News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Classic courses that change their bunkering style
« on: September 02, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »
Is this a common trend?   Numerous classics have restored the frilly Mackenzie style bunkers over the last few years but I'm unsure of any classic that has moved toward a resort style bunker style.

I'm particularly interested in the new bunkers at Olympic Club, a historic 1927 course that has again retained Bill Love to add flair to the bunkers.

"Golf Course Architect Bill Love and his associate, Brian Kington were hired to add flair to the bunkering and create additional challenge around the greens".
[/size][/color]
[/size]http://www.capillaryconcrete.com/dramatic-bunkers-at-the-olympic-club/[/color]

[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

David_Tepper

Ian Andrew

Re: Classic courses that change their bunkering style
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »
Joel,

This list is very long.
Just go through all the US Open courses and tell me what's intact.

Even the rota courses overseas have gone through major changes in many cases.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

MClutterbuck

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:37:33 PM »
Using concrete in bunkers sounds too artificial to me...

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
Is this a common trend?   Numerous classics have restored the frilly Mackenzie style bunkers over the last few years but I'm unsure of any classic that has moved toward a resort style bunker style.

I'm particularly interested in the new bunkers at Olympic Club, a historic 1927 course that has again retained Bill Love to add flair to the bunkers.

"Golf Course Architect Bill Love and his associate, Brian Kington were hired to add flair to the bunkering and create additional challenge around the greens".

http://www.capillaryconcrete.com/dramatic-bunkers-at-the-olympic-club/

There's so much flair in those bunkers, that the concrete shows through on many of the faces. It's one thing to redesign them, it's another to mis-design them. I hope one day that someone can un-design them, so that someone can redesign once again.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »
Joel,

This list is very long.
Just go through all the US Open courses and tell me what's intact.

Even the rota courses overseas have gone through major changes in many cases.

Oakmont, Southern Hills, The Country Club, Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Pinehurst, LACC are intact.  Pebble and Oakland Hills probably not, and Merion I'm not sure.

St. Andrews has gone to the all reveted look but Muirfield and Royal St George are intact.

This Olympic Club is just a maddening exercise of a GM and golf architect gone mad with stupidity, power and unlimited money. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
Joel,

I've always loved the "California" or "Hunter/MacKenzie" style of bunker.

Having said that, I think the new bunkering at the Dunes Course at MPCC is terrific.

I never had the pleasure of playing the original Raynor course, so I can't make a comparison,
but, I think that other than the centerline bunkers on # 13 that the bunkers turned out great.

I never played the California Club prior to the recent work, but I like the current bunker style.

I'm hoping to play the Meadow Club bunkers next year

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back