News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Pumpkin Ridge Update, With Agronomy Questions
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »
Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club in North Plains, Oregon has been my home club since 1992.  We have two big golf courses (6800 and 7100 yards), one of which is typically open to the public.

The club was sold last year to Escalante Golf, a Dallas, TX "boutique" golf firm with 15-20 premium properties in their portfolio, including Black Diamond Ranch in Florida and Sonoma Golf Club in California.  Though I was skeptical of their new presence and enthusiasm last fall, Escalante has responded by investing substantially in infrastructure, and providing outstanding playing conditions for the members this year.  It's been a wonderful year for golfing at the home club.

At 26-27 years old, the turf has undergone a near complete transition to Poa annua grass.  In the last few years, the Poa has evolved into a tight knit greens surface that allows "rolling" the surface to induce faster green speeds as desired.  The greens roll about 10.5 feet without rolling, and can be increased to 11.5 feet for a couple days without injury.  This is important for our championship style golf courses, as the slopes around the green are rather subtle, and the penalty equation for short-siding yourself is better at higher speeds.

The superintendent since the club's inception has been replaced by a younger superintendent who worked at a nearby course.  Our new superintendent has implemented more aggressive techniques to provide high quality playing conditions, most notably the use of growth regulators in the fairways and seed suppression on the greens.  In addition, he is only aerating the greens in spring, rather than the historical practice of spring and fall aeration.  Here are the primary changes I see from previous years:

1.  I never saw any flowers on the greens all year.  The greens are tight, smooth and fast all the time.

2.  The strangest thing happened on the fairways.  The growth regulator seems to affect Poa annua more than the bentgrass, and fairways this year appear to be 20-30% bentgrass, when in the previous decade the bent didn't seem to exist.

3.  I am concerned about what appears to be a growing presence of bentgrass in the primary rough.  Bentgrass rough lies are not only difficult, they are no fun.  It's wet and mushy, and only one strategy is possible.

4.  Currently, a few areas of greens look a bit bare, but that may be a function of preparing for the August Web.com tournament.

Overall, the year has been brilliant for golf.  My question to the agronomists is this: Are there long term consequences for applying growth regulators and seed suppressors to turf?  It seems that suppressing the natural flowering of Poa annua might retard its evolution into the tight hearty surfaces that the Pacific Northwest is renowned for.  With respect to the growth regulator in the fairways, I have no idea about that.

Thanks.  I appreciate your input, though I realize there may be reluctance to comment on another super's practices.  I just want to know the potential drawbacks if possible.  Feel free to message me privately if you feel shy about making public comments.  I will your keep your thoughts confidential.

Dave McCollum

Re: Pumpkin Ridge Update, With Agronomy Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:08:06 AM »
John,

I can't help with your questions.  Our Poa gets blitzed with 100 degree days.  It's a real problem in cool, wet
Springs and I feel the PGR's are a useful tool to keep the green playing surfaces a reasonable speed and prevent flowering seed heads.  We don't see an evolution of Poa into a fine grass.  Once it gets hot, the other grasses take over.  Sorry, my friend, to offer so little.

Dave     

Pete Lavallee

Re: Pumpkin Ridge Update, With Agronomy Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »
John,

I would agree that cultural practices for Poa Annua has taken a giant leap forward in the past few years. Even in SD we have noticed that greens are tighter, less bumpy and most importantly drier which means less invasive ball marks and footprints around the hole. Certainly Primo has to be one of the ingredients in this equation. Fortunately TP has invested in the modern sideways greens roller and BP gets to borrow it. BP is now able to present a much smoother and drier putting surface, even in the hotter months. During this years King's Putter event at Eugene CC the superintendent gave a presentation. He indicated that Primo was a vital tool in presenting the course in a condition that would warrant hosting the NCAA Championships. He said that Primo has a 21 day cycle and if he doesn't reapply by then the results are obvious. He indicated that he could now get his greens in the 13-14 range for special events. Those speeds on those sloping greens are just mind bending, but golf has evolved to a point that to keep scores in check on layouts of 7000 or less these measures are needed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:30:09 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Pumpkin Ridge Update, With Agronomy Questions New
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »
Im going to guess that you're seeing the positive effects of paclobutrazol, or Trimmit. Trimmit suppresses Poa much more than primo ever did and even allows for bentgrasses to out compete. Because it suppresses the Poa so well, it really keeps the surface from being bumpy later in the day, allowing the bent to creep.
 Primo has been around for 20+ years. Studies have shown that higher rates are needed to suppess the Poa, much higher than the bent needs, thus allowing more Poa to to come in.
  Lot of guys in the northwest using Palco with great success.
  Embark is another growth regulator that has a strong except on Poa, but it's being discontinued.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:15:06 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back