News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re: GCA Outing: Erin Hills on August 30
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 07:26:17 AM »
Steve Green and I will be playing Sand Valley Monday afternoon in case anyone would like to join us!

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Howard Riefs

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »
I still have at least one open spot if anyone's interested.  Let me know and I'll provide pricing via DM. I need to provide the final list of attendees to Erin Hills on Friday so we have another day or so to decide.

Btw, Erin Hills is all booked up for the rest of the year. And they don't re-open to the public until after the U.S. Open next June.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:08:26 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 12:09:46 AM »
Tee times/Pairings available now in the first post.....
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 11:09:41 PM »
Updated pairings in the first post. Had to make some changes to accommodate some players adding, dropping and caddie accommodations.

Jason Way

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 09:44:24 PM »
Many thanks to Howard for putting together yet another outing.  Erin Hills was much better than I remembered it from a few years back, and I am now really excited to see the U.S. Open head out there next year.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Bill Seitz

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 12:43:32 AM »
Thanks to Howard for setting this up (and driving).  Also a big thank you to John Morrissett for helping to put this together and for speaking to the group along with superintendent Zach Reineking.  The course was in terrific shape despite a lot of recent wet weather. 

As a walking only golf course, I didn't find the walk particularly difficult, although the green to tee transitions are an indication that this is a course was built to host a major championship more than to a pure walking golf course.  I measured a total transition distance of about 2,500 yards from the center of the green to the green tees.  That's meaningless with no context, so I also checked my home course (Kingsley), and the transitions at Erin Hills add more than a half mile to the walk in comparison.  But I think that's a fairly mild criticism.

Of the changes I can recall from the pre-renovation, I'd say I like most of them.  I miss the dell hole, but I think the new seven is a really good par five.  The first hole plays a lot better than it used to in my opinion.  The 15th green is a lot better than it used to be.  Two green seemed really small, but it's hard to believe it's twice the size of the old green.  And there was something about playing nine as a meaningful hole that made it a lot better, even though it's the hole that probably changed the least.

Now that I've seen the updates, I'm really looking forward to watching the open.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »
It will be a perfect site for the US Open, especially in contradistinction to Chambers Bay.  It will look better, flow better and play better than CB.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back