News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Fedeli

Re: Why Kingsbarns?
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »
Well, I'll be playing in Scotland for my first time ever in a couple weeks, and Kingsbarns is one course on the menu. I see no reason to skip it as I play courses like Kingsbarns about as often as I play courses like Cruden Bay and North Berwick, meaning: infrequently and after traveling a great distance. So that's why Kingsbarns for me. I don't expect it to compare to TOC, nor would I want it to, but I'm every bit as excited to play it as I am to play all the others.

You're going to have a great time. Wish I was going myself. Please give us a full report. Even a pic or two.

Thank you, John. I shall report back.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
John,
For me, one of the most interesting things about Kingsbarns is the work you don't see.
Constructed on some old, VERY flat arable fields, it's really a marvellous testament to the combination of very clever design, meticulous eye for detail and phenomenal workmanship.
Having walked it every day for a couple of seasons a few years ago, I came to truly admire the way it had been brought together.
It's also, of course, a pretty decent golf course, albeit rapidly pricing itself out of the pocket of your average Scottish/British golfer (unless you're an R&A member, who get very preferential rates). What a pity...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 03:37:49 PM »
I've decided that what threw me was the entry road. It and the parking lot were built to American standards. Completely took me out of my Scottish mojo. Proper Scottish roads and a period clubhouse may have won me over....For the first 17 holes anyway.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 05:17:13 PM »
Come play Leven next time.
That should revive your MacMojo!

M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 05:29:31 PM »
With the exception of sacrificing the odd virgin at TOC I doubt I will ever venture further than North Berwick again.

David Davis

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 06:08:55 PM »
With the exception of sacrificing the odd virgin at TOC I doubt I will ever venture further than North Berwick again.

Cruden Bay? Dornoch?

Are you sure about that statement?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Matt MacIver

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 11:16:54 PM »
It's one of my favorite courses, anywhere, and I would play it again in a heartbeat...except: if I ever get back again I'd need to see so many new courses...and the cost is prohibitively working against that idea. While I really love it, it's not a replay course given so much yet to be seen. But it's #2 in Fife!

Lyndell Young

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:40 PM »
Played Kingsbarns a couple of weeks ago I really enjoyed the course.I thought it had some excellent par threes.Heck I even enjoyed the Castle course had my best round there. i guess I'm just in the minority.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 02:19:47 AM »
Come play Leven next time.
That should revive your MacMojo!

LOL

Is the noisy Amusement Arcade still over the road from the 1st tee ?

Niall C

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 03:03:16 AM »

Cruden Bay? Dornoch?

Are you sure about that statement?

He's clearly never heard of Forfar either.

Niall

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
Played Kingsbarns a couple of weeks ago I really enjoyed the course.I thought it had some excellent par threes.Heck I even enjoyed the Castle course had my best round there. i guess I'm just in the minority.

+1
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
I'm astonished to find myself agreeing with John increasingly frequently.  Yes, it's a very nice course.  The whole American country club thing is just wrong in Scotland, however, and there are so many proper courses in the area that I don't find myself particularly wanting to return.  Also, it's really easy.  In fact I think it is the only "links" I have played that has obviously been designed to flatter the golfer.  That is so un-Scottish.  Even Elie is harsher on bad shots that Kingsbarns.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ken Moum

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »
The whole American country club thing is just wrong in Scotland

Yeah, the thing is, I've gotten to the point where I am so disappointed in the golf and golfers i play with here, that ANY course lauded by the typical American golfer (not GCAer) is going to slide down my list--a loong ways.

On my first trip to Scotland, just about every American I ran into in Fife, and maybe even East Lothian, asked me, "Have you played Kingsbarns?"

Being a smartass, I told each of them, "Kingsbarns opened in six years ago, I'm still working on the 1890s."

On that trip my wife and I were accompanied by another couple who LOVE American golf, but wanted to go to Scotland anyway.  They bitched the whole time but said they loved it.

When my friend and I met Euan Grant, then head greenkeeper at TOC, he asked what we'd played. When I got to Brora on my list, Euan said "Brilliant!"

His boss said, "Larry didn't like Brora," and Euan turned to Larry and said, "Heathen."

I suspect that to this day he thinks I put him up to it.

Larry loved Nairn, and would have been over the moon about Kingsbarns.

I'm just damned glad I didn't schedule us there.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Also, it's really easy.  In fact I think it is the only "links" I have played that has obviously been designed to flatter the golfer.  That is so un-Scottish.  Even Elie is harsher on bad shots that Kingsbarns.

The above is an astute observation. Thank you, it's all coming into focus.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2016, 04:40:15 PM »
Well, I payed it in a massive wind and was greatly surprised and impressed with how I could use the ground game to my advantage. Maybe without the wind it would have been too easy....

Nah - golf is hard for me wherever, whoever, etc.  Still love it.

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
I'm astonished to find myself agreeing with John increasingly frequently.  Yes, it's a very nice course.  The whole American country club thing is just wrong in Scotland, however, and there are so many proper courses in the area that I don't find myself particularly wanting to return.  Also, it's really easy.  In fact I think it is the only "links" I have played that has obviously been designed to flatter the golfer.  That is so un-Scottish.  Even Elie is harsher on bad shots that Kingsbarns.

TOC is fairly easy the way the Trust sets it up for visitors.  Brora is fairly easy.  Easy is not an indictment of a design.  It might even be considered a huge boon because we expect more out of games and wonder what the problem is.  Of course, the problem is the courses ain't as easy as we expect and we aren't as good as we think.

Bottom line, there is plenty of golf for the likes of you and 99% of golfers of all three courses. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:19:10 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2016, 05:25:21 AM »
Sean, yes, TOC is set up easy for visitors.  Elie is also easy.  I love both.   You seem to be under the impression that I like hard for hard's sake.  I don't.  What I like are courses that reward good play and offer exciting shots, which need to be made.  Play moderately at TOC Aand shoot at flags and those bunkers will take their toll.  Ou'll also spend a lot of time failing to get up and down  and end up wondering how you took so many without getting in real trouble.  Play moderately at Kingsbarns and you'll end up wondering how you scored so well despite that.  Bad shots get kicked back into good places.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back