News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Shut golf down next Tuesday Oct 4 at !! am for an hour
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »
Let's close golf down next Tuesday Oct 4th, at 11am for an hour...no tee times, no playing, no mowing, no selling, no designing, no shaping...  open a grill or TV room but nothing else...we can all do that..
CR is going to try to get GC to allow it to be pushed...a few places around here are on board..
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

jeffwarne

Re: Shut golf down next Tuesday Oct 4 at !! am for an hour
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
because?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »
I'm not sure why this is a thing, but I'm happy to do my part. I will not be playing golf next Tuesday at 11:00 am. Instead, I'll be a work...but it still counts.

Billsteele

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
I believe that is when Arnie's public memorial service will be held.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
well that could cause a bit of a problem as we are hosting the MET PGA Team Championship final round that day....
I'm all for a moment of silence....

curious how exactly that hour shutdown would work-so anybody who was playing an event or already had a tee time just freezes for an hour on the course?
People celebrate the lives of great men in many ways and at different times.

I spent multiple hours last night researching an hour long tribute show I did on Mr. Palmer this morning-not sure Mr. Palmer would be a fan of shutting down a game he loved so passionately.

but to each his own.....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:38:46 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »
Jeff,
Some of us are doing it....we will just freeze the play wherever it is...but I understand yo issue there...

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »
I'll be playing golf then, weather permitting.  I think that's what Arnie would have wanted me to do.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:21:23 PM »
I will be spotting errant balls on the left side of the 3rd hole at the Glen View Club that morning at the Northwestern women's event, the Windy City Classic. Fortunately for the ladies, their ability to hit fairways far exceeds my ability to spot poor shots. As I recall, the last time I performed this particular task I had about 3 women who missed the fairway at all, and none in spot not readily visible. I fear that stopping the tournament for an hour could cause logistical problems for teams trying to get out of town after the round...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:06:11 PM »
So they pushed this back so as to not conflict with their money making Ryder Cup extravaganza? Great, after all the tributes this week we should be ready for a steady diet of Grapefuit and Vodkas.  Arnie Who's for everyone!!!

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:05:30 PM »
 8)  shut down for an hour ??????????????? ?????????????? ????????????? ???????????????? ??????????????? ???????????????? ??????????????? ???????????? ???????????? ??????????? ??????????? ????????????? ??????????? ??????????? ????????? ?????????

I'm going to play a Palmer Course, thinking what would Arnie do, aggressive, low draw, and how do I get it into the hole?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 11:38:34 PM »
Let's close golf down next Tuesday Oct 4th, at 11am for an hour...no tee times, no playing, no mowing, no selling, no designing, no shaping...  open a grill or TV room but nothing else...we can all do that..
CR is going to try to get GC to allow it to be pushed...a few places around here are on board..

In order to celebrate the most successful athlete/business person of all time?

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »
playing golf ,  I think that's what Arnie would have wanted me to do.

I agree
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Young

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
8)  shut down for an hour ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I'm going to play a Palmer Course, thinking what would Arnie do, aggressive, low draw, and how do I get it into the hole?

My post was referring to those who make a living at golf.  I would hope any Palmer course would be closed for that hour.  If someone is at a course that is open during that time then sure, play if you wish but the business of golf should do something out of respect to the ceremony. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »
We can only hope a story as trivial as this is on the radar a week from today.

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »
I wasted about an hour trying to figure our CR and GC.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:00:56 PM by John_Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Keith Grande

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
...and the answer is?

John_Cullum

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 05:31:58 PM »
CR = Charlie Rymer

GC= Golf Channel

FOM
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »
In my mind, you shut things down when you wish to protest them, not commemorate them. Arnie's death was not tragic. He lived well beyond the average lifespan of any segment of human beings, and he did so in an inspirational way.

I could see spending an hour writing thank-you and congratulations notes to other human beings, as a way of honoring Latrobe's other fine export. That said, I'm always happy to read what Mike Young has to offer. His sagacious advice is authentic, unfettered and direct.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 10:58:27 PM »
Maybe it's my Italian-Canadian upbringing, and my expieriece of seeing widows in mourning wearing black literally for decades, until they themselves passed away; but I was touched when I read Mike's idea. I know it's not the modern way, and it isn't even my way -- but I sometimes find myself wishing that it was. Maybe Ron and many others are right and sane in calling for something 'that Arnold would've wanted', but there is something to be said for simple and quiet times of mourning, and for the 'sacrifice' (in this case, of an hour's worth of golf) that goes with it. We seem as a culture to be unable/unwilling to stop rushing around even for one hour, even to just feel the loss and face it squarely and in silence.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 02:30:52 AM »
Suggest committing to introducing one new person this year to golf. Take them to a range, buy them a package of lessons, have them walk with you for a round of golf. No better way to honor his memory
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 07:09:14 AM »
I'm not telling anyone what to do. The idea was tossed around by some of us and at least 50 businesses I know of are taking that hour off.  The way I see it is if you make a living from an aspect of the game then you can take an hour to watch his memorial service.   BUT to each his own. 

BCowan

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
I'm not telling anyone what to do. The idea was tossed around by some of us and at least 50 businesses I know of are taking that hour off.  The way I see it is if you make a living from an aspect of the game then you can take an hour to watch his memorial service.   BUT to each his own.

Mike,

I commend you and your fellow friends.  Such a noble idea.  Too bad we have such little humility these days.  You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink.   

V. Kmetz

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 04:26:31 AM »
Hello,

So...what came of this? Did local groups indeed take an hour off? Did anyone? What was done during the hour?

If I had a broader platform from which to broadcast I would've introduced a new drink: the "Pennzoil" - which is a 10 oz Arnold Palmer spiked with 2 oz of Graves grain alcohol.

Two or three of those and you'll be the King of any room you're in.

cheers
vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 05:19:53 AM »
If I had a broader platform from which to broadcast I would've introduced a new drink: the "Pennzoil" - which is a 10 oz Arnold Palmer spiked with 2 oz of Graves grain alcohol.

Two or three of those and you'll be the King of any room you're in.
I think Kavanaugh already invented this drink.  ::)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back