News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Re: Being An Addict Of Carolina Golf
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
In the next couple of weeks (precise schedule not known), I will be in the Ashville Area.  What are the access possibilities at Roaring Gap, Biltmore Forest or Asheville CC?  At Grove Park & Linville, I know you have stay at the resorts.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:48:04 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
Sean:

I saved the mountain courses of N.C. and Virginia for Volume 3 of The Confidential Guide, since they are summer destinations.  It will be out shortly.  But, yes, there are 6-8 courses in the mountains you'd enjoy playing.

Have you played Sapphire Valley near Cashiers?  Really fun, nice walk, no goofy 150' drop shots like others in that neighborhood.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
In the next couple of weeks (precise schedule not known), I will be in the Ashville Area.  What are the access possibilities at Roaring Gap, Biltmore Forest or Asheville CC?  At Oak Grove & Linville, I know you have stay at the resorts.

As far as I know you'd need a member for RG and BF.  Historically, they've been pretty private.  Asheville CC may be your best shot on a call-in.  Grove Park Inn (old Ross, Spence re-do) would be a good public (resort) choice (if you cannot swing one of the others).  There are a number of good holes there (and in my opinion, several poor ones).

Jay Mickle

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 04:56:48 PM »
Played Roaring Gap last week and was informed that they are shutting down for the season on October 10th.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Matt MacIver

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 05:56:23 AM »
Roaring Gap isnt close to Asheville but perhaps on the way to/from somewhere. CCoA is/was going under renovation so be sure to check. Agree on the rest. Sapphire Valley is a fun course but closer to Brevard than Asheville.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2016, 09:57:59 AM »
Shout-out to Duke and UNC's courses in Raleigh.  Easy access from RDU airport, and a great way to bookend a trip.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »
Shout-out to Duke and UNC's courses in Raleigh.  Easy access from RDU airport, and a great way to bookend a trip.

Joe,
I almost typed this very thing earlier, and if you add Lonnie Poole at NC State, it's three really, really good university courses all within 30 minutes of the airport. 

I think Wake Forest plays at Old North State, so that's a bit of a tough one.  The other university facility in the general area is Campbell University's Keith Hills in Buies Creek; 27 holes and a great practice area.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »

Joe,
I almost typed this very thing earlier, and if you add Lonnie Poole at NC State, it's three really, really good university courses all within 30 minutes of the airport. 

I think Wake Forest plays at Old North State, so that's a bit of a tough one.  The other university facility in the general area is Campbell University's Keith Hills in Buies Creek; 27 holes and a great practice area.

Wake's home course is Old Town Club.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the Cliffs course near Greenville - Glassy, Mountain and Valley?

Frank Kim

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
The Cliffs Communities are a collection of 7 courses developed around real estate.  Glassy sits 3000 + feet on top of Glassy mountain with spectacular views and challenging greens.  Tom Jackson is the architect.  Valley is the one and only course designed by Ben Wright.  Mountain Park is the 7th course at the Cliffs and designed by Jeff Lawrence of the Gary Player design team.  The front nine plays around a creek and the back nine is more open and links style.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »
The Country Club of Asheville is currently a construction site, and will be through the fall. Asheville Muni is a fun little Ross in town. But if you're up in the area make sure you don't miss Mimosa Hills in Morganton.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »

Joe,

Wake's home course is Old Town Club.

Oops; thanks!  I knew that...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 06:05:13 AM »
Thanks all.  You have given me plenty to ponder.  The courses mixed with areas which are striking the loudest bells are:

Linville, Grandfather & Boone (any info people have on this area would be appreciated)

Asheville/Charlotte: Charlotte CC, Myers Park, Carolina GC & Biltmore Forest, Wade Hampton

Charleston: CC of Charleston & Kiawah Cassique

Aiken: Camden, Sage Valley, Augusta CC (I now Georgia, but not far)

I am not sure the families would enjoy Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head, so those are choices which will have to be for a time when no women are involved. 

Given the SC choices will be hot as a doberman's breath I will likely try to convince folks to head for the mountains in NC.  I never considered the Linville area before...could be interesting. 

Thanks again.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:54:16 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bart Bradley

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2016, 06:30:43 AM »
Sean:

When is this trip?  I can probably help, send me a PM.

Bart

Carl Johnson

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »
Sean, when you're in the Charlotte area you also ought to try to play Carmel CC's South Course.  Quail Hollow would be another, but I'm pretty sure it's closed now in preparation for next year's PGA tourney.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »
Carl - Quail opened a month ago, evidently in great shape. And Carmel's North Course renovation just finished but I've not heard any reviews yet.

Sean - add Diamond Creek, Elk River and Blowing Rock CC to your mountain itinerary and you'd have a great week, although 3+ hour drive time between the northern most and southern.

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 03:16:43 AM »

Matt

Dunlop mentioned Blowing Rock as a course to see and if he likes, it I am bound to as well.  Unfortunately, I will only have time for two...perhaps three games at most should I venture that way next August.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 06:26:49 AM »

Matt

Dunlop mentioned Blowing Rock as a course to see and if he likes, it I am bound to as well.  Unfortunately, I will only have time for two...perhaps three games at most should I venture that way next August.

Ciao

Then play Blowing Rock, Linville (if you can as I believe you usually must stay there) and Boone. Boone and Blowing Rock are within 5 miles or so,of each other.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
Sean, another thought.  Up in the Linville area, go over and play Mountain Glen (Newland, home of Tom Burleson), George Cobb, architect.  It's an older mountain course where the people play.  I think you'd appreciate it.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »
Sean, another thought.  Up in the Linville area, go over and play Mountain Glen (Newland, home of Tom Burleson), George Cobb, architect.  It's an older mountain course where the people play.  I think you'd appreciate it.

He might if he ignores hole 10 and 13-mainly 13. It is a hoping place though. Great snack bar.

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
Sean:

Bart

Dr B

I trust all is well.  I just saw your post...thanks for thinking of me.

It is quite possible, though far from settled, that we shall be heading to either Asheville or the Linville area.  If you have any connections for that area I would appreciate your help.  Also, help on if Linville or Blowing Gap or whatever is a nice town to stay, plus good hotel options. 

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:22:52 PM by Sean_A »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2016, 05:01:58 PM »
Sean:

Bart

Dr B

I trust all is well.  I just saw your post...thanks for thinking of me.

It is quite possible, though far from settled, that we shall be heading to either Asheville or the Linville area.  If you have any connections for that area I would appreciate your help.  Also, help on if Linville or Blowing Gap or whatever is a nice town to stay, plus good hotel options. 

Ciao

Sean

When is the trip?  Yes, I have a few connections in that area   ;D

Bart
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:04:40 PM by Bart Bradley »

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »
As it happens...it looks like Pinehurst is the place this year.  I just couldn't get a mountain trip organized to my satisfaction.  Still not settled completely on courses but I think one of the Forest Creek courses and Pine Needles are the two front runners.  Thanks again all for help. 

Ciao

John Cowden

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »
Working my way south to north this Fall.  GCC, Chanticleer and River Course; Cliffs Mountain Park; Brights Creek; Champion Hills; Biltmore Forest CC; Balsam Mountain Preserve; finishing in Eastern TN at WindRiver and Houston Hills. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
As it happens...it looks like Pinehurst is the place this year.  I just couldn't get a mountain trip organized to my satisfaction.  Still not settled completely on courses but I think one of the Forest Creek courses and Pine Needles are the two front runners.  Thanks again all for help. 

Ciao

You may already know this, but at the end of September, #4 will close for a Gil Hanse renovation.  You might find it interesting for "before and after" purposes to see it as is if you are going to be there before. 

Hanse is going to make #4 look more like #2 (I don't think they are calling the project a "restoration") and the course is scheduled to reopen in April.  Given only a September-to-April closure, I assume that Hanse will be primarily taking out grassed areas and particularly bunkers.  The most recent work on #4 was done by Fazio in 2000; according to the Pinehurst website, he "reimagined" the course, and added (wait for it...) ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY bunkers.  (I nearly threw up typing that last sentence, btw)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back