News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Hendersonville Country Club
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »
Anyone familiar with this mountain course in Hendersonville, N.C.?

My buddy in Pensacola is still looking for a summer getaway.  Please let me know pros and cons, thanks.

Kris Spence

Re: Hendersonville Country Club
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
Bill, I have walked the course a few times and played it one other, it is a great Ross course.  The course has been difficult to join in the past but Im sure that has changed.  The membership average age about 10 years ago was approaching mid 60's I think.  I have a few friends who belong there and I could certainly ask about membership opportunities If you would like.  Email me at kspdesign@aol.com if you would like that info.

The greens are some of the best original Ross greens in NC, all 18 are still in existence, however, they do not play the old 10th a short 3 par behind the clubhouse.  I encouraged them to put it back in play but the GM at the time added a hole behind his house that is a dreadful straight down hill 3 par, I think the 11th.  The topography has great variety with some heavy contour and articulation in the landing areas.  Most of the bunkers are still intact, I remember seeing remnants of filled in bunkers and a few added bunkers.  The greens are very special and the course is definitely worth a look. 

Based on my visit 8 or 9 years ago, I got the impression it was more country club versus golf club.  The conditioning at the time was a bit on the soft & lush side, however, they have a new super from the atlanta area I think and I hear the conditioning has greatly improved. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »
Thanks, Kris, that's exactly the kind of info Chris was looking for.  Not a lot of pure old Ross around, sounds very interesting!

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:52:11 PM »
Bill, for what its worth, I believe Hendersonville is around 2000 ft above sea level.  I think its usually necessary to get a bit higher elevation in order to see much of a temperature change.  So if your friend wants a cool spot to spend the summer, he ought to check the standard temps in Hendersonville to make sure they are in the range he is looking for.  Good luck!

Ed

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
Anyone have any pictures at all of Hendersonville? 

Apologies to John Kavanaugh in advance.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:53:05 AM by Joe Sponcia »
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Adam_Messix

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 09:40:53 AM »
Ed is correct in terms of temperatures.  You have to get to at least Toxaway before you start seeing a significant temperature drop in the summer. 

Kris' take on the course is accurate, a fun Ross for sure and the kind of course you could play every day.  There are some very visible cart paths there if that sort of thing bothers you. 

Kevin Robinson

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 11:51:35 AM »
I grew up 30 minutes from HCC and played it several times. Kris is absolutely correct about the old #10 - the hole they built to replace it, #11, is a huge blemish on what is otherwise a really neat, fun golf course. Topography-wise, it is much more similar to some of the courses in the North and South Carolina Piedmont areas than the "mountain" Donald Ross courses in WNC such as Highlands, Biltmore Forest, or even the Muni in Asheville.

A couple of things that I noticed at HCC even before I had any interest in golf architecture:

- Possibly the most interesting green complex in the entirety of WNC resides at HCC. What I believe is the 8th green (been 15 years since I've been there) is a short downhill Par-4 to a green that is situated on top of a small hillock that is a spur of a larger hill behind it. The hillock juts-out at a sharp angle to the line of play and is also approximately 6-10 feet above the fairway-with a couple bunkers cut underneath the green surface into the side of the hillock. It resembles a rocky island rising up out of the fairway.

- The 18th fairway, and the one immediately adjacent to it (#16?) always gave me the impression of being in the middle of two gigantic swells in the ocean - to the point of not even being able to see the entire green from about 180 years away - between the swells. Never a flat lie in either fairway, particularly #18!!

- #17 is a dead-uphill, tough finishing hole that plays considerably longer than the listed 200 years.

- Perhaps Kris has come across better information, but I was told early on that, while the course was certainly designed by Donald Ross, he did it over a topo-map, and never actually made a site visit. It was built to Ross's plans by a local crew - which makes the aforementioned #8 all the more intriguing, in my mind.

- When I was growing up and just becoming aware of golf (late 70's-80's), Hendersonville was considered perhaps the most "clubby" of the private facilities in the Asheville area - meaning it was the center of social life for it's member families and a huge social institution for the town's professionals and business owners. Biltmore Forest was very WASPY and I think, even though Asheville has never been a very religiously-divided city, the CC of Asheville was home to both the city's Jewish golfers AND the professionals in town who did not possess the DNA to get into Biltmore Forest.

- Adam is right, no huge difference in Summertime temps...but in WINTER Hendersonville is usually 5-10 degrees warmer than my hometown of Canton, 40 miles to the West.

- Hendersonville CC at one time, I think, had 100% Poa greens.

- I don't remember which year they did it - but HCC was the first golf course in WNC to go wall-to-wall Bermuda Grass.

- To my knowledge, HCC was (and remains) the only facility in WNC that had a separate building for the golf shop, like many of the old-money clubs like Yeamans Hall, Camargo, Chicago, SLCC...etc...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:05:08 PM by Kevin Robinson »

John Cowden

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 02:24:45 PM »
Kevin, I have a considerable interest in your insights here, from Cashiers to Greenville to Asheville to Boone.  Would you mind sending me your contact details off site?  Cheers. 

Kris Spence

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:25 PM »
Kevin, I have copies of the Ross field notes in his hand writing, pretty good evidence he was there.  The course was named Laurel Valley back then.  I haven't seen the course in years, not sure if they still skip the little 3 out back of the clubhouse or not, shame!  I like the course a lot, the topography is very diverse moving in pretty much every direction.  I remember the greens being very deceptive with great features still intact. 

A must see/play for Ross aficionados !!!

jim_lewis

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 12:08:18 PM »
Kris:

I can report that the super at HCC has been there for several years now, probably at least 5 or 6. His name is Craig DeJong. He is a friend of mine and a fine young man who got his start at Forest Creek. Blake Bickford and Tom Fazio are members at HCC, and I have it on good authority that Craig deserves credit for the excellent course conditions. Craig went to HCC from Hasentree CC in Wake Forest which was his first head super job. He did a great job of growing in that course during extreme drought conditions.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Jeff Loh

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:12:57 PM »
is it as "good" as Mimosa Hills?
Played that last week and was blown away.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »
is it as "good" as Mimosa Hills?
Played that last week and was blown away.

I think HCC is as good as Mimosa Hills.  I like them both a lot.  With a little work, Hendersonville could be terrific.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
Thanks Mark
Tried to get on Hendersonville and was rejected ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back