News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

How many would have just walked by...
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
the green site for the 5th at Biltmore Forest? So subtly placed in the slightest of depressions with the land naturally flowing into it. How did Ross locate where this green would live and how many others would have walked right by not recognizing the potential this simple green placement would hold?

Tommy Williamsen

Re: How many would have just walked by...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
Ben, I played BF this last spring. I remember this green site and wondered if it was in the original routing. Are you sure it was? By the way, I just loved the course, the terrain, routing, and greens complexes were stunning.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
Tommy,

I can't say for sure, but it appears in the same place on this 1927 plan of Biltmore Forest.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:30:57 AM by Ben Hollerbach »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
Yes, the temptation would be to enhance those slopes a bit, but it isn't really necessary.

Or, as you say, to avoid the valley for the green for drainage reasons.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »

Often times I wonder in golf, as it seems to be in society, why are people so hell bent on enhancement for aesthetic sense. These simple natural slopes produce a wonderful defense as they are virtually unseen by the golfers eye. Playing this hole, my group had 3 birdie putts from inside 20 feet, all 3 of us recognized the slopes leading towards the hole but all 3 misjudges the effect they would had on the putt. Needless to say, the group walked away with a bunch of pars but not a single birdie.

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »
I wonder if the green site was modified at some point. Old aerials (1951) show two long bunkers paralleling the fairway that start about 50 yards short of the green and finish just to the left of it. There is also a circular bunker on the right front. The current green appears to be in the same location as shown in the aerial.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back