News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Does Playing A Great Course Ever Get Old?
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
Continuing with my backlog of modestly interesting ideas.

If you are fortunate enough to regularly play a great course, does the experience ever grow stale, or does it feel great and fresh and exciting every time?

I play most of my golf at Pumpkin Ridge GC in North Plains, a course close enough to home that I encounter no stop lights on my way to the course.  We have two very nice courses, that are generally rated "5 or 6" on the Doak scale.  After playing a couple thousand rounds, there is the occasional intrigue of an unusual shot, but for the most part, the golf is somewhat rote, with a limited palette of shots presented.  Both courses have a nice progression of holes that allow the player to rally on the back nine.  Most important to me, it is a pleasant walk through a beautiful park out in the country that I call home.  There is enough nature and wildlife to keep my senses piqued.  As i get older, the value of the walk relative to the golf has increased.

I enjoy playing our public course, Ghost Creek, considerably more than the private Witch Hollow course.  Though arguably blessed with better land and greater variety, Ghost Creek is generally rated below Witch Hollow.  I play Ghost Creek about 1/5 as often as the private course, which may account for my greater enjoyment.

I don't want members of great courses to reveal themselves, so please speak in general terms.  Many of us here have had the opportunity of playing a great public course dozens of times, which is also relevant.

Using again my experience listening to music, which I have been studying intensively for the last decade or so, I've found there is a limit to the number of times I can listen to a song in rapid succession before it grows a bit stale.    Every few years or so I discover a new song that moves me deeply, so much that I want to hear it pretty much every day.  Thanks to iTunes, I can see how many times I listen before my interest wanes.  These songs may or may not end up being lifetime favorites.  In most cases, I tire of a near daily listening of a new song after about 50 plays; in rare cases this number is closer to 100.

Songs among my all-time favorites sound great every time, as long as I don't overuse them.  I can make the argument that "Like A Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan is the greatest popular song I ever heard, and as long as I listen to it every month or two, it never ceases to amaze and move me.

On the other hand, there is a very small complement of songs that I could listen to on a daily basis.  These tend to be simple, rhythmic songs that act as a sort of daily mantra.  For those who know this one, think "Time Is Tight" by Booker T. & The M.G.'s.  I don't listen to it every morning, but I could.

Almost without exception, any attempt to listen to a song a second time immediately is a less satisfying experience.  I don't think this translates well to golf, where a second daily round can be just as fulfilling.  Golf is an interactive game which takes 3-4 hours, whereas a great song is generally a 3-5 minutes long, and non-interactive.

Another weird topic; let's see if it goes anywhere.  Do you ever get tired of a great golf course?  When I go to Bandon the last few years, I usually play the newer ones.  Everybody is different, with varying desire to repeat pleasant experiences.  Generally, I'm a rather obsessive person, one who benefits from a routine based life.  I like the same fun things over and over.

Tom_Doak

Re: Does Playing A Great Course Ever Get Old?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:17:56 PM »
I don't play any course nearly often enough to get bored with it.

In 30 years I have probably only played Crystal Downs +/- 250 times.  I still enjoy going over there every single time.  But if I was going three times a week, I'd probably get bored.  I'm just not sure if that boredom would ever be because of the golf course, or just boredom with golf, in general.

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »
I think it could become old if you become bored with the game of golf. Otherwise, I don't see how one tired of a truly great golf course.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:31:12 PM by Brian Hoover »

John Cowden

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
I also find that the "value of the walk" has increased over my life as a golfer.   Indeed, I've played one or two courses--by invitation it would not have been appropriate to decline--where the walk was the highest pleasure provided by the landscape.  To walk on a "great" or even simply inspiring course will never get old for me; I'm playing golf.  But that said, the variety provided by different courses is as charm-inducing as any other part of the game.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 01:15:10 PM »
I hope to find out in about a year or two.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
 8)

John,
When learning to play a song on guitar, it seems like i used to listen to a record groove by groove and even slow it up to pick out the notes in a phrasing properly, but even after 102 & 103 Music Theory classes, in the end, R&R and such genre is about emotion, so forget the sterile technicalities, stay in key and play on.  I'd say golf is only somewhat analogous to music, the nuances explored and exploited may come and go with an appreciation only registering a smile or maybe a laugh or shout out, but memorable none-the-less.  One good shot can bring you back, so I'll grow old on a great or not so great course, doesn't really matter as long as I keep playing.  I don;t think it ever gets old.     

and I don't think I'll ever get tired of this... one way or the other.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 02:34:08 PM »
No.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
Stale? Oh yes, as complacency can decend if you're not careful. For example, it is pretty easy to forget that the grass isn't greener over the hill so if you play anywhere of high quality the occasional visit to somewhere of lower quality may be needed to remind you of how good your home course really is.
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
I don't think it ever gets old, but it is easy to take it for granted until you play something that is less than stellar.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:25:38 PM »
If you get bored playing a course, then I would say that defines why it is NOT "great".

A truly "great" course should be one that you could play everyday without ever getting bored.
I would not want to Play, as an example, Pumpkin Ridge every day. But I could play (one of) SF Golf, Chicago Golf, FIshers' Island, the National, etc. every day happily.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Do you ever get tired of a great golf course? 

I think great courses are like great universities, great museums, great other things in life.....they attract really interesting people. I have now been playing Yale for 25 years since I started dating my Connecticut born wife. I have played with judges, pastors, professors, aspiring golf pros, professional athletes, PGA caddies, GCA nuts, and the guy who changes the research cages (mice) in some of the laboratories at Yale Medical.

Yes, I love Yale Golf Course, but the people of Yale Golf Club and their guest are more interesting than the the very interesting architecture at Yale.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 08:06:22 PM »
Nope - it'd never get old if by "great" you mean great architecture.

Great barber shop - no. 
Great valet parking - no.
Great dining - no.
Great weddings - no.
Great dress code - no.
Great golf course architecture - Hell yes!

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »
A truly "great" course should be one that you could play everyday without ever getting bored.

I would get bored no matter what course it was. I just have no interest in playing anywhere near that much golf. It wouldn't be a reflection upon the course.

Sean_A

Re: Does Playing A Great Course Ever Get Old? New
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 04:52:27 AM »

I would get bored no matter what course it was. I just have no interest in playing anywhere near that much golf. It wouldn't be a reflection upon the course.

Si +1...I wouldn't even be interested in playing the same course every week.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:21:50 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

David Wuthrich

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »
I think that is why it is "great", because you can play it everyday and never tire of playing it!

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 01:29:20 PM »
I think that is why it is "great", because you can play it everyday and never tire of playing it!

I wouldn't tire of a playing a great course.

I would get bored with the game of golf if I played it every day though, I assure you.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
One of my criteria when assessing a golf course is "Could I see myself as a member here and play the course a couple of times a week?"

Very few courses pass this test Some very good and even "great" courses fall short simply because I would have no interest in slogging round 7000+ yards of  interminable long par 4s on a regular basis, no matter how good the architecture or pleasing the surroundings.

The other thing I look for is variety - no two holes should be alike and all should be memorable.

Courses that pass the test include;

Delamere Forest
Alwoodley
Ganton
St Annes Old Links
Ladbrook Park
Crosland Heath
Cavendish
Tenby
Reddish Vale

Thankfully I am a member at one of these.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:30:44 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »
I could only "play" a course every day that had more going for it than golf - a great view that easily passes the "walk in the park" test, changing conditions and great people. As such only a links would do, and not just any. There might be 10 in the world?  Though Pebble probably comes close too...

James Brown

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »
No matter how good looking she is, someone is tired of putting up with her. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 08:09:03 AM »
The more I play other places, the more I like my course and I have played some pretty great places.
Mr Hurricane

William_G

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 09:09:52 PM »
The more I play other places, the more I like my course and I have played some pretty great places.

which is nice for you :)
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 09:12:45 PM »
playing a great course or great courses never gets old

yet day to day there are so many other things I'm interested in, that everyday golf is out of the question regardless of how great the course may be
It's all about the golf!

David Davis

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »
No way! Can't imagine how much I'd have to play to get bored with a great course. Take North Berwick for example. 2.5 hour rounds, holes with great interest varying conditions daily due to the links. Never ever would it grow old.

Take away varying conditions, take away fast and firm (then of course you also take away the great course in my mind) and then you have boredom based on daily play at a certain tipping point.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Keith Grande

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »
I'd love to be a case study - hook me up at NGLA or Maidstone or Shinny for a year and I''l let you know... ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 03:53:45 PM »
If you get tired of any golf course, you need to hit your knees and thank God for your good fortune.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back