News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: OT - "36 Hours in Edinburgh"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:58:05 PM »
A few of us will be together next week in Auld Reekie, but we have better things to do and better places to see than what the eejits at the NYT choose to print,  Have a nice Day!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
Rich -

You are certainly welcome to share your better things & better places with us. You're the expert. ;)

DT
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:14:03 PM by David_Tepper »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
Look up "curmudgeon" in any dictionary!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
David

I know a thing or two, but I'm no expert of anything.  One of things I do know is to disregard any post anywhere which only passes on the "knowledge" of some third party of whom the second party knows nothing.  A lot of people ask me about UK golf and living and I'm happy to pass on whatever I know to anybody who wants a first hand point of view, if I have one about what specific things interests them.  I also know enough to never trust a newspaper which claims to know what "all the news fit to print' really means.

Slainte mhor

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
 8)  I enjoyed :

the whiskey museum on the Royal Mile...
walking the Lang Steps up to the castle after learning about the Lang Siege of 1573, though the castle guide laughed that the english make for a bad haggis
a quick bite at Harry Ramsden's fish & chips 
a nip at the Conan Doyle pub
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »
Rich -

Clearly I have a greater degree of respect for the contents of the NY Times than you do. If you believe it to be staffed by "eedjits," so be it.

I have found the NY Times travel articles to generally contain a good amount of useful & helpful information. Given that a fair number of people who read this board pass thru Edinburgh for a day or two at some point during the year, I thought the article might be of interest to them, if not to yourself.

Meanwhile, if there are any specifics in the article you take issue with, please let us know.

DT   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:25:35 PM by David_Tepper »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 10:32:19 PM »
David

Kitchin's restaurant is very good.  Scran and Scallie is highly overrated.  Craigmillar Castle is probably just inside of the top 100 castles within 30 miles from Edinburgh.  Malmaison and Hotel du Vin are both OK, for franchised venues.  The rest of the places the NYT hack mentioned I have never heard of and never care if I ever do.

Don't stop believing, unless you want to learn a thing or two.....

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tim Gallant

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 06:10:36 AM »
David

Kitchin's restaurant is very good.  Scran and Scallie is highly overrated.  Craigmillar Castle is probably just inside of the top 100 castles within 30 miles from Edinburgh.  Malmaison and Hotel du Vin are both OK, for franchised venues.  The rest of the places the NYT hack mentioned I have never heard of and never care if I ever do.

Don't stop believing, unless you want to learn a thing or two.....

Rich

I hope most people disregard this article as you have. One if the best bars and probably my favourite in Edinburgh is on this list, but I would be greatly saddened if it became overrun with tourists...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back