News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Jordan Standefer

Re: "Next on the Tee For David M. Kidd"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »
Interesting read, David.  Thanks.

Very interested to see how Rolling Hills turns out, especially considering the Chambers Bay comparison.  As he notes in the article, it's kind of amazing how under the radar that project is flying.

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
Ah Rolling Hills... my high school home course (NLE) that I've clocked a few hundred rounds on (at least).

Some background on this project, which many thought would happen in 2006, not 2016. Rolling Hills formerly occupied a very small hilly property that wound its way between houses and the quarry mentioned in the article where the new course will mostly be.

According to the club site, this has remained the posted version of the layout for the last 3 years:

And here is the layout crudely overlaid and compared to the old course, as I knew it.

It is indeed surprising how under the radar this has been, however the above rendering does not inspire too much confidence, personally. If they are indeed sticking with the above routing, the southern-most 4 holes will not have the width most here would desire.

That said, it will still be a huge improvement over what was there before. Although a great course to beat our high school opponents on (teenagers have trouble figuring out that 3 iron is the play on par 4's, as was the case on the majority), the 6,200 yard, narrow, tree-lined course was not architecturally notable.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
Looks like a neat project...GCA-er Ryan Simper used to work here in HS, and has played it many many times.

While the new holes look more architecturally interesting, and the sand from the quarry will lend a bouncy feel to the turf, it looks like the 100 houses being planned to finance the project will be center stage at RHCC, and will border a bunch of holes.

Seems like an improvement for sure, but probably not a world-beater.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Alex Miller

Stephen Davis

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
I am really excited to see this course as well. Having grown up nearby and played the course several times, the old course won't be missed, but the new site really looks like it has a ton of potential.

Alex Miller

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 04:14:27 PM »
I am really excited to see this course as well. Having grown up nearby and played the course several times, the old course won't be missed, but the new site really looks like it has a ton of potential.

There is potential there, definitely. I do worry about integrating the new land with the old in the routing. The land used from the old course had substantially more elevation change and was more severe. To my understanding they have made efforts to re-grade the quarry and attempt to meld the geographies, but I have not seen anything in person.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

There is potential there, definitely. I do worry about integrating the new land with the old in the routing. The land used from the old course had substantially more elevation change and was more severe. To my understanding they have made efforts to re-grade the quarry and attempt to meld the geographies, but I have not seen anything in person.

No doubt getting the different areas to blend is going to be the real trick of this project, but if it is done right the site has a ton of potential. Regardless, it is great to see something going in on this property. I am surprised that this is as under-the-radar as it is. We have known about it for a while, but considering the lack of quality golf in LA county (outside of LACC, Riv, Wilshire) and especially the South Bay, you would think it would garner more attention. I wonder if there has been a similar project in such a major metropolitan area of the US, that has been so unheralded.

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »

No doubt getting the different areas to blend is going to be the real trick of this project, but if it is done right the site has a ton of potential. Regardless, it is great to see something going in on this property. I am surprised that this is as under-the-radar as it is. We have known about it for a while, but considering the lack of quality golf in LA county (outside of LACC, Riv, Wilshire) and especially the South Bay, you would think it would garner more attention. I wonder if there has been a similar project in such a major metropolitan area of the US, that has been so unheralded.

It's some special power that LA's South Bay has- it doesn't exist unless you live/are from there!

Peter Kelly

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
I think part of the lack of "buzz" about this is because locals will "believe it when we see it". It has been talked about for so long that it's difficult to get excited about it until it is actually open for play. I think the buy-in is expected to be steep ($75-$100k?) so mere mortals won't be playing it for awhile anyway. The key will be whether they can sell the lots/houses to pay for the project. I have no idea how that is going...if it's going at all. I'm hoping RHCC will be in our division for SCGA Team Play!

Greg Chambers

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:32:05 PM »

They've moved so much dirt, you won't even recognize the site.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Scott Weersing

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
I am surprised that they went with Kidd over Fazio for a course that is completely artificial and is moving all of the dirt/sand.

Fazio is the best at designing courses where a lot of dirt is moved and I don't recall any Fazio courses in Southern California.

But Kidd did create the Castle Course in Scotland from a potato field.

I might this to the list of best new courses for 2017 but I don't think it will grown in by September 1, 2017.

astavrides

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 08:01:07 AM »
I am surprised that they went with Kidd over Fazio for a course that is completely artificial and is moving all of the dirt/sand.

Fazio is the best at designing courses where a lot of dirt is moved and I don't recall any Fazio courses in Southern California.

The Canyons at Bighorn (1999) Palm Desert
 The Grand Del Mar (1999) San Diego
 Eldorado Country Club (2003) Indian Wells
 Madison Club (2007) La Quinta
 Montesoro (2007) Borrego Springs
 Oak Creek Golf Club (1996) Irvine
 Pelican Hill Golf Club – The Ocean North Course (1993) Newport Beach
 Pelican Hill Golf Club – The Ocean South Course (1991) Newport Beach
 The Quarry at La Quinta (1994) La Quinta
 Shady Canyon (2002) Irvine
 The Vintage Club – Desert Course (1983) Indian Wells
 The Vintage Club – Mountain Course (1980) Indian Wells

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back