News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Ladbrook Park GC
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:13:24 AM »
Every year the Alister MacKenzie Society plays the Harry Colt Association in a match for the "Partners Salver". The venue alternates between a Colt course and a Mac track.

Later this month we will assemble for this year's contest at Ladbrook Park near Birmingham.

Where?

Exactly!

No-one seems ever to have heard of it.  What does anyone here know of Ladbrook Park?

http://www.ladbrookparkgolf.co.uk/

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:30:27 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Ladbrook Park GC
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:17:55 AM »
I don't know the course myself but I have a newspaper clipping from 1914 that says the members had agreed to go ahead with the remodelling of the course according to a plan created by Colt at an expected cost of about £1,000.

Whether the project proceeded at that time, or was delayed by the war, I don't at this time know.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:37:01 AM »
Nice website, enjoy yourself.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:36 AM »
I agree Mark, that the website makes the place look very enticing.

Did you play there in your Midlands days or does the brevity of your comments say it all?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:22:20 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 08:09:21 AM »
Ladbrook Park is a somewhat hilly course with some odd holes and quite tight in places. Its not a course I have a lot of time for, but it ain't bad.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 04:48:17 AM »
No, I didn't play it, and didn't know of its existence, more's the pity.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 02:42:50 AM »
Ladbrook Park is a somewhat hilly course with some odd holes and quite tight in places. Its not a course I have a lot of time for, but it ain't bad.

Ciao

Are you sure we're talking about the same course, Sean?

Thomas Dai, Neil White and I played Ladbrook Park yesterday and found it gently undulating rather than remotely hilly, quite spacious, and consistent in quality.

There are several very good memorable holes and none that could be considered "odd".  Many of the greens were devilish with some wicked pin placements.We all really enjoyed it.

I would have thought that you would find a lot to like there. Perhaps it rained on your visit...   ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:34:31 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:42:06 AM »
I go along with what Duncan has said. There's lots to like at Ladbrook, thoroughly pleasant private members (and visitors) golf and very friendly.

Ladbrook is not as excessively tree lined as many older courses have become - copses and spaces for the most part rather than claustrophobic avenues. Not as hilly a site as say the not to far away Edgbaston. In comparison with Edg' then the Edg' has the more consistantly Colty greensites - the first few greens at Ladbrook are a little less Colt-like than those later on in the round which makes me wonder about re-work by someone else at some later time. Ladbrook has Strong par-3's. The famous par-4 17th is the stand-out hole. The food in the halfway house received many plaudits. I have some photos and will post a few when Photobucket is behaving.
Atb
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:15:58 AM by Thomas Dai »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
Some photos from Ladbrook Park -

Below - the green on the par-5 7th hole, which slopes more than it appears in the photo and has a huge hollow in front of it, with in the background, the rather nice par-3 170 yd par-3 8th hole.

Below - the 340 yd par-4 17th with to the left the evil green on the 180 yd par-3 12th hole.
The 17th fairway has a crossing ditch at circa 180-200 yds from the tee. The rise on which the green sits is approx 25ft above the fairway and there is a pond short-right of the green.

Below - the 17th photographed from behind the green. To the right in the photo is the green of the 320 yd par-4 11th hole.

See also -

Club website - http://www.ladbrookparkgolf.co.uk/

Googlemap aerial map - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3442964,-1.8526785,933m/data=!3m1!1e3

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back