News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

13th at Stonewall --- put the hole on the ground.
« on: September 14, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
It appears to be just placed on the ground but uses the Flynn principle of angling the hole.
AKA Mayday

Matt_Cohn

Re: 13th at Stonewall --- put the hole on the ground.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »
Explain? Happy to comment but I'm not sure what you mean. The teeshot is about as dead straight as you can get. The approach shot has a lot of slope although I wouldn't say angle, really.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:33:04 PM »
The slope down to the green is not just straight down the hill like 16( I like 16 ) It runs from right to left.
Then the green continues to move subtly to the left and seems to be an extension of the fairway   
It appears that little earth was moved.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »
The slope down to the green is not just straight down the hill like 16( I like 16 ) It runs from right to left.
Then the green continues to move subtly to the left and seems to be an extension of the fairway   
It appears that little earth was moved.

Mike:

Yes, no earth was moved from the landing area to the green on #13.  In fact, there are several other holes at Stonewall with the same sort of side-hill approach ... #6, #11, #14, #17, and even #18.  If you're not flying it to the green, you have to decide how high up the slope to play, so your ball will come back down to where you want.  And then, if you miss to the high side, you leave yourself with a very difficult up and down.  For many, the best play is just to aim at the flag, and wind up below the hole.

mike_malone

Re: 13th at Stonewall --- put the hole on the ground. New
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 10:54:08 AM »
I see much Flynn influence.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:03:53 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
Stonewall (Old) was the first course I ever played where sometimes the correct target on the approach shot was not only not at the flagstick, but also not at the green.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back