait to one day visit.  I look forward to the remainder of your tour.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »
Incredibly detailed tour thus far Bryan.

RCD is unquestionably #1 on my bucket list and your thread just reinforces that thought.

David Davis

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »
Brian,

Awesome tour, you are outdoing yourself here. RCD is also my favorite links course and in my personal Top 5. Wonderful place I hope to return many times in my life.

Look forward to the rest.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 03:29:10 AM »

As you take the short walk up the dune to the right of the 4th green to the elevated 5th tee, the expectation is not that you'll have another blind tee shot, but there you are.  At a healthy 419 yards from the yellow tees, this hole continues back towards the clubhouse and hence into the wind.  It thus plays considerably longer than its stated yardage.

From the tee, your view of the fairway is mostly obscured by another dune ridge with just a sliver of the far side visible.  Although there is a white aiming stone, it appears too far right given the visual cues.  The large bunker left  and behind the the knob in the ridge draws you eye, and the yardage guide provides a yardage to it, so it must be relevant.  A line through the saddle of the ridge looks good and there appears to be mown areas in the distance, but that line is also left of the aiming stone.  Turn out it's the 3rd tee over there.  Visually the hole seems to angle more to the right than the yardage guide suggests, but there are bunkers to the right and real cabbage  in the dunes, so you don't want to push it right.  I suppose on repeated plays one would get comfortable with the right line, but for a one off play it is a disturbing tee shot.

From the left side of the fairway the green is in sight but looks more tucked into the right dunes than I'd expected from the guide.  The hairy fairway bunkers also play with your perception of the distance to the green.  Given that it's most likely a wood or long iron for most normal people to reach this green in two, there is generous room to run a ball in (if you can get it to roll out into the wind).  Trajectory control is useful on a lot of the inward, into the wind holes.

From short of the green, where I came up woefully short, you can see the green just laying on the ground with some tilt and some long low undulation.  One wonders if Coore and Crenshaw were inspired by such greens with the way they build a lot of their greens on the land.

From up on the 6th tee you can get a nice view of the 5th green in a dune amphitheater with the 2nd hole and the sea in the background.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 04:03:55 AM »

The 6th hole, a relatively short par 4, turns back away from the clubhouse and thus was playing downwind - so an already short hole playing shorter still.  What is the catch?

The tee shot is the third blind one so far - this one over a more substantial dune ridge.  The club helpfully provided a spotter at the top of the ridge to monitor play and indicate when it was safe to drive.  I must say that all the staff were most pleasant and helpful throughout the day.  There is a white aiming stone   Again the fairway is pinched down and blocked with a penal bunker that might attract the attention of long hitters.  Most will want to lay up well short of the bunker to provide a full shot into the green.

The fairway is quite rumpled and where your drive ends up can be quite random.  It would be entertaining to be able to see drives land and run out.  The rumpled fairway can also provide for some interesting lies for the short second shot.

The cross bunker may be in play for long hitters, but also provides some visual deception as it is a good 50 yards short of the green.  It also hides the bunker eating into the right front of the green.

From in closer you can see the crowned nature of the green with runoffs all around.  The green is also small as befits a short hole.  Playing downwind is not helpful in hitting such a small green.

Playing Donegal the day before Charles Lund had advised me that being short of the greens at RCD was generally better than being long.  This picture from the left of the 6th green shows the steep drop off at the back.  Also of interest and to be feared are the small rough covered knobs, like the one in the foreground, that are scattered around the course.  Being in one of them can be very penal.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 06:10:08 AM »
Royal County Down a "10"?

If not, why not?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 06:17:42 AM »
I love Royal County Down.

But I think I'd take Portrush and Lahinch ahead of it and Portmarnock and Ballybunion around the same.

Those are my clear big 5.

County Down wins just about every contest on aesthetics and beauty though.

Great tour, Bryan

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 09:10:56 AM »
Ally

Not played any of those you mention but interested in what places the others ahead of RCD. In other words, RCD is ahead in eye candy so what brings it down ?

Niall

Brent Carlson

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 02:09:03 AM »
I love Royal County Down.

But I think I'd take Portrush and Lahinch ahead of it and Portmarnock and Ballybunion around the same.

Those are my clear big 5.

County Down wins just about every contest on aesthetics and beauty though.

Great tour, Bryan

Interesting.  I'd put them:

1. Bally 2. RCD 3. Portmarnock. 4. Portrush 5. Lahinch

Personal preference...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back